Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland -v- Cyprus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

MooseJam wrote: »
    I think your all being too hard on Stan, he got a draw with Germany last week, a major world power, thats good stuff in my book, let the man see his 4 year plan out

nice try John ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

I think your all being too hard on Stan, he got a draw with Germany last week, a major world power, thats good stuff in my book, let the man see his 4 year plan out

Hehe nice!
    Here fishy fishy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You didn't even know the score in the Germany game 12 hours ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalks Late Night Live txt poll

Stan out 96%.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

mike65 wrote: »
    Newstalks Late Night Live txt poll

Stan out 96%.

Mike.

The 4% need to have their heads checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The 4% need to have their heads checked.

Delaney is spending tonights gate receipts on texting in and is still 92% behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The 4% need to get back to the FAI headquarters to sort out Staunton's compensation package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    You didn't even know the score in the Germany game 12 hours ago...

yea i know lol, I'm not a big soccer head, but he did get a draw so fair play it's not all bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

yea i know lol, I'm not a big soccer head, but he did get a draw so fair play it's not all bad

CYPRUS ffs.
    5-2
    1-1

Enough said.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

come on lads, If we did a wiparound for him, would he leave??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Out Out Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Let's not go crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ugh.

Awful.

Just Awful.

Just...Awful...

No point in even going into opinions on players etc..everything was just awful. except Finnan. Ill forgive him for his goal due to his complete lack of any form of celebration whatsoever.

Robbie Keane. Whats happened like? He looked like he'd been shot full of horse tranquiliser or something.
    KdjaCL, was it you? Safeguarding your bets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

95% now saying Staunton should go. Delaney's furiously texting away alright.

Anyone check out the RTE article on the defeat tonight? I thought the image used for it was pretty funny as well as apt...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1017/repofirelandcyprus.html

95% now saying Staunton should go.

5% margin of error hopefully?

That is a beautiful picture alright:

000107b610dr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Maxi was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You should be banned for trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

My view is this. Stan's replacement has to be a brave man, someone in the mould of Big Jack who will be able to handle the pressure.

First decision for the new boss should be to strip Robbie Keane of the ball and chain (read captain's armband) and give it to someone deserving of such an honour.

We need someone with a proven track record in getting results with very limited resources. Feck sake, in the past year both Scotland and Norn Iron have surpasses us in the footballing world. Goes to show where good team spirit will take you. We currently have no spine, no tenacity and no desire and man it hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Delaney is spending tonights gate receipts on texting in and is still 92% behind.

ROFL :D ;D

Well after our own tragic result and watching the Scots (who since we were all but out of 08 in Prague have become my team) beaten by a combination of bad reffing and some plonker running onto the pitch during what looked like it was about to develop into a good goal chance, at least something has made me smile :(;)

Absoloutely brutal. The first 12 odd mins Ireland were on fire, proper attacking. The rest......whatever. If i was Keane Id admit what the management wont face up to- Im not in form for Ireland. I havent been for the past few years. I am going to refuse myself out of international selections until I personally feel I am ready to come back. The only good point out of this is that Finnan, who has been good throughout the campaign, got himself on the scoresheet after all this time.

Just one question for DesF (not offensively, just wondering :) ) As i said in a previous thread Id read (in The Star or one of the redtops, think it was Star) that the FAI had set Stan a two point minimum target for the E European trip in order to keep the job. Where did you see that, regardless of the points or seedings, he was being kept for WC 2010?

As said no offense, its just that after Cyprus went one up and the lads were pretty much saying "I hope they stay up, it`ll get Stan out" I said that he wasnt thrown out for falling a point short of the 2 minimum in the old CzechSlovakia, and that id read online that no matter what Stan was staying, and that even a draw matters for the seedings, that a loss will be bad for the seedings and meaningless in terms of Stan trying for the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

David O Leary maybe???

Was at the match tonight but I was wondering why that Cyprus lad got sent off? What were they protesting about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the commentator said he got sent off for stopping someone from getting the ball back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

How much is Delaney on a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

at least i brought a camera to the game , gave me something interesting to do !

anyway this sums up what i think of Irish football

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/1604924049/

Dead Stan Walking

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/1606052770/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wasn't bothered when Cyprus scored, wasn't bothered when Ireland scored. I'm going to Wales and I think it'll just be a match for protest.

It's incredible the lengths Delaney goes to so the media don't get proof of how much the fans want him gone. He has people reading internet forums. He has people at matches on the lookout for banners. He lies to the press saying the Ireland fans were chanting Stans name. The man is deranged. Giving away free tickets on away trips won't change that.

This lasted a couple of minutes apparantly before stewards confiscated it on instructions from the FAI head of security:
    http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1761/delaneyout2sz1.jpg

I've been watching Prison Break the last few weeks, he just really reminds me of the American President in that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

eirebhoy wrote: »
    This lasted a couple of minutes apparantly before stewards confiscated it on instructions from the FAI head of security:
    http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1761/delaneyout2sz1.jpg
    You have to be registered to see it. By any chance was it the lads with the banner saying something about how ticket prices had taken a hike so it was time for Delaney to take a hike? Could see them at half-time from where I was sitting, they got a good few cheers.

Btw, Delaney's Wiki page has been vandalised too:
    Mr Delaney was one of the three men responsible for appointing the retarded monkey that isSteve Staunton as a replacement to Brian Kerr as manager of the Irish National Football team. Along with Staunton, he hired Bobby Robson as Staunton's International consultant as part of what Mr Delaney called a "world class management team". He is widely considered the worst Chief Executive of Irish History

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stargal wrote: »
    You have to be registered to see it.
    That's strange. Maybe Delaney's on to it already. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

eirebhoy wrote: »
    That's strange. Maybe Delaney's on to it already. ;)
    Maybe not - I just tried it again and it worked this time! Spooky....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Worked for me first time a while back

Oh, and yeah

CHRIST!!! WOMEN POST HERE!!! :D

I know the question had been raised previously, id yet to spot one though :D tbh i was surprised there wasnt at least a small participation.

Wasnt actually aware that the FAI was cracking down on stadium dissent. Can you get a ban for it? RTE seems by its report to be of the opinion it may cost Stan the job, but as said DesF said it was confirmed somewhere the points/seedings were irregardless and that it was 4 years full stop,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Personally I'd boycott all their matches. hit the FAI in their pockets, and let them know that they can't treat the fans like a bunch of saps. Block book tickets, €70 a pop. Promise of a world class manager! It breaks my heart to watch this team play! There is decent quality in the squad, nothing special, but good enough. We just need a man competant and experienced enough to get the best out of them. Boycott the FAI!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

1huge1 wrote: »
    While Stan should take most of the blame, Robbie Keane was terrible, which he has been for the last few games now

I wouldnt just single Keane out. Doyle was woeful except for 1 cross. Hunt didnt show much intrest. I actually forgot O'Shea was playing. McShane was slaughtered by there number 18. In fact no one on the team was any use.

Another real point about Saturday. The Germans were missing Ballack & Klose and Schwistger(sp) went off injured. Thats there 3 best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

DaveH wrote: »

Another real point about Saturday. The Germans were missing Ballack & Klose and Schwistger(sp) went off injured. Thats there 3 best players.

aswell as that, you could tell they only needed a point to qualify on saturday. they got what they came for without needing to work too hard. so when everyone was praising the irish performance on saturday they wern't thinking about the german mentality going into the game.... they could afford to come away with nothing

theres so much wrong with our setup at the moment i'm at a loss. players being played out of position, no team morale/confidence, fans booing, empty seats for a qualifier (cant remember the last time this happened) etc...

fact is that if delaney decides stan is to stay we've got a long two years ahead of us that in reality none of us can do anything about :(

depressin stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I gave up hope a long time again. It's a sad day when you expect absolutely nothing from your team. Who honestly thought we'd beat Cyprus? Cyprus FFS! We pi**ed all over them in qualifiers a few years back but we've gone backwards while they have improved vastly.

Robbie Keane has to go, or be stripped of the captaincy at the very least. So what if he's our record goalscorer? His general play is sh1te. Admittedly he's not the only crap player we have but he's meant to be our talisman and he's a joke.

Against Wales we should have all the young players out, with the exception of Given and Dunne (captain).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Dismal.

I feel for Cyprus, they should have had all 3. I'm glad I was at the game and not at home listening to the spanners on rte, that would have sent me over the edge altogether.
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    Him and Given will possibly retire at the end of this, jebus we are more ****ed than we realise.

kdjac

I was actually going to mention that I felt it would be Finnans last period at International level. How must he feel, sidelined for Stephen Carr and then played with that shower to that reception. Don't think Given will go yet though.

tdv wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Eamon? he has very limited experience aswell but a little bit more than Stan. So I think he qualifys.

Sure stick him in so. Okily dokily for Chief Exec too.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was at the game. €100 for two Hill tickets... :rolleyes:

First of all, I wasn't really bothered from the kick off so my views may be leaning to one side, but never have I wanted another team to beat Ireland so much as I wanted Cyprus to beat us in the second half. Why? Because they were the only team that showed any heart or determination out on that pitch last night.

Irish players weren't bothered, maybe one or two but as a team they really weren't bothered in honesty. The Cypriots battled for everything and chased down everything, the Irish lads, well they more or less stood with their hands on their hips. Never have I seen an Irish team that looked so disinterested, in any code! There is no doubt in my mind who that is down to, the manager. He has to go, and so do the people who appointed him.

We the fans are the ones dishing out hundreds and in some cases thousands to go to see our country play, not that muppet Delaney. Either they go or I would urge anyone with a bit of sense to boycott the games. It is we, the fans that are suffering not those ****ers in suits.

I am going to send my ticket back to the FAI back in the hope of a refund for that shambolic performance from our WORLD CLASS MANAGEMENT TEAM last night. As you can imagine, I won't hold my breath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Dismal.

I feel for Cyprus, they should have had all 3. I'm glad I was at the game and not at home listening to the spanners on rte, that would have sent me over the edge altogether

tbh the RTE lads spoke a lot of truth,the interview with stauton was a bit painful to watch,you knew and stauton knew he is way out of his depth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Firstly, I wish I could boycott the games but I dont travel to matches so that is not my option. I didn't watch Ireland on Saturday as the rugby world cup semi-final was on and that was always going to be more entertaining. Last night I decided to watch against my better judgement. Now lets call a spade a f**king spade, that man wouldn't manage the team in the Meteor ad with Liam Brady!! He is tactiallly stupid to say the least. Coming back to the Germany game and everyone saying we played well - I say f**k that. This attitude of "but we played well" is not good enough - the people of Ireland demand more and want more. With the current structure we will not qualify for 2010 - not a hope!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

county wrote: »
    tbh the RTE lads spoke a lot of truth,the interview with stauton was a bit painful to watch,you knew and stauton knew he is way out of his depth

I know, but the commentary and analysis would have been too much is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I heard Tony O'Donaghue this morning on RTÉ.
    He said he was talking to Delaney last nite and the Fuker actually tried to distance himself from Stan's appointment!
    WTF?!!??!
    Wasn't he the guy who promised a World Class Manager?

What a coward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Ireland were an absolute disgrace. I've been saying it for a while now but Keane should be stripped of the captains armband. He is not good enough. He cant concentrate on getting the team playing and score goals so let him attempt to score for Ireland again. He has scored a pathetic 3 goals in this campaign all in the home game against san marino. My 4 yr old son could have done that ffs.

Then we have "the Gaffer"! As Brady said afterwards the team changes needed from saturdays team to last night were so simple and the fact that he couldnt do that shows he isnt up to the job. I do feel sorry for Stan in a way. He was an outstanding servant for ireland as a player and Delaney has turned him into to a laughing stock. Staunton unfortunately your time is up. Or is it?

Did anyone else see his interview with Sky. They asked him the questions that RTE wouldnt dare to. He said that he knows what he is doing and he will keep working away. He was then asked if he has the FAI's backing to which he said yeah and was then asked "So the FAI have told you before these 2 games that no matter what your job is safe"? and he said YES:eek::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I think the Newstalk boys summed it up well last night by saying that Staunton when he announces his team gives the impression he knows what he is doing and that his selection although strange but its like he has come up with a secret formula for his team that will work once it gets on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Staunton out I agree with most people in the consensus that he is way out of his depth and that Delaney should also go for appointing him
    And replace Stan with a reputable international manager (if the FAI go for an Irishman it will be Dave O'Leary and that will be just as bad IMO)
    There are plenty of good caliber international managers out there, especially coaching and doing a great job with some African nations (Mali, Ivory Coast etc..) and one of these guys would make a good fist of the Ireland job, this must be done soon before it's too late

Take the captaincy off Robbie Keane and give it to Richard Dunne, Robbies play has declined since he received the captaincy while richard dunne improves everytime I see him, he is also a centre half which helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I love the FAI websire story from last nights match !!!
    The headline.............

"Republic of Ireland come back from the brink to grab a draw against Cyrpus "

As if thats a thing to boast about !

Oh and the first 2 lines of the report "The Republic of Ireland had to dig deep to salvage a result after trailing to a late Cyprus goal and Steven Finnan supplied an equaliser in stoppage time to earn a point."

"a result"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I love the FAI websire story from last nights match !!!
    The headline.............

"Republic of Ireland come back from the brink to grab a draw against Cyrpus "

As if thats a thing to boast about !

Oh and the first 2 lines of the report "The Republic of Ireland had to dig deep to salvage a result after trailing to a late Cyprus goal and Steven Finnan supplied an equaliser in stoppage time to earn a point."

"a result"

Thats appalling really. But would we expect anything less from that shower of incompetent ****es

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Staunton

i can't stop laughing at it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think all the criticism of Keane is unwarrented. I don't see any reason to single him out over the others. When Ireland play, you can always tell he is trying to get things going but other people just don't understand him enough. When Duff is on the pitch, you see the best of Keane, because as players they understand each other.

Maybe he shouldn't be captain, but to be honest, the only other person to consider is the honey monster, or maybe Finnan :) Finnan as captain to keep him on for the next campaign? I wouldn't say no :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ha!

Thanks for the nomination lads. :D

Er, but...
    shane86 wrote: »
    Just one question for DesF (not offensively, just wondering :) ) As i said in a previous thread Id read (in The Star or one of the redtops, think it was Star) that the FAI had set Stan a two point minimum target for the E European trip in order to keep the job. Where did you see that, regardless of the points or seedings, he was being kept for WC 2010?
    shane86 wrote: »
    but as said DesF said it was confirmed somewhere the points/seedings were irregardless and that it was 4 years full stop,

wtf :confused:

One thing.

I'm glad Billo and the boyos finally, finally, finally pointed the finger at Delaney last night.

Maybe now the rest of the country will open it's eyes.

National teams are supposed to represent the pinnacle of the country's footballing talent.

Ireland's national team represesents the dregs of the Premierleague, and the lower tiers of English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    Finnan as captain to keep him on for the next campaign? I wouldn't say no :)

he is the best right back around after all ;)

Finnan is 31, tbh, i'd be suprised if he stayed after this campaign. Dunne or Given would be the way to go with the captaincy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You'd wonder why any of them would want to stay on after the reception they got last night. Wouldn't blame them if they all packed it in after this campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pigman II wrote: »
    You'd wonder why any of them would want to stay on after the reception they got last night. Wouldn't blame them if they all packed it in after this campaign.
    What?

Players who don't perform have to expect stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Finnan retires it'll be a sad day, but if Given retires, we are absolutely utterly ****ed

• Advertisement
Advertisement