Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pet goat?

Options
  • 14-10-2007 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

At the moment, I live in the Caribbean and we have alot of goats around the island. I really like their manner, temperment etc. I would like to get a goat when we go back to Ireland to live next summer. My girlfriend is not so enthusiastic about it though. Does anybody have any experience with goats and any advice about where to get them, how big a garden I'd need etc. Oh yeah, can you get a dwarf goat breed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

We had a few goats through the years. They are nice and playful when young but grow up to be quite serious and sometimes aggressive animals.

All they want to do all day is eat. So you need a large garden with plenty of grass. Also they will destroy any trees at hand by taking off all the bark and forget about shrubs / flowers etc as they regard them as rare delicacies.

If they find the vegetation on the roadway or neighbours garden looks better they will find a way of breaking out.

All in all they are just not worth it as pets. There can be demand for their milk as it is good for children suffering from some ailments but you could end up in casualty yourself when trying to milk them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

MOD, why dont we ban people who are wasting time on the boards and taking the michael???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

Sorry now, I'm not taking the mick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I wanted to take home the little teeny tiny goat from the Pets Expo in the RDS. Only took up a bit of room and grass, could have managed him. Cute little fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Smelly animals!, although they have beautiful eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭blackbox

Smelly animals!, although they have beautiful eyes.

It's really only the males that are smelly - females and wethers have little smell.

Pygmy goats are fantastic pets - very commonplace in gardens in the Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

mel123 wrote: »
    MOD, why dont we ban people who are wasting time on the boards and taking the michael???
    maybe ye could be banned:D

ciano6 wrote: »
    Sorry now, I'm not taking the mick..
    no ye not taking the mick ye are ok become a mod yourself and ye know what to do!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

I don't have any myself but I have heard of them being kept as pets:D There is actually a goat sanctuary in Clare that I believe rehomes goats occasionally to exceptional homes ;) Its called armargos goat sanctuary, maybe if you google it and then drop them an email;) Im sure sheena would be more than willing to help, or at least give advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We had a Billy goat my brother left at my parents house in South Dublin back in the 80ies, it was a walking garbage collector, ie ate everything in sight, papers, leaves, the bark off the trees etc, it was also vicious and we had to get rid of it.

• Advertisement

We had a Billy goat my brother left at my parents house in South Dublin back in the 80ies, it was a walking garbage collector, ie ate everything in sight, papers, leaves, the bark off the trees etc, it was also vicious and we had to get rid of it.

this is a vicious goat!
    goats_01.jpg
    lol:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

The one's I have met have been sweet tempered and didn't smell bad at all! the little pygmy goats are especially adorable. I'd imagine you'd need a fair size garden as you'd need to get 2 as they are herd animals afaik. You'll also need a shelter for them, a wooden garden shed would probably be fine. And you'll probably need to get hay and feed for them to eat in the winter and bedding like straw for their shed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Watch out for the acrobatic ones - that's my advice!

goats+in+trees.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

Here is the linkie to Sheena's site

http://www.armargos.com/

Her number is 086 8587 142

She can give lots of advice and all her goats are rescued and she would love to home some! She is also a very nice person to chat to.......

Now she will worry that I am being nice to her :D

Advertisement