Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend room up into attic?

Options
  • 15-10-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am starting into a process of trying to make my small dublin 1905 2 bed terrace house more space efficient (and generally tidy it up at the same time). A friend suggests the possibility of pushing one of the bedroom's roof up into the attic. The ceiling upstairs is already part way up into the attic (so I have partly sloping roof in front and back bed). This leaves only a few feet of attic space so no possibility of an attic conversion. What might be possible (I think?) is to extend the ceiling of one of the bedrooms all the way up to the roof. This gives the possibility of putting a velux in to brigthen the room up. It also allows for the possibilty of putting a mezzanine platform in.

And so to the question - does this sound at all feasible? I'm not sure how the roof will be supported if half the attic is gone :confused:

Could anyone reccomend an architect who might have some ideas on improving a tiny city terraced house (via PM I guess)?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This thread is related...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164572

As it mentions, you must have support for the loading of the actual roof and this is achieved by using joists which enable the roof to sit on the supporting walls. You've probably hit this joist in the front and back bed, so further headroom is not going to be possible without a roof rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sound like you have slightly sloped edges on external walls, this is because is joists are up from the wall plate level (effectively a collar) and the rafters are sitting on the walls, the joists/collar here is functioning to spread some of the load and to keep the roof assembly rigid. This means stopping the walls and/or rafters from spreading under the loading and also preventing rafters from sagging.

If you want to remove these you have to replace them somehow

Access the attic and measure the distance between two rafters/joists. It may be possible to install a velux (or number of) with out removing joists. The space won't be paticularly usable but it will certainly improve the room

Advertisement