Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating 19 Rads with Oil & Stove

Options
  • 15-10-2007 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Our house has 19 radiators in total. We have 2 heating systems - an oil boiler and a solid fuel stove. The stove (sits in a fireplace - not a cooker) is the main heating system and according to the spec, will heat upto 19 rads. The oil is simply for a backup and I have a gizmo attached, that I can send a text to, to switch on if we are away from the house - handy for bringing the kids home to a warm house.

My question is - the builder has set the heating system up that the solid fuel only heats the living (non-bedroom) part of the house and the oil heats the bedrooms. He maintains that this is the only way to do it, that the boiler & stove will NOT do both. I remember from my parents house that rads were heated from either the oil boiler or the fireplace back-boiler.

Is the builder right? Is it possible to heat all the rads using either system?

Regards,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

most of the jobs i work on the stove seems to do the dhw only

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks Dave.

But what is DHW?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Dummy wrote: »
    Thanks Dave.

But what is DHW?

D

Domestic hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It needs to be done by someone who really knows what they are doing, but each one can be set up to heat all the house. The stove will need to get up "a good head of steam" to heat all 19 rads :D
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

according to the spec, will heat upto 19 rads.

We had a similar issue installing a stove, the client said the stove would heat 12 rads but not his 12 rads he had, as they were all quite large. Whats (watts) more important is the heat output of the stove, the oil boiler and the heat requirement for the house.

19 assorted rads may need say 24kw another 19 rads could need 54kw. If your stove has an output of 40kw and your rads need 54kw you will have a shortfall so the oil boiler could be used to make up the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Dummy wrote: »
    I remember from my parents house that rads were heated from either the oil boiler or the fireplace back-boiler.

Is the builder right? Is it possible to heat all the rads using either system?

That was in the good old days before health and safety. Can you remember running the hot taps to release excess boiling hot water, can you remember getting scalded by touching the rads.

Look at Dunsley Neutralizer and SystemLink.ie SystemZone to see what all the fuss is about. These mixed solutions need professional installation by experienced people and any solution you see with the two just connnected to the same flow and return using a open vented tank and one radiator open fully in an upstairs bathroom are pretty dangerous and brutal for efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you all for the feedback.

OK, I'll leave well enough alone and accept what I have.

I do get lost at times when builders / plumbers et al blind me with their science and try to explain something to me I have absolutely no knowledge of at all.

Many thanks again.

D

Advertisement