Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU and X1950Pro

Options
  • 15-10-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

Will my 350w psu be good enough to run the X190pro?

I've been told that it will no problem but just want some expert advice.

I have a Dell D5000 - mean wattage of psu is 305w but have been told that total output is 350w

Any advice would be much appreciated.

EireEV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Lads how do I find out what my psu is? Is it written on the PC case somewhere?
    Sorry if its a stupid question but I'm kinda clueless when it comes to PC's
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah it will say something like 'Max total output not to exceed xxx watts'. Also, look for a little table - it will give amp ratings on the 12v rail. This is very important as well as the wattage.

You should be OK with an X1950Pro...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Yes but how do I know for sure? Don't want to spend €140 on the card to find out it's useless.

Thanks.

EireEV

Most people report with a Dell 305w psu that they have run X1950GT/Pros OK. So hence, it should work, but there is no official guarantee it will.

Sorry if I came across wrong there HavoK - Thank you very much - I'll go for the X1950Pro - I bow to your superier knowledge.

Is the one below Ok? Why is it called "Sapphire Radeon" ?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326957

In your opinion is this the best card available to me with a 350w psu?

EireEV

• Advertisement

Yes. Some sites also sell X1950GT's, which are almost as good and considerably cheaper. But if its performance you're after, I think you won't best an X1950Pro

See here for a 30 quid saving though. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331534

Sapphire is the name of the vendor of the card.

what about the 8600GTS? Will this run in my machine?

Was looking at this on Komplett and is considerably dearer than the X1950Pro. Why is that? Big price range also? Is this dependent on the vendor i.e Gainward Vs Asus Vs XFX?

Thanks for all your advice to date.

8600GTS isn't great value for money. Performance is generally sub X1950 in everything. It is Dx10 though, which won't matter unless you're running Vista and doesn't really matter in games to date anyway either. Much better to have a fast dx9 part then a mid range dx10 part. Doesn't matter what the vendor is hardware wise generally although some vendors give better warrantys, apply factory overclocks, or might have better coolers, etc. But for just the average user any vendor would be fine.

makes sense. I have to do some series reading up on all the the jargon related to graphics cards. :)

Will the Radeon X1950Pro allow me to play all the latest games to a high standard like Quake Wars, MOH - Airborne, Company of Heroes OF, Call of Duty4, UT3 etc..

Sorry about all the questions.

Hi lads,

I checked my PSU and its a 250watt output but for the life of me I couldnt find what the amps were, the psu model number is FSP250-60HEN, from reading on some other sites I get the impression this psu isnt much use, can anyone recommed a decent psu and costs involved please? Also are they hard to swap out?
    Thanks for all the great advise by the way?
    P

• Advertisement

I had a similar 250w FSP PSU I had in my old machine, it ran a 7600GT without any problems so you might get away with a 8600GT, I think it had about 18a on the rails. As for swapping the PSU is it a full size atx or m-atx case? Because replacing m-atx psu's is expensive and it's hard to get high rated ones, but if its normal atx then it should be easy replace.

The X1950Pro would run those games fairly well at mid-high average, better at some then others. All those games you've listed would run well at 1280x1024 high settings.

Great news, Thanks! have it on order so can't wait to get it now - ordered 2gig of Ram also - Is there much of a performance difference between 400,533,667&800MHz DDR2 Ram? - my mobo only supports 400&533Mhz so have bought 2gig of non-ECC 533MHZ DDR2.

Thanks for all your advice HavoK - much appreciated.

Hi lads,

After some research and a lot of good advise from the guys in here (thanks very much by the way) I've decided to upgrade my PSU to a Hiper Modular 530W and go with either the 8600GTS or the X1950PRO,has anyone expereience with both cards? What would you recommend? Its just within my budget..
    I have another question regarding my monitor, the only input I have is the 15pin blue one, I'm sorry but I dont know the correct name for that paticular connection, will I be able to hook up the monitor handy if I go for either of those cards?
    P.

the X1950Pro should be cheaper and performs better to boot. Thats a VGA connection and those cards will be dvi but you will get an adaptor in the box so you can use them no problem.

Hi All,

Well I got my new PSU and graphics card last week, I got a Hiper 530w and went for the 8600GTS, the main reason I went for the 8600GTS was it was in stock and could have it there and then as opposed to waiting 4/5 days for X1950PRO to come in...
    I'm well chuffed with the card playing MOH Airbourne no probs at all, I know there's a few new cards coming out soon but as I wouldnt have the budget in a few weeks I just bought what I could afford now.
    Thanks for all the great advise lads, I've learnt a fair bit..

P.

Got the X1950Pro and 2GB of RAM today so will install these later this evening.

1 thing - the box says PSU should be 450W or more so am very worried now as mine is only 350W

oh my god !!!

EireEV.

Advertisement