Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 Top 100 Comedians

Options
  • 15-10-2007 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭

Watched a bit of this the other night. Just looked up the results.

Some fairly dodgy ones in the top 20. Peter Kay at 2, Harry Hill at 5? I don't dislike either but I wouldn't be mad about them and certainly wouldn't have thought anybody would think they'd be in the top 5 comedians in the world.

Jimmy Carr at 12, Al Murray at 18...

Had never really seen any of Jim Davidson's stand up before. What a horrible little man he is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I can think of many issues I have with the list, but Harry Hill being so highly rated is beyond me. Then again, if he got the votes...

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Most of what Harry has done in recent years has been dodgy but he was one of the best stand ups around during the mid-90's. Some people just don't like his humour but he would easily be in my top 10 stand ups of all time, possibly my top 5. His straight stand up was as good as any surreal stand-up I've ever seen and he would edge out Izzard for me in that genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Harry Hill isn't remotely funny, I really am perplexed how he has any sort of comedy career, but there you go, horses for courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Is this list as voted by other comedians?

Seems to be dominated
    by too many mediocre british comedians TBH.
    Jonny Vegas for example- what's that c0ck doing there.

Graham Norton. WTF?

Good to see Steven Wright, Sean Locke and Stewart Lee there though.

No Bill Bailey or Rich Hall :(

That top ten is fairly undeserving though.

Also re. Jimmy Carr not sure if he deserved 12th but i have to admit i do appreciate his borderline-offensive shtick and he has grown on me a lot.
    Some of his one-liners are very slick.

Peter Kay is a very different sort of comedian. Probably not deserving of no.2 slot but can be bloody funny with his observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Peter Kay is brilliant. Spot-on observations, and never resorts to the typical sex/race/swearing easy laughs.

I reckon Jerry Seinfeld should have been a lot higher than 52 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I like Billy Connolly a lot but Bill Hicks and Eddie Izzard are considerably better stand up comics imho.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

hotspur wrote: »
    Most of what Harry has done in recent years has been dodgy but he was one of the best stand ups around during the mid-90's. Some people just don't like his humour but he would easily be in my top 10 stand ups of all time, possibly my top 5. His straight stand up was as good as any surreal stand-up I've ever seen and he would edge out Izzard for me in that genre.

I just don't get him at all. I think he's one of the most annoying people on the planet. But people's tastes differ obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

tech77 wrote: »
    No Bill Bailey or Rich Hall :(

Bill Bailey's number 7 - I do like him :)

I am surprised at some of them though - there are a lot of 'aquired taste' comedians up high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I don't get the Harry Hill thing either, and although Jimmy Carr is a great performer a lot of his jokes are re-workings of old jokes or other peoples jokes that he bought the rights to, kinda cheating if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

hotspur wrote: »

Harry Hill was HILARIOUS back in the day really funny intelligent comedy, don't think he's doing much stand up these days (pitty:()

GOAL!!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ross Noble #10? He's funny but not all of his jokes are exactly... how you say... 'original'...

We have Johnny Vegas but no Rich Hall..

Channel 4 = FAIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its not Nobles jokes that clinch it (imo) its how he delivers .... I rate him high.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

mitch hedburg only at number 78?! now thats a joke in itself! mitch should be MUCH higher!!

mitch hedburg only at number 78?! now thats a joke in itself! mitch should be MUCH higher!!

How many random people voting for it in Britain do you think had ever seen him? The vote is a function of ability and exposure. That's why the late great Mitch was 78th but the likes of Peter Kay was 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Ricky Gervais is too high at number 11, I think he works great with Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington on the podcasts and his XFM shows but on his own in stand-up he isn't anywhere near as good. Harry Hill is damn awful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sparky08

Alan Carr & Jackie Mason too far down list in my opinion but that 'Diceman', if there was ever a more undeserving comedian to get a vote it's him! What a w*nker!
    I always thought i was above the likes of Roy Chubby Brown cos of his smut but I think they showed three jokes of his and i belly laughed at each one! His comedy defo overrides his dirt! Can't wait to see more!

sparky08 wrote: »
    I always thought i was above the likes of Roy Chubby Brown cos of his smut but I think they showed three jokes of his and i belly laughed at each one! His comedy defo overrides his dirt! Can't wait to see more!

It doesn't. Go see him next time he is here and you will feel not only disappointed but uncomfortable and dirty. Telling some stock gags that he didn't write doesn't mean he isn't a racist, misogynistic, homophobic piece of crap. He is right smack bang in the same category as Andrew Dice Clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Dave spikey @ 58 and peter kay @ 2?! they are the same comedian, they even use each other jokes!

bill hicks is high but not high enough, IMHO he is better than harry hill, peter kay and eddie izzard! (and i think richard pryor too but id say many many people would disagree with me there!)

Advertisement