Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive = Funny?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think that you're all missing the point of the article. The main point that if the likes of Jimmy Carr or Ricky Gervais can have a joke lifted by Jim Davidson it's worth questioning the material in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The main point that if the likes of Jimmy Carr or Ricky Gervais can have a joke lifted by Jim Davidson it's worth questioning the material in the first place.

yeah he used that in his set below...but he does stick upfor jimmy tho (skip up to 1 min 24 seconds in,aka when its on -3.50)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

SDooM wrote: »
    When Tenacious D played here last year, they had support from an American comedian. His jokes were unfunny and higly designed to shock.

I would say they were aimed at a much more unsophisticated audience than he got, as most people didnt laugh, or boo (as I am sure they were supposed to), merely shook their heads.

Did anyone else witness that? It was a real example of how shock value doesn't equal laughs.

Bill Bailey is an excellent example of how you dont need foulness to be incredibly funny.

Yeah that guy was terrible - most people were boo'ing or just talking to each other trying to ignore him. What was his name anyway just so I can make sure to avoid him in future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Tails142 wrote: »
    What was his name anyway just so I can make sure to avoid him in future?

"america's funnyman" neil hamburger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I think that you're all missing the point of the article. The main point that if the likes of Jimmy Carr or Ricky Gervais can have a joke lifted by Jim Davidson it's worth questioning the material in the first place.

I'm sure one comedian can steal a joke from another comedian and depending on his audience (ie bigoted in the case of Jim Davidson) appropriate the joke to get a completely different response to the one originally intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

hotspur wrote: »
    Only post I'll ever write deconstructing humour on this forum I promise. I now agree with Tommy Tiernan on this - analysing comedy is like dissecting a fairy! :)

Actually I rather enjoyed that post! Funnily enough Jimmy Carr was a guest on the Chris Moyles show this week and had to deconstruct some of his jokes for Aled (the producer of the show). Aled has a notoriously poor understanding of jokes whatever way his brain is wired. Not neurotypical for sure!

Carrs deconstruciton of the jokes was very well done and showed that he truly understands the power of his words/work. Therefore I'd suggest that when Carr is being offensive he knows why he's doing it and what he's building to. Whether it works with different audiences is another story.

As DeV said in his post 'Clever' and 'Funny' correlate well but 'offensive' only works in certain circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

There was a show on more4 last night about offensive humour.
    'tis on youtube if you wanna look it up.
    Was called 'World's Most Offensive Joke'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

There was a show on more4 last night about offensive humour.
    'tis on youtube if you wanna look it up.
    Was called 'World's Most Offensive Joke'

I watched that last night, wasn't great. I wish they had not had Darkus Howe as a representative of the anti-offensive humour side, don't drag in a guy who has no sense of humour and little intelligence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

hotspur wrote: »
    I watched that last night, wasn't great. I wish they had not had Darkus Howe as a representative of the anti-offensive humour side, don't drag in a guy who has no sense of humour and little intelligence!
    Ye, he doesn't have a history of taking a joke well.
    On the whole offensive thing, I think everything is a target as long as the joke is funny and is not malicious.
    There was a guy called Ian Stone who seemed very able to have a go at alot of topics (like the tsunami ect), but seemed to take exception to an anti-semitic joke at the start. He's jewish, and its fair enough that he got offended, but he can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the article is missing the point of the humour. when jim davidson makes a racist joke, he's making fun of the other race but when jimmy carr makes one, he's making fun of jim davidson for thinking like that

• Advertisement
Advertisement