Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parrots

Options
  • 15-10-2007 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Can anyone give me any advice on where to buy a parrot.Don't want to buy from a pet shop and would prefer to buy from a reputable breeder if possible.Have searched online but finding it tough to find info.Any advice?

Comments

What kind of parrot are you looking for ? An expensive one like african gret or Mckaw , or a bit cheaper ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It all depends on what you want (& not all pet shops are bad!)

Avairy birds are way cheaoper than hand reared but all birds are going up in price etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭flyingdagger

Either an african grey or solomon eclectus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'd like to point out that both cockatoos and macaws have a louder squawk than other species and cockatoos like to display for 5-10 minutes every morning and evening and displaying involves them squawking.

When all the windows and doors were closed in our house and all the windows and doors were closed in the next door neighbours house (both detached houses), they could still hear Pepsi the cockatoo squawk. I was in the back garden of a house two doors down and you could hear faint squawks from inside our house
    Pepsi was in the back of the house, but you could clearly hear him squawk if you were happening to pass the front of the house when he was noisy.

This website gives info on cockatoos, it opens with a cockatoo squawking, so be sure to put your volume up to the highest to get the full effect of what its like own a cockatoo:

http://www.mytoos.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I know a chap who has 3 baby greys being handreared at the moment - pm me for more info.

• Advertisement

Go for the African Grey, you wont look back, they are a great pet and really like a person as they have good days and bad days. Very very smart also .

Advertisement