Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS.70-271 Exam

Options
  • 15-10-2007 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I'm doing the above exam on Friday. Any tips / advice? Ive worked through all the Measure up and Transcender stuff.

Im at the stage that I know the answers before I read all the question since I've practiced so much.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have a look here

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EOD

Also when you are doing the exam, do the following

Read the answers first before reading the question. This means when you are looking through the question you will be able to eliminate some of the silly answers first and also it will clue you in to reading the question carefully.

If this is your first exam, take it nice and slow its not a race. Just make a mental note of how many questions you have and the amount of time you can spend on each one. This is fairly important towards the end of the exam.

Take your time reading the question as it is usually only one piece of information that changes the whole meaning of the question. So as before read the answers first and then the question

Any question you arent sure off, you can always mark with a review tick and then get back to it. This will stop you panicking if you havent a notion of what is going on.

Do take the time to review your questions at the end.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

quick q if I may: One of the trancenders q's (well explanation section) says that in order to switch between a floppy drive and cd drive in the same laptop bay, all you have to do is hit F5 after swapping the drives. Surely a restart is needed???

I think that the answer is wrong in this case and want to make sure.

Depends on the laptop manu..

Normally the drive switch uses hot swappable drives. It can be just a case of pressing F5 to refresh the drives or else just do a rescan of the machine for new hardware in device manager...

I used to have mine connected via USB as well and it was fine..

ok ... cheers ginger.

What exact ID's are accepted. I presume the likes of Driving License, Passport, birth cert are accepted. What about utility bills, garda ids??

• Advertisement

1 photo ID at least.. namely the likes of work id card if you have one, and I have used a visa card as well.. I used my work ID which has my name and pic and my visa card as ID for 1 exam

Ring your exam centre and ask them, they will give you a definative answe

Checked with them. 1 photo id must be used eg Drivers Licence, Passport. Second Id must have signature like Bank Card or Social Welfare Card etc.

Ahh I see why my work ID worked, its a government ID card (well it was, before I moved jobs that is!)

On another note, I see that Fas ecollege offer online courses. I was interested in doing something like CCNA or Network+ or a Server2003 MCP course

I have set up 2003 server before and networked 36 computers using switches etc, used DHCP, active directory etc etc all without assistance all through self learning.

Has anyone any experience with these online courses - are they comprehensive. I am pretty comfortable with standard networking so should I skip Network + and just do CCNA.

The reason I am considering doing the online course is that it suits my occupation, my style of learning and they are a hell of a lot cheaper than taught courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I used a provisional licence + VISA + Microsoft ID this morning, worked fine.

• Advertisement

What exam were you doing? How did you get on? :)

MCTS 70-43 I got an 880, which I was more than happy with! it was a very close call for me, I wasn't sure at all going in.

good stuff!

Just to fill ye in on how it went.

Just back from the exam. Passed with a score of 799.

It was quite a daunting experience! I was more nervous than I thought. I was never that nervous for any of the countless exams I did in University.

I'm not all that impressed with the fact that you do not get to see what questions that you got wrong. All I was presented with was a bar chart-type result of how well I did in each category. I guess its their way of protecting their question base but it means that the learning experience from the exam is limited.

The Measureup CDs were not all that useful for the exam but the transender material was excellent stuff.

Well done. Yeah they dont tell you what questions you get wrong. Thats the same in all exams that have only have a limited number of questions.

First one down now.. next few will be easier now that you know what the exams are like.

Make sure to sign up to the MCP site when you get the emails in relation to exam.

Thanks

How long does it take for the emails to arrive?

Can be anything up to 5 working days. Once the results are sent to MS and processed you should recieve an email with first instructions and a code and the a second with a password.

You then associate your Live ID with your MCP ID so you can access the MCP site. There you will able to print off your trascript, order your welcome pack and certs etc.

Congrats on passing your first MS exam!!

Whats next for you?

Thanks for asking! Gonna finish MCDST by doing 70-272. Havent made up my mind on after that though!

Either CCNA, A+, or 70-290. A+ for me would really be about filling in the gaps and preparing for the exam. I have read the content and its fine so I might do that first.

However CCNA or 70-290 would be a total learning curve for me. All my experience with servers and networking is 100% self taught. I'm unsure as to which direction to head in! Any advice would be ++++++

You could continue on the windows track and move up to the MCSA/MCSE on 2003.

I think you have one of the electives already done with the 271 exam.

The 290 exam is fairly ok, I found it easier than some of the other exams I have done, but then again, i was working fairly intensively on a virtual lan at the time. If you have experience in setting up windows networks then most of it will be a breeze.

• Advertisement

As above,

Continue up the windows tree till MCSA/MCSE then try the CCNA.
    All my experience with servers and networking is 100% self taught

Same as.

Ginger, Yes 271 is one of the required exams

Static,
    Yeah, I was thinking that if I was to do 290, i might as well do the whole hog and perhaps strive towards MSCA.

Anyhu I'll get 70-272 out of the way first!

Good stuff.. MCDST and then MCSA/MCSE. Will look good on a CV too :D

When you get into the MCP site there is a certification planner that lists all possible certifications you can do based on the current ones you have, which is handy if you are looking to see which ones cross over certifications such as the 271 above

Actually the 271 is specific to the MCDST, so you would have to do the 270 or 620 exams for the MCSA..

Advertisement