Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three-speed fixed gear

Options
  • 15-10-2007 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi

Given the interest on this forum on all things to do with fixed gear bikes, conversions and parts, it might interest some of you to know that Sturmey archer, the maker of three-speed hub gears that you find on your granny's sit-up and beg bike, is planning to manufacture a fixed gear hub that has three speeds on it.

I'd imagine this would appeal to a lot of people considering fixed gear but have hills to contend with on their regular routes.

It actually used to make one called the ASC, years ago, and these parts now fetch a fortune, such as this item on ebay

I sent an email to Sturmey Archer, who confirmed that they were engineering a new one and recently sent me this email looking for customer feedback:

Hello Everyone,

I would first like to thank everyone for their interest in our upcoming remake of the ASC. As we grow closer to production I will be posing questions on our blog www.sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com regarding what you would like to see in the final production model.

The first question is regarding the acceptable amount of backlash in the hub. Meaning the amount of slack there is before engagement. The original was quite sloppy in this regard but we are interested in your opinion. The question is up now in the form of a poll and if you have a minute and could head over to the blog and add your 2 cents I would greatly appreciate it!

David Prosser
    Sunrace Sturmey Archer
    3212 Jefferson Street #409
    Napa, CA 94558

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'm definitely gonna pick one up when they come out! too cool..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

whats new here???...shimano nexus do a 8spd one

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Its a fixed gear three speed hub, not a freewheel one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Itsfixed wrote: »
    Its a fixed gear three speed hub, not a freewheel one.
    So how do you change gear? All the hub gears I've used you have to stop pedalling for the change to happen - even with a Speedhub , although you can change whilst pedalling, the change only happens when you stop pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Good question. I think from what Sturmey Archer are asking customers - what would be an acceptable level of backlash (backwards pedal movement before engagement) - suggests that there would be a bit of backwards pedaling movement when changing gear on the move. Obviously it would be a bit annoying if you could only change gear when stopped.

RP, i know what you mean about freewheeling hub gears not actually changing until you stop pedalling or even back pedal, so I'm guessing that what is supposed to happen is that when you change gear, you apply a bit of backwards pedalling force like you would do to slow the bike down, at which point the gear changes, and then start pedalling forwards again, if that makes sense.

This is all guesses, by the way, there's very little information about it generally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement