Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of spraying a car

Options
  • 15-10-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

I scraped my car on both sides yesterday (dont ask) and need to get it re-sprayed. Its a Renault Megane and was wondering what's the best way of doing this ie should i take it to a garage and how much would it cost - any recommendations on which garage?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Don't take it to the main dealer, try to find a good independant - will probably work out a lot cheaper.

Which part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

R.O.R wrote: »
    Don't take it to the main dealer, try to find a good independant - will probably work out a lot cheaper.

Which part of the country are you in?

In Dublin, what i would expect to be paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Warper wrote: »
    In Dublin, what i would expect to be paying?

how much of it needs respraying?

is it just the doors or doors and panels or are you looking for a full respray?

also what colour is it?

draffodx wrote: »
    how much of it needs respraying?

is it just the doors or doors and panels or are you looking for a full respray?

also what colour is it?

Its just the doors and panels - it is Navy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

:eek: both sides??

If you've done both doors on both sides, that's 4 panels @APPROX <€250 PER PANEL (this is usually how they price) for a very professional job. If you've also done the wings and quarter panels, include these too at the same rate. If you've done all doors, wings and quarter panels on both sides, it's probably going to be round €1,500, But only for paint. If there are new panels needed, this will add at least €200 per panel.

You can ask yourself if one side is worse than the other- Maybe you could get away with a good compound and polish.

How old is the car- if it's an old car, you could probably use used panels and a budget painter but it won't save THAT much money?

Pics will help

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    :eek: both sides??

If you've done both doors on both sides, that's 4 panels @APPROX <€250 PER PANEL (this is usually how they price) for a very professional job. If you've also done the wings and quarter panels, include these too at the same rate. If you've done all doors, wings and quarter panels on both sides, it's probably going to be round €1,500, But only for paint. If there are new panels needed, this will add at least €200 per panel.

You can ask yourself if one side is worse than the other- Maybe you could get away with a good compound and polish.

How old is the car- if it's an old car, you could probably use used panels and a budget painter but it won't save THAT much money?

Pics will help

Its a 1997 - just bought it last week for €2100 so im not gonna spend anywhere near a grand for it. 1 side should be ok but the other side is bad enough. As its so old there probably isnt any point in spending too much on it. There is markers you can get that colours in any scrapes - i think. Anyone know where to get these. Disastrous start to my new car.

Warper wrote: »
    Its a 1997 - just bought it last week for €2100 so im not gonna spend anywhere near a grand for it. 1 side should be ok but the other side is bad enough. As its so old there probably isnt any point in spending too much on it. There is markers you can get that colours in any scrapes - i think. Anyone know where to get these. Disastrous start to my new car.

I'd do some mixed farming then. pick the worst side and be prepared to paint and repair the worst one or two panels. Compound and polish the rest if the aren't flattened or warped(!). PLEASE don't use the markers, they will only make it look worse.

They should have paint left over do do SOME touching up but it will be no more than a bodge. If you have scrapes on your car it looks like you might get them fixed properly, but if you touch up very bad scratches, it makes you look like a cheapskate!

Go to a budget panel beater- It's an old car so it doesn't need a tip top job.

Shouldn't cost more than a few hundred to do it this way and will be a good result after mangling your motor!!

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'd do some mixed farming then. pick the worst side and be prepared to paint and repair the worst one or two panels. Compound and polish the rest if the aren't flattened or warped(!). PLEASE don't use the markers, they will only make it look worse.

They should have paint left over do do SOME touching up but it will be no more than a bodge. If you have scrapes on your car it looks like you might get them fixed properly, but if you touch up very bad scratches, it makes you look like a cheapskate!

Go to a budget panel beater- It's an old car so it doesn't need a tip top job.

Shouldn't cost more than a few hundred to do it this way and will be a good result after mangling your motor!!

Thanks for the help - any ideas of a budget panel beater - will i get one from the Golden Pages or just go to some off the way small garage?

Ask around. Ask here. Ask family, friends and colleagues.

I'm from the deep south so I wouldn't know anywhere in the big smoke but go by reccomendation. There's a million panel beaters out there so just be careful you don't end up with one of the low quality, high cost brigade.

Advertisement