Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Controls Question.

Options
  • 14-10-2007 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just trying to make sense of heating controls before i install them,maybe someone can give me a simple answer......

Basically i want to zone every rad in my house back to my hotpress using underfloor heating actuators,and have a programmable thermostat in each of the rooms controlling the individual zones.

Take for example 2 seperate rooms.....
    My living rooms is programmed to operate between the hours of 6pm to 9pm
    My bedroom is programmed to operate between the hours of 9pm to 10pm

My question is say around 8pm in my livingroom i feel my house is warm enough and i feel i dont need the heating on any more. Can i simply go to a main control thermostat which controls everything in the house and switch the heating off ( to make sure the bedroom zone doesnt come on) or will i have to go around to every room and reprogramme each thermostat thats is programmed to come on after 9pm.

Hope i explaned simple enough. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It all depends on the programmer you install. You should certainly have a switch that turns everything off when you want it, but you may want to turn it off tonight, but want it to come on automatically tomorrow - so you need to research the programmer you plan to install.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

The way I deal with this issue is that I have a bank of switches that control each rad.

U may save some money by just using wall stats [wired or wireless] to control the rooms and not the more expensive programmer types

The other thing is I have a master switch whih isolates the whole chebang, so if going away in summer and want all off, hot water etc, just one switch!

What circ pump are u using: IMO u need a grunfos Alpha or similiar which adjustes the output, depending on how many circuits are open and will almost close down if all are shut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you should be able to do that with the right controls basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jbayley

thanks lads ill just research the programmers a bit more,there surely is a master switch for all the rooms or somethin along the lines of that

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

jbayley - have exactly the setup you describe and I used heatmiser to control the system. I could use their master controller to switch all heating off and porgram stats but now have it connected to PC. You can also just turn down the temp in any room and at the next switch setting it will revert to preset levels. I dont use the master controller anymore and after 12 months in the house very rarely have to adjust the stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

jbayley wrote: »
    Can i simply go to a main control thermostat which controls everything in the house and switch the heating off ( to make sure the bedroom zone doesnt come on) or will i have to go around to every room and reprogramme each thermostat thats is programmed to come on after 9pm.

If I'm correct, at the moment you have a time clock and one thermostat (located in hallway possibly) that controls everything. You should replace the time clock (and remove the thermostat) with a heatmiser master timeclock which controls the times the heating would be on. http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/Heatmiser_TM1N-p-16179.html Then you can stick as many prog stats and actuators/valves as you like on the system but even though they might be requested heat the master timeclock says no, your "out of hours" for heating.

In this way you only have to deal with the master time clock for regulating heating times on a high level. You should install programmable stats even though some of their functionality will be over ruled by the timeclock. You should check with them though if the TM1 does advance. This means that if you decide at 8 pm during a timed ON period that you don't want anymore heating anywhere that you can press one button and advance the heating to OFF and then automatically back on at the next ON time.

So you would have TimeClock controlling on and off times for boiler, then prog room stats controlling temperature variations during different times of the day on their zone.

Remember it would be advisable to fit a bypass valve to allow some flow in system in case of valve malfunction.

Advertisement