Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of clutch

Options
  • 15-10-2007 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

First time posting here, I'd be really grateful if someone out there can help me!

I have a problem with the clutch of my 2000 seat ibiza. Last week I was just about to pull off when I noticed that all the resistance had gone from the clutch pedal. It just lay really flat to the floor. I could drive it (just) but it was really difficult to get in into first and second gear and it wouldn't reverse without making a loud grating sound.

Since I couldn't drive it very far, I was unable to bring it to my usual garage in Kerry (I live and work in Cork) so I brought it to a local garage close to my house. The garage are now saying that the clutch, cable and pedal box need replacing and its going to cost in the region of €830 (incl. vat) to fix. I guessed that the clutch was gone but at a mileage of 49K I can't understand how its gone already. Does €830 sound reasonable? Following some bad luck recently I am unbelievably broke :( and really can't afford to get ripped off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SMM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have you asked about used parts? They're probably being lazy and will be delighted to have you pay for shiny new pedal boxes. (obviously, you should fit a NEW clutch plates if they're required- but they shouldn't be at 50k).

Cos the cars pushing on but the mileage is low, it sounds like something's gone wonky as opposed to something being worn out. With this problem, it could be a lot of things- master cylinders and such yokes most of us know nothing about so they would want to be 100% sure before having you spend that kind of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

hmm,

based on description it seems to me that only clutch cable is gone? Did you notice anything strange in clutch before this?

I would get another estimate since 830 euros is just completely crazy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There was a problem in the previous model ibiza with the bracket that holds the clutch pedal snapping, causing exactly the problem you describe, about €100/150ish to fix. Like others mentioned, it really sounds like one part just went snap. Unless you did more damage driving it to the garage, I'd be thinking of a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

Thanks so much for the info.

Just to give you a bit more detail: I know that the clutch is slipping badly (It take ages for car to stall when pulling off in fifth!) and admittedly the clutch has always been very stiff in comparison to any other car I've driven. How much should a clutch cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

SMM wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the info.

Just to give you a bit more detail: I know that the clutch is slipping badly (It take ages for car to stall when pulling off in fifth!) and admittedly the clutch has always been very stiff in comparison to any other car I've driven. How much should a clutch cost?

That could be due to stiffness in the clutch cable itself which doesn't allow the cable back to the resting position.

This could over a short time wear out your clutch plate and pressure plate if left untreated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement