Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boards Upgrades

Options
  • 15-10-2007 11:38am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can any one point me in the right direction for all the upgrades and new user features after the upgrade.

Maybe its because its Monday morning but I cant find for example what infractions is and what it does
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Feature list here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186803

With infractions, the rule for the moment is "If you don't know what they're for, don't use them".

Forum with some discussion here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=990

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Infraction Mods can give out infractions for various reasons, infractions have points and lapse dates attached, if you pass a certain point threshold you might be auto-banned etc.

Yellow/Red Cards, as someone put it.

Don't know about the additional features except for 'search for users posts'

seamus wrote: »

Thanks for that, couldn't find it.
    With infractions, the rule for the moment is "If you don't know what they're for, don't use them".

Forum with some discussion here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=990

The OP won't have access to that link.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So infractions is like the penalty points system with the Mods been the Garda and a speeding offence being something like perosnal abuse or what not?

Some other interesting stuff on the list gona look at it later.

Should there be a sticky on feedback or new users/faq for this?

D'oh, thought you were a mod. :)

Pretty much like that kearnsr. Different infractions get you different points, and after X points you get your rights curtailed.

It hasn't been implemented in any serious capacity, there's a lot to iron out on it. For the moment it appears as though the mods are using it as a handy "Warn user" feature, which also provides an audit trail.

Mods shouldn't be giving out infraction outside of their own forums. Start a help desk thread if this happens to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

D'oh, thought you were a mod. :)

No harm done. maybe one day I'll get invited to one of them coke fulled mod parties (honestley I wouldnt be pushed as I'm more of a Club Lemon kind of man).

Pretty much like that kearnsr. Different infractions get you different points, and after X points you get your rights curtailed.

It hasn't been implemented in any serious capacity, there's a lot to iron out on it. For the moment it appears as though the mods are using it as a handy "Warn user" feature, which also provides an audit trail.

Mods shouldn't be giving out infraction outside of their own forums. Start a help desk thread if this happens to you.

The reason why I was asking was the rozie thread that got closed and was trying to figure out what was going on.

I also wanted to know how to use other features.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I notice there is also a feature TO STOP YOU FROM SHOUTING.

Basically, if you post in all caps, vBulletin "fixes" it for you and changes the words to lower case.

Edit: Ok, that did work. It didn't work over on BG+RH. I is confused?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Is the user automatically notified of an infraction and is the offending post and/or mod involved recorded with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

humbert wrote: »
    Is the user automatically notified of an infraction and is the offending post and/or mod involved recorded with it?
    Yes, via email and PM

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It Only Works If Everything In The Thread Is Caps Afaik.... Then It Becomes Like This One

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DeVore wrote: »
    It Only Works If Everything In The Thread Is Caps Afaik.... Then It Becomes Like This One

THAT'S KINDA KEWWL.

Edit: That didn't work for me.

Edit 2: Oh wait everything in the thread, I thought you said post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

DeVore wrote: »

Aha.

THANK YOU DEVORE YOU ARE YOUR USUAL HELPFUL SELF.

Spankeh wrote: »
    Yes, via email and PM

Is this likely to get caught with a spam filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

kearnsr wrote: »
    Is this likely to get caught with a spam filter?
    Depends on your (or the IT dept.) settings at the end of the day!

If you can get PM notifications then infraction notifications should get through.

Depends on your (or the IT dept.) settings at the end of the day!

If you can get PM notifications then infraction notifications should get through.

Was just wondering if this could come up as excuse for what ever reason for getting around a banning ie i never got the notice so shouldnt be banned or I only got 1 email not the other so this is only my first offence etc

Was just wondering if this could come up as excuse for what ever reason for getting around a banning ie i never got the notice so shouldnt be banned or I only got 1 email not the other so this is only my first offence etc
    PMs don't get caught by spam filters :)

PMs don't get caught by spam filters :)

That's true. So Whats the point of the email then? Does it not add a potential week link to the system in terms of running/maintaining the email system and the messing that could go on if emails aren't received?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Has anyone had problems with Cookies not updating properly? Since the upgrade boards isn't updating for me. I've cleared out my cookies etc but I have to refresh each page when I visit to get the latest forums etc!

That's true. So Whats the point of the email then? Does it not add a potential week link to the system in terms of running/maintaining the email system and the messing that could go on if emails aren't received?
    I don't think so. The email is an offshoot of the PM - if the user has chosen not to be notified of PMs by email, they won't know about the infraction notification.

Yes, via email and PM

Ah, cool. Had visions of it becoming a way for mods to take a sneaky dig at a user that was pissing them off.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. The email is an offshoot of the PM - if the user has chosen not to be notified of PMs by email, they won't know about the infraction notification.

I dont get notifications of pm recived but I can easily tell if I get a new pm ie 1 unread message in top right hand corner when I log on. I thought it would be as simple as that

Ah, cool. Had visions of it becoming a way for mods to take a sneaky dig at a user that was pissing them off.

Why would you think that?

Nah, it's supposed to be quite open and transparent. I don't think the admins would be overly enamoured with any kind of secret "Things about this user we don't like" list that moderators could see.

Aside from the DPA issues, it removes the right to reply. There is a feature in vB called User Notes, which allows admins to add information about particular users, which is hidden from everyone including the user themselves.
    IIRC there was a discussion on using it to note down bans for users, so a ban history coudl be reviewed, but it was a no-go because of the sneaky nature of it and the nightmare of policing it.
    I dont get notifications of pm recived but I can easily tell if I get a new pm ie 1 unread message in top right hand corner when I log on. I thought it would be as simple as that
    Yep, 'tis. It's just a normal PM in a standard format. The infraction is a separate note maintained on your profile, but the PM is a message from the mod as to why you got it. I can give you one now if you want to see how it works.

Why would you think that?

Well because all mods are mean evil Nazis, of course :)

Yep, 'tis. It's just a normal PM in a standard format. The infraction is a separate note maintained on your profile, but the PM is a message from the mod as to why you got it. I can give you one now if you want to see how it works.

Yeah I'd like to see how it works so send me one*

as long as it doesnt go on my permeant record

Nah, it's supposed to be quite open and transparent. I don't think the admins would be overly enamoured with any kind of secret "Things about this user we don't like" list that moderators could see.

Aside from the DPA issues, it removes the right to reply. There is a feature in vB called User Notes, which allows admins to add information about particular users, which is hidden from everyone including the user themselves.
    IIRC there was a discussion on using it to note down bans for users, so a ban history coudl be reviewed, but it was a no-go because of the sneaky nature of it and the nightmare of policing it.

Admirable policy. Well thumbs up for the infraction system from me then.

Ah man I just an infraction. Totally didnt deserve it. I'm so gona fight the power and bring this to feedback!

Didnt get an eamil but I think thats cause there was an old email account there and i prob didnt update it soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yellow/Red Cards, as someone put it.
    That was me and I have a ton of them ready to be used. :D

Dont like this infraction thingy at all. Back to basics ;)

It should also be noted that when an infraction is given for a post, the post gets marked with a red card (infraction) or yellow card (warning). As per the attached.

A thread is also started in another forum to discuss the infraction. Along with the rest of the system, that's in testing at the moment.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    That was me and I have a ton of them ready to be used. :D

Dont like this infraction thingy at all. Back to basics ;)

Rather partial to a reported post myself.

Advertisement