Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting an IP address to connect to xbox live

• 15-10-2007 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Im trying to connect to xbox live through 3G mobile broadband via my laptop but it wont get an IP address. I've set it to automatic and shared my connection on my laptop but it just wont work. How do I give it an IP address manually?? Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

How are you connecting the laptop with the Xbox? You'll have to connect the laptop to the Xbox using a crossover cable...

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Yeah I have the crossover cable connected but it still doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Is this the 3G mobile broadband from Vodafone or O2??.

Your first problem being that this is a modem with a Sim card
    in it and it wouldn't have DHCP running to assign an IP address.

You will need an external router, connect your PC along with your
    Xbox to it, you will then need to share your internet connection
    on your laptop and then make your laptop the default gateway for
    your Xbox.

An awful lot of hassle, and then the chances are that your 3G wont
    even let you get a game in on Xbox Live.....Not a great connection to
    be gaming with!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, trying to share a computer's internet connection with a 360 can be a bit of pain to set up tbh. I tried doing it with my imac and encountered a lot of problems with NAT. I eventually gave up a got a wireless adapter.

Feelgood wrote: »
    Is this the 3G mobile broadband from Vodafone or O2??.

Your first problem being that this is a modem with a Sim card
    in it and it wouldn't have DHCP running to assign an IP address.

You will need an external router, connect your PC along with your
    Xbox to it, you will then need to share your internet connection
    on your laptop and then make your laptop the default gateway for
    your Xbox.

An awful lot of hassle, and then the chances are that your 3G wont
    even let you get a game in on Xbox Live.....Not a great connection to
    be gaming with!!

It's 3G. Well it's actually just temporary because I'm trying to connect to a college network but I only have one ethernet port on my laptop. What would I need to get an another ethernet port??

• Advertisement

Basically you need to get a router of some description....though it wouldn't be worth the investment as chances you get serious lag on Xbox Live using 3G wireless....

a) You might not get a connection to any games (Ghost Recon, Gears of War etc etc require excellent bandwidth. 1Mb +

b) Even if you do get a connection the game will be virtually unplayable because of the lag you will get.

Basically even if you sort out your Xbox Live connection using a router and your laptop, the connection isn't gonna be worth the hassle. I wouldn't bother even trying...

Feelgood wrote: »
    Basically even if you sort out your Xbox Live connection using a router and your laptop, the connection isn't gonna be worth the hassle. I wouldn't bother even trying...
    Yeah tbh I don't think it's worth the bother either. How would I get another ethernet port for my laptop??

The question is though, why would you want one when you already have one??.

I would just buy a 4 port switch or router if your looking to expand you network?.

If you outline what your trying to achieve I can offer a better solution...:)

Ok I want to connect my Xbox to my Laptop, which is connected to th college network to get onto Xbox Live because I cannot connect directly to it. But I heard if I share the connection on my laptop that should work. BUT my laptop only has one ethernat port. Is there a thing I could buy to give me two ethernet ports??

Thats a different ball game altogether...

Chances are your college network is firewalled, meaning that
    all ports should be tied down and I'm 110% sure that the Xbox
    Live port is one of them...It aint gonna happen dude....

Sorry if the use of networking terms are confusing you!..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

EDIT: Then again Feelgood is probably right that the ports are closed. Anyone else you know use Xbox Live on the college network?

Well you could buy a basic switch or router.

The cable from the wall goes into the input of the router/router. Then you can connect both the laptop and the xbox to the outputs of the switch/router.

A nice switch can be found here for €18.50 excl. delivery:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341143&view=detailed

The wireless router I use in my house to connect a PC, 2 laptops, a 360, Wii and sometimes a PSP is here:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306987

For your needs the switch should do

Advertisement