Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide

Options
  • 15-10-2007 12:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Somebody threw themselves in front of the train tonight, apparently it was around the same area where that girl was found dead too.

We knew a few lads on the train and it was delayed for a good hour or so around 5 mins from Galway station.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Yeah I was on the train. We were stopped on the track opposite GMIT for over a hour. It was about a mile before that where it happened - it took us a while to stop. Everyone was pretty freaked out.

Man.That sucks balls!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

what train was it?
    was it the 3:15 from dublin or a different one?

i was on the 6:45 and experienced no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If someone is going to commit suicide, why a train? There are many other options that don't......

A: Freak out the driver, which will affect/be a memory for him/her to some degree for the rest of their life.

B: Delay a few hundred random people who did them no wrong.

I'm sympathetic towards anyone that commits suicide but why perplexed they would use this selfish method.

What have hapless train drivers/commuters done to deserve this sh1te.

It was an extra service that was originally due to leave Heuston at 1915, but eventually left at 1950. We were stopped on the track for a good 45 minutes before anyone told us what was going on. We were told we had to wait for the guards to come out before the train could move on, and that we all had to stay on the train until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

oh yeah - i remember that Extra Train.
    On Friday Iarnoid Eireann left pieces of paper on the tables on the train to announce that there would be an extra train leaving for galway at 7:15 and i noticed the departure board in Heuston had it at 7:50 in the end.
    strange how it was this train in the end that the person jumped in front of, considering it was not a regular train and was 35 minutes late in leaving.

condolences to the family for their trouble :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I find suicide pretty selfish anyway.

Yes I know people are not in their right minds etc,

but let alone doing wrong to the driver.

I'd feel guilty as hell if I'd been driving, despite it not being my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

strange how it was this train in the end that the person jumped in front of, considering it was not a regular train and was 35 minutes late in leaving.

Presumably spur of the moment so. Or a tragic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Apparently he was a 3rd year Industrial Engineering student in GMIT. Crap :(

Condolences to his family...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yeah I found out since be last post that he was a housemate of my best mates girlfriend. Frightening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lads,
    Can anyone tell me what time the train was stopped at?
    Sadly, this is a close friend of some of my younger siblings (I know him and his family well also) and last night was very traumatic for all involved.
    I have no further personal comment to make but would be grateful if someone could shed some light on the time.
    Kippy

Well, I texted my flatmate as the train pulled out of Athenry station, and that text was sent at 2237. I'm not sure what time after that we stopped, but considering where we were stopped (in sight of GMIT) I would estimate it was about 10 - 15 minutes later. That's the closest I can get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

senelra wrote: »
    Well, I texted my flatmate as the train pulled out of Athenry station, and that text was sent at 2237. I'm not sure what time after that we stopped, but considering where we were stopped (in sight of GMIT) I would estimate it was about 10 - 15 minutes later. That's the closest I can get.

This seems about right. We were supposed to be meeting a friend (who was on the train) at the Roisin Dubh at 11, so he was probably getting into Galway maybe 10-15 mins before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

So any more information on this guy who threw himself in front of the train. Was he local.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Read the newspapers.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement