Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power ParaGlider - Where can you buy them in Ireland?

Options
  • 15-10-2007 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious and have tried a few times when I had time over the past few days on looking them up. But I only get American places.

I just want to get the price of one, costs of running one. And what is needed to be allowed use one.

I saw a few in my area over the past week or two and I think I'd like one lol. Obviously I could not talk to them about it.

Exactly this is what I'm after;

ppg-flightjunkies-pilot-closeup-front-side-cropped.jpg

I found these but I'm more interested in Ireland and not other countries at all.

[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Is Powered Paragliding A Safe Sport?[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Powered Paragliding has a very good safety record amongst pilots that have been properly trained by a professional. A thorough understanding of meteorology, and the dynamics of flight makes a pilot much safer than an untrained pilot.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]How much is a Powered Paraglider?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]On average it will run about $7000.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]How long does it take to learn?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Industry experts recommend 7-10 days of training from a certified trainer.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]How high can I fly?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]As high as you want. Most of the time powered paragliders are flown between 500 to 2000 feet. The world record however is in excess of 18000 feet.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]What is the speed of the paraglider?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]23 to 25 miles per hour. By applying braking, the paraglider can be slowed to a fast walking pace for landing.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]How far do you have to run to get airborne?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Just a few steps will be necessary in a 10 knot breeze. However, in a calm wind condition, 10 to 20 steps may be necessary.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Can anybody do it?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]You must weigh over 100 pounds and be fairly strong to be able to carry the weight of the motor on your back. It is important to fly with the correct glider for your payload weight (your weight plus engine weight).[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Do I need a license?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Most countries regard Motorized Paragliders, powered paragliders, or Paramotors as Ultralight Aircraft, and are subject to the rules and regulations of ultralights. A license is not required in the USA.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]How long can I fly on a tank of gas?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Motor-ON flight time can easily exceed 1.5 hours based upon moderate throttle usage. Periods of extended full-throttle will burn fuel at a faster rate. If your motor is equipped with a starter you can shut your motor on and off as you please, gliding for hours on thermals.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]If the motor shut off unintentionally, would you fall out of the sky and come crashing to earth?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Absolutely NOT! The loss of power only limits your ability to fly level or climb. The glider will establish a slow descent rate at about a 7:1 glide ratio. That means you could fly approximately 7000 feet or more downwind while only losing 1000 feet of altitude.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Do I have to wear a helmet?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Ultralight aircraft with open cockpits require the pilot to have a helmet.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Am I too young to fly?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]A lot of that depends on your maturity level. Go here and take a look at a girl who flew a PPG trike at only 12 years old.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,sans-serif]How noisy are they?[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]The noise level, or music level if you're a PPG pilot, varies between different paramotors and props. On average they are comparable to a lawnmower. Being in the air, the sound tends to travel farther since there are no buildings or ground obstacles to muffle the sound.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[SOURCE]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

you would buy one through a school or club they are expensive,maybe 8k or more new. They come up for sale secondhand on buy and sell now and again.
    Try www.midlandparagliding.com they have a secondhand equipment page

Or maybe you could go this way www.flyni.co.uk/video.asp for the same price as a paraglider you get a machine (second hand) that will take you and a passenger long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I was expecting it to cost that much so it's no shock. Never thought about second hand ones, I'd imagine most are not faulty.

Thanks for posting all that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Oisin Creagh

For more information on paramotoring in Ireland:

Check out the website by pilots, for pilots and pilots to be:

www.paramotorireland.com

All you need should be there.
    Oisin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

"Do I need a license?

Most countries regard Motorized Paragliders, powered paragliders, or Paramotors as Ultralight Aircraft, and are subject to the rules and regulations of ultralights. A license is not required in the USA"

I'd say the first thing you should do is check with any local flight schools and see what the craic is over here re: legality and areas you can fly it.

Looks fun tho, good luck with it.

If you have a look at the website:

www.paramotorireland.com

It has a forum where all Paramotoring questions from Ireland can be answered. Sorry it was down for a couple of days, with a problem with the host server. It is still under construction but you should be able to get all the information you need there.

In Ireland you need to apply to the IAA Irish Aviation Authority, for an exemption ( from the need for a liscence).. sound a bit Irish?
    To get this, you will need training ( UK BMAA and BHPA courses only approved here at the moment) and when you come back, you produce the paperwork and a class2 medical, before the IAA will issue you a formal exemption.

Hope this helps.

Oisin:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Oisin i might be wrong on this as i don't paramotor myself but according to
    midlandparagliding website you don't need to go to the uk to train as they have the authority to train students to the required standard.

I believe they also currently apply the British standard BHPA rating ( they have their own version of this?)

The IAA recognise either UK syllabus at the moment, and while there are moves afoot to create a syllabus for Ireland ( more than one is being assesed by the IAA at the moment) there is no 'national syllabus' out there at the minute.

I have no specific knowledge of anyone who has been through and completed the paramotor courses with them, but I now fly with many who gave up trying and went overseas to finish the training? I understand they train to a syllabus where you must learn to paraglide before you take to the motor. I am not sure wheather or not this is a good or bad thing, but as I say, talk to pilots who are flying and ask them.

Most pilots I know travelled overseas to learn, and with generally more stable conditions overseas, there is a better chance of getting through the course in a reletively short time. We all felt it was a better option as deep immersion in the course was easier for most of us outside Ireland and away from family! On balance it was a lot cheaper to do this in Spain where we learnt , than to do so over weeks and months of weekends here in Ireland.

Th unfortunate thing for anyone trying to train here in Ireland is the weather. While there is plenty of reasonable weather to fly, it is very hard to book a training session for a date a month away in Ireland, and hope to have perfect beginners conditions on that day!! It can take a long time to get through the course... this is exactly what Midland Paragliding told me when I enquired from them last year! The other thing I was told was that people who learn overseas will not be prepared for the Irish flying conditions..? There are different conditions I accept this, but ask anyone who has learnt overseas if they found the conditions here more challenging??
    Probably more so in the case of paragliding, where you fly in the mountains looking for lift and searching out thermals??

Join the forum, and you may find other pilots local to you, who can advise you. Before signing up to any course, ask for the contact details of any of their students, who have trained with tem and are now flying. Feel free to come join us.

Good luck,

Oisin.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1973parahead

tap in I.P.P.H.A. THIS IS A GREAT SPORT BUT GET YOURSELF TRAINED PROPERLY.SPEAK TO Gerry Parles he 15 years flying and will put you straight.
    www.paramotoring.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

bickering aside ...

As an ex paraglider (non motorised) I'd advise you to think long and hard about this, before you spend lots of money for training and equipment.

Conditions for flying something as flimsy as a paraglider (with or without engine) in Ireland are a good bit removed from ideal.

Due to the low speed of a paraglider it can only be flown (opposed to be blown about uncontrolably) in low winds.

This isn't a problem, if you can drop everything and just go flying once the conditions are right ...you'll get enough flying time then.

If on the other hand you lead a normal life with work and social commitments and you need to plan ahead and take "time out" for your flying, you'll find yourself frustrated pretty quickly.

Whenever conditions are good, you've got something else on and when you have time, the weather doesn't allow for flying.

At least that's the case with me and I have finally given up on this beautiful sport, as I just wasn't getting enough time in the air and my skills were slowly deteriorating to the point where I was no longer a safe pilot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Keep the ranting for the thunderdome !

Flamewars, (especially with people throwing about names and addresses) won't be tolerated here...

• Advertisement
Advertisement