Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Encryption Key?

• 15-10-2007 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

Just looking for info on where I can get the Encrytion key to access my home wireless from my laptop,

It might me noteworthy that the broadband is provided through a family members job and the ISP is provident.The modem is set up on the desktop and is functioning perfectly, however when i try to connect to the internet on my laptop the program says 'Authorisation process has started' then afew seconds later it changes to 'authorisation process has not started' and an error shows that the encrytion key is missing.

Would i have to contact the ISP to get the encrytion key or can i find it somehow by looking into the connections settings on the desktop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll need to log into the router's interface.

it's normally 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 depending on who the ISP is.

this interface will most likely be passworded as well so you'll need to talk to your ISP working family member to gain access. I'm sure they'd know a whole lot more and the encryption key that you want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just looking for info on where I can get the Encrytion key to access my home wireless from my laptop,

It might me noteworthy that the broadband is provided through a family members job and the ISP is provident.The modem is set up on the desktop and is functioning perfectly, however when i try to connect to the internet on my laptop the program says 'Authorisation process has started' then afew seconds later it changes to 'authorisation process has not started' and an error shows that the encrytion key is missing.

Would i have to contact the ISP to get the encrytion key or can i find it somehow by looking into the connections settings on the desktop?

If the broadband is provided through a family member's employer you may have to obtain the company's permission to access the web via a connection they are paying for. Certainly companies would be concerned over what might downloaded over connections they are paying for.

And would the logical source for the key not be the said 'family member'?

Advertisement