Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee's Ang Li routine

Options
  • 15-10-2007 5:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Anyone else familiar with this guy.
    Seen him a couple of times and i have to admit he is a very accomplished and sharp performer.
    His meandering anecdotes are priceless and he seems to be well able to adlib as well.

This Ang Li routine his fcuking priceless. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltT9dMGiFjI&mode=related&search=
    Anyone else here know of him.
    Seems to be very underrated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

He used to host a show on Sunday mornings (Lee and Herring, or something like that) and it was pretty terrible.

However, I did get linked to that Ang Li routine (and you should really spoiler that for anyone who hasn't seen it) earlier in the year and I spent the rest of the day watching his other YouTube clips in fits of laughter. His stuff is very good; sharp but understated.

And I don't know that he's so much underrated as he is unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Earthhorse wrote: »
    He used to host a show on Sunday mornings (Lee and Herring, or something like that) and it was pretty terrible.

However, I did get linked to that Ang Li routine (and you should really spoiler that for anyone who hasn't seen it) earlier in the year and I spent the rest of the day watching his other YouTube clips in fits of laughter. His stuff is very good; sharp but understated.

Yeah very sharp, cerebral comedian.
    His dissection of the nature of the comedy in its own right is refreshing as well.

But i think it's his very natural delivery and retelling of an essentially absurd situation that really had me laughing.

BTW re a spoiler: In the routine, that phrase "You wouldn't like me..." isn't the actual punchline as such, he uses it throughout the routine so i don't think i'm giving anything away am i :)
    I've edited it anyway.

I might post the link in the other thread as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I was actually going to post that clip in the other thread but hadn't gotten round to it! I figured it would be something a lot of people hadn't seen before.

There's another bit he does about Joe Pasqualie (sp.?) stealing a routine from an Irish comedian and it's absolutely hilarious. I must order his DVD actually. Hopefully he'll play Ireland someday.

(I know that wasn't the punchline per se but it was a part of the gag so thanks for editing it).

I was actually going to post that clip in the other thread but hadn't gotten round to it! I figured it would be something a lot of people hadn't seen before.

There's another bit he does about Joe Pasqualie (sp.?) stealing a routine from an Irish comedian and it's absolutely hilarious. I must order his DVD actually. Hopefully he'll play Ireland someday.

(I know that wasn't the punchline per se but it was a part of the gag so thanks for editing it).

Yeah I saw the Joe Pasquale bit alright.
    Same brilliant meandering style.

Merciless to Pasquale but no less than he deserved.

I also love when he states categorically that the Irish comedian's opening garden gag is THE funniest opener in ANY medium ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

When I was deciding what youtube vid to put up last night I was going to put Stew's routine from Montreal which included the great Pope lollipop routine. An excellent comic, glad he's back performing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He's regarded as the best comic on the comedy scene at the moment, by his peers....

zabbo wrote: »
    He's regarded as the best comic on the comedy scene at the moment, by his peers....

Ricky Gervais' favourite standup apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

I've seen him live. Very very good.
    His slow meandering pace builds tension as the subject matter is often controversial or offensive.
    The gags don't come thick and fast but once the punchline does arrive (the release of tension) is quality.

One of his dvd's was given a mainstream (Entitled 'Stand up comedian') release but due to poor sales he was dropped. Then he has teamed up with Go faster stripe to sell his next show 90's comedian(containing the Joe Pasqualie (sp.?) bit) online only. Also he is the creator of 'Jerry Springer the Opera. For those of you looking for complete shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Is anybody going to see him next month in the laughter lounge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Is anybody going to see him next month in the laughter lounge?

he's playin the laughter lounge?! :O i am there!

btw the irish comedian that stewart is stickin up for is michael redmond, aka father stone (the worlds most boring priest) from father ted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

hopefully i'll get to see him when he plays galway next month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Ah, here now - that show was priceless! There were just too many in-jokes so it was difficult to watch if you weren't a long-term fan.

Stewart Lee is in Dublin this month - watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

tech77 wrote: »
    Yeah very sharp, cerebral comedian.
    His dissection of the nature of the comedy in its own right is refreshing as well.
    But i think it's his very natural delivery and retelling of an essentially absurd situation that really had me laughing.

BTW re a spoiler: In the routine, that phrase "You wouldn't like me..." isn't the actual punchline as such, he uses it throughout the routine so i don't think i'm giving anything away am i :)
    I've edited it anyway.

I might post the link in the other thread as well.

i've heard of this routine, anyone know where to find it amongst teh interwebs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

m83 wrote: »
    i've heard of this routine, anyone know where to find it amongst teh interwebs?

Watched the DVD that this bit came from, it was enjoyable, but the bits on youtube are shoulders above the rest, still enjoyable.

The-Rigger wrote: »

Watched the DVD that this bit came from, it was enjoyable, but the bits on youtube are shoulders above the rest, still enjoyable.

thank you but no no no! I had some text highlighted in bold, he did some bit where he basically just talked abouth the nature of a joke with loops back and stuff... maybe it rings a bell with some one here.

Have to say though, his youtube stuff is fookin scarily good, i loved the braveheart routine.. in glasgow of all places.. genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

m83 wrote: »
    he did some bit where he basically just talked about the nature of a joke with loops back and stuff... maybe it rings a bell with some one here.!

its probably this rountine that himself and Richard Herring did on TMWRNJ.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2j9yBOXyPVc

Its a satire of a very lazy style of joke that I've heard Stewart Lee refer to as a "Pasqualie delivery", for instance the performer tells you a sordid tale of kissing young girls on the school yard, lets you assume he is recounting his teenage years, then reveals that he is in fact a Teacher at the school.

its probably this rountine that himself and Richard Herring did on TMWRNJ.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2j9yBOXyPVc

Its a satire of a very lazy style of joke that I've heard Stewart Lee refer to as a "Pasqualie delivery", for instance the performer tells you a sordid tale of kissing young girls on the school yard, lets you assume he is recounting his teenage years, then reveals that he is in fact a Teacher at the school.

Good stuff.
    The more i see of Stewart Lee the more i'm convinced he's a fcuking genius.
    His stuff is exquisite.
    Anyone know of any other comedian like him?

simon munnery is another headliner in the "alternate" comedy scene, himself and lee are good friends!

tech77 wrote: »
    Good stuff.
    The more i see of Stewart Lee the more i'm convinced he's a fcuking genius.
    His stuff is exquisite.
    Anyone know of any other comedian like him?

Ted Chippington is probably Stewarts biggest influence, Chippington was part of the first wave of Alternative comedians, they would tour with bands like The Fall and The Nightingales and do standup before the bands. His jokes all follow a similar format and all read out in a monotone voice. One of his better known jokes is “I was walking down the road, this guy with long hair stopped me, he said do you want to buy some LSD man, I said no, we’ve gone decimal now” he quit comedy for years and went back to driving lorries. Here is a video from the BBC culture show where Stewart Lee goes “in search of him” http://youtube.com/watch?v=IcXj_ZdKmcQ

Simon Munnery, Kevin Eldon, Richard Herring (who plays Dublin next month) and Daniel Kitson would all be akin to Stewart Lee in some ways (although very different in others)

Thanks.
    Just thought i'd post this one as well:
    "Carphone Warehouse deny racism" routine.

A simple gag but Christ it's still sublime.
    The 2 concepts involved are just so fcuking ridiculously alien and he milks the ridiculousness for everything its worth.

All done with that typically withering, take-no-sh1t, disgusted-at-everything attitude of his towards everything deserving of it (in this case CPW corporate silliness/a$$-covering).
    Genius.
    It's a crime how his no-bull$hit style isn't more popular.

Edit: Actually the simple phrase "values of the car-phone warehouse" uttered on its own is enough to have anyone in stitches and you can just feel him glorying in its absolute absurdity.

• Advertisement

he has also written a wonderful novel called the perfect fool, it follows a wide range of characters including a women who leaves a trail of dead boyfriends across America (after they find out her actions during a film she stared in) a man searching for the lit joint that he burnt down a flat with 30 years before, 2 lads who play with a degree of irony in a dire straits tribute band, a Hopi Indian clown who performs his ancient ceremony on a Jerry Springer style talk show, a man being chased by Masonic agents who thinks he may have been in outer space and a psychedelic singer/guitarist loosely based on Rocky Erikson. It’s all set against an accidental quest for the Holy Grail. I’m very happy because I have a signed copy (that was my one unashamed groupie moment).

Everyone should pile into the Laughter Lounge tomorrow night to see him.

think, without stewart lee, we wouldnt have jerry springer the opera!! :D

There's still tickets available for tonight's gig.

i bought my ticket earlier for his galway show, i was kinda worried that a day before the show is on i got ticket number 18.
    either way, i should have a great night

I'm going to the Galway one too, can't wait!!

Just back, some old, and some new material, all delivered excellently.

Thought it was hilarious :)

i was sick that i couldnt go....so dissapointed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

well great gig, i'm feelin old tho reading some of the previous posts. Stewart Lee has been around for the last twenty yrs - as he'd say himself. I've been watchin him for the last 10 or so - not stalking mind, but i know quality when i see it. see the vid links on his website if u r not familar with his older telly work, and if u r thinking he's great but only just heard of him then do a bit of homework, its not that hard! C i even wrote this in txt spk 4 u.

who supported him in dublin, and how long was he on for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

Advertisement