Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee's Ang Li routine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

skydancer wrote: »

no way.......ian coppinger and steward lee?! damnit dat sounds amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ok, don't get me wrong. But the support act sucked. (Yes he's not in the same lines as Mr. Lee yes yes we all know this!) but seriously! I've seen him a total of three times, once was in support of Neil Delamare, and he did the same shagging routine for each gig! I know the usual comedian trick to do this. But at least change the record.

I went to see Stewart last year (in Galway) when he was doing this show as a warm up for the Edinburgh Festival. And I spent most of it in stitches again last night. If you have that DVD he was speaking about fair play to you because it's genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

I really enjoyed. I had seen some of the material on youtube before and was worried this would affect my enjoyment of the set but it didn't at all. I loved the Tom O'Connor bit at the start, it was complimented well by two guys sitting in front of me who were clearly getting more and more agitiated as it went on.

Coppinger was really poor, I've never heard seen him before but he seems like the sort of comedian who is reliant on drunk audiences if that makes sense.

Anyway, anyone who can get to the gig in Galway tonight really should make the effort to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Warm-up wasn't too bad, considering he had a very different style to Stewart.

Did Stewart mess up the "I work for Shell/I'm in Oil' bit on purpose first time round, because I've seen him do it before.

He does a fair bit of comedian bashing, but it was all good.

zAbbo wrote:
    Warm-up wasn't too bad, considering he had a very different style to Stewart.

Did Stewart mess up the "I work for Shell/I'm in Oil' bit on purpose first time round, because I've seen him do it before.

He does a fair bit of comedian bashing, but it was all good.

That silence he encouraged during his routine was excruciatingly bad. Granted, I've only been to a handful of stand up gigs in my time but it gave me a poor impression of him.

The Esso/Shell bit is intentional, based on the clip I've seen of it before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

anyone else still have the word FAG still faintly written on their hand....

the guy opening was ok, he wasn't the style of comedian that should support Stew, the styles are too different (but fair play, he acknowledged that himself and did get a few chuckles). I was the unlucky “goth” at the front who went to the toilet during a peado joke (in retrospect a bad move)

Stewart was great, I had seen this show before its fringe run, and although it’s basically the same show, it’s been perfected quite a bit. I read that this will be the shows last run, he’ll probably make another dvd with the go faster stipe lads, then retire it. Be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

Is anyone going to Richard Herring next month? I’m still undecided…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Great show; I really don't know how to properly praise it without descending (ascending?) into hyperbole. The man is just out and out brilliant. I was careful not to watch any youtube clips beforehand so it was all new to me.
    anyone else still have the word FAG still faintly written on their hand...

/me raises hand ever so meekly

Is that a Laughter Lounge thing or a Stewart Lee thing, anyone know?

Earthhorse wrote: »

Is that a Laughter Lounge thing or a Stewart Lee thing, anyone know?

Laughter Lounge thing. I got confirmation from a few work mates this morning!

(Hehehehe the bit I'm remembering is the *clink clink.......clink clink clink* "Signed Richard Littlejohn.......*clink clink clink...... clink clink............ clink clink clink clink* "C*nt"................*clink clink clink clink* "not a person who works as a c*nt" HAHAHAHAHHA!)

Is anyone going to Richard Herring next month? I’m still undecided…

Haven't seen much of his stuff, but he's got a few OK reviews, so could be worth heading along.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Laughter Lounge thing. I got confirmation from a few work mates this morning!

Thanks. No wonder it's not a popular venue.

Forgot to say, five minutes before the show I headed to the loo but when I saw the queue I thought "Forget this", turned around, walked back and who's coming the other way? None other than Mr. Lee himself! He completed averted his gaze as we passed each other, perhaps because he saw I recognised him. Not like I was going to do anything anyway!

As for Herring, well, I never really liked their show but then I find Lee's stand up amazing. Read an article by Herring in the Sunday Times about turning forty (which is what his current show is about as well) and it wasn't very funny. I'll check him out on youtube anyway, see what he's like on stage.

• Advertisement

He did that at the Galway gig last yuhr (the way he pronounces "year"), he was standing outside just having a smoke chatting away to people. He likes to mingle. Got in to a good conversation with my mate about The Fall. And signed my copy of A Perfect Fool. Great guy.

Yeah, I'd imagine he's a pretty unassuming guy. Still, his neck was literally straining to turn his head away from me as we passed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

just in the door from his galway show, it was great. was there any hecklers at the dub show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

just back too, i'm f*cking humbled.. it was immense. that heckler was some gee bag but he dealt with it very well. what a top bloke you are mister lee.

No hecklers in Dublin, what sparked it?

there was an annoying twat heckling him during his tom o connor sketch. he handled it well and made bits of him, but my friend who had no stewart lee experience kept asking me did i think the heckler was planted. i didnt think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

That's weird.
    Who the fcuk would heckle Stewart Lee.
    First off, he's a comedian with a fairly discrete but devout following i would imagine.
    So i'd imagine anyone who'd attended the gig WANTED to be there.

Also his formidable wit- he's not exactly the kind of comedian that you'd think of heckling really unless you're looking to be insulted.

Was it some Christian fundamentalist type giving out about Jerry Springer the Opera or something. :rolleyes:

At the Galway gig to he mess up the opening of the Tom O'Connor bit?, did he do something like

"He asked the man what he does, and the man said - I work for Shell"

Just wondering?

He dropped the mic and went half way down the isle during the Dublin gig, and had a good rant, was that part of the Galway gig ?

Can't wait till he comes back here!

At the Dublin gig when the doorman took your ticket you were told that there was to be no talking during the performance. The announcer also re-iterated this warning so it may have put any potential hecklers off (but I'd like to think the crowd were all decent folk).

Does anyone know where I can get the DVD he was selling after the show? I'd left the venue by the time I'd realised they were selling it downstairs.

zAbbo wrote: »
    At the Galway gig to he mess up the opening of the Tom O'Connor bit?, did he do something like

"He asked the man what he does, and the man said - I work for Shell"

Just wondering?

As I mentioned up thread, that is part of the joke. It's supposed to be his mother making the mistake.

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can get the DVD he was selling after the show?

http://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?page=videofull&id=6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

meh I was at the Dublin gig and he was only ok.
    To put it in perspective - I'd never seen him before and got the ticket from a mate (someone pulled out). In our group there was 6.
    Two of the lads taught he was sh1t.
    Personally I felt that was a bit harsh, I taught he was alright, but wasn't the best gig I've been to and dunno if I'd bother going again. Enjoyed myself though (6/10)
    My GF reckoned pretty much the same.
    My mate who got the ticket and his GF loved it though. Really taught it was class.

I guess he has his following. oh and the support was really cap - but I guess he needed interaction, and he wasn't getting it from the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Was at the dublin gig. My face was in pain from laughing at the end. Twas amazing.

Zulu wrote: »
    oh and the support was really cap ...

do u mean crap? ian coppinger is an amazin comedian!

do u mean crap? ian coppinger is an amazin comedian!
    Yea, I meant crap. And thats being nice.
    Were you at the dublin gig?

Yea, I meant crap. And thats being nice.
    Were you at the dublin gig?

no i couldnt make it unfortunatley, altho ive seen coppinger twice before and think he's great!

Yea it just didn't work out. He was looking for audence interaction, but was unfortunatly getting none. :(

Yea it just didn't work out. He was looking for audence interaction, but was unfortunatly getting none. :(

argh thats unfortunate, becaue whe nhe on on form he is brilliant!

did coppinger finish the dublin show with a joke about a drunk coming in several entrances of the same pub and being thrown out each time by the same guy?

isn't that an ancient brendan grace joke?

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    did coppinger finish the dublin show with a joke about a drunk coming in several entrances of the same pub and being thrown out each time by the same guy?

isn't that an ancient brendan grace joke?

Yes, he did. Don't know if it's an old Brendan Grace joke or not.

He started his routine (well the bit after audience interaction) with a joke about one in four people being Chinese, which is an old Tommy Cooper joke.

Advertisement