Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #10 - Opeth - Blackwater Park

• 15-10-2007 7:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome album.

This was my intruduction to Opeth, and it really was something I hadn't heard the likes of before, combining Death Metal with 70's Prog Rock was a masterstroke. I'd also contribute Opeth for my interest in the Prog of the 70's and without them, I probably wouldn't have listened to some excellent bands like Camel, King Crimson or Comus.

Just a staggering good album, and easily one of the best of the new millennium.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Deadly album. I had My Arms, Your Hearse before this and loved it but Blackwater Park was the icing on the cake. I heard "The Drapery Falls" on a Kerrang CD and was shocked at how great it was. It turned out to be an edit (only half the song so before it stopped before the heavy part) and when I finally got the album it blew me away. I remember seeing them in the Shelter and after they played "The Drapery Falls" crying: "Play it again" and getting a laugh out of Mikael. Anyway, deadly album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

It finally got voted in. :D
    I think this is probably one of the only flawless albums i own, there isn't a single dud track or boring moment. When i first heard The Drapery Falls it absolutely blew me away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Bleak was the first song I heard by them. I downloaded it after hearing people on here talking. It comletely blew me away! The next weekend I got Ghost Reveries. It had just come out I think and I didnt know any of there other ones. But the next was Blackwater Park and WOW! It is an incredible album alright. Glad to see its won this week! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

The drapery falls is immense, album as a whole is just class. I think still life and bw park are easily their 2 best albums. But i just havent been in the mood for them in probably about 2 years now so dont really listen to em anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Fantastic album. Bleak is the stand out track for me, especially the distortion bit at the end of the track. The Drapery Falls is just out on its own.
    Not my favourite Opeth album though, that is reserved for Morningrise, I just never get bored with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I must be weird, I love the album but Harvest is my favourite song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Why would that be weird it it is amazing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

i have to admit it i bought this album based on the amount it was spoke about on these boards (and a little listen or two online) and man what a brilliant purchase. Absolutely brilliant masterful music.so enjoyable to listen to a band that can play such quality music. great album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Flawless. My favourite Opeth album and one of the first extreme music albums I ever got. One particular highlight for me: The bit at the end of Bleak where he belts out the high note on clean vocals and the death vocals come in under it... blows me every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i just got it, so far so good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jigsaw07

just got that today too.... good god what an album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Y'know, I haven't actually posted on this thread for several days because I was trying to think of something appropriate to say, but I just haven't been able to, the album is just beyond words. Good work, Opeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

An absolutley amazing album, a friend tried to get me into them with Bleak.
    Loved the music but it took a little while before I got used to the growls, I was then played The Drapery Falls and I was sold on the first listen.

They also got me interested in 70's prog music like Camel, Yes, PFM, Genesis, etc, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Opeth are one of those bands I keep hearing about but never got the chance to get any of their albums. Seeing as it's album of the week I'm going to get it and see if they live up to the hype :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pedrospuds

the diversity in the album is great , just look at "patterns in the ivy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

This is the only Opeth album I have and it's just...........brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye, a very diverse album, as mentioned above, the range of structure and style is terrific. though is it as brilliant as say Deliverance which gets very little mention? hhmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's much better than Deliverance in my opinion (although my heart will always belong to My Arms, Your Hearse as it was the first album of theirs I owned).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Passenger wrote: »
    Aye, a very diverse album, as mentioned above, the range of structure and style is terrific. though is it as brilliant as say Deliverance which gets very little mention? hhmmm

yes, imo. i got into opeth in the last year or two and deliverance was the third of the albums i had bought, and was my outright favourite of the three i had (orchid & ghost reveries). as soon as i picked up blackwater park that changed. it's more diverse, and as such has more range and power in each song... which feel more crafted then deliverance (not to say deliverance isn't crafted by any means)... remains my favourite opeth album today.

this was my first suggestion for album of the week. good to see it took its rightful place here :D

Advertisement