Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okay want to scrap my 8800GTS for an Ultra..

Options
  • 15-10-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

After having my GTS for only around 5 months I have decided I need/will need more power so I am thinking about going for an Ultra.

Wouldnt be thinking about this if it wasnt for Crysis. Was led to believe my GTS would handle it really well, but now those guys have suddenly opened up and stated that only the high end cards can hold up the game at 1680 res...:rolleyes:

Anyway it was originally a GTX I had in mind, and I know people say there's no real difference between that and the Ultra, but recently after checking out some benchmarks (with both cards at stock) I have noticed that there is actually a pretty substantial gap in performance. So seeing as I want this upgrade to last me a good while, through crysis, alan wake and all, I think it would be best to go for the highest end card now.

I'm looking to get a used Ultra so can you guys give me an idea of the price I'd be looking at for second hand?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would you not be better to wait for crysis to come out and then buy the top end card?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Well I would prefer to get it sooner cause it's not as if I'm uncertain of how well my current card will perform in Crysis. I know for sure it's not enough for maxed out settings, and it's been stated officially that a GTS is only just pushing the recommended settings.. This is why I think it would be better to make a move now while my GTS is still worth something.

This brings me to another question. How long do you think an Ultra would last me? For maxed out / fluid gaming of course..

Also if there was a solid release date for the next gen card (9800GTX?) maybe I would hold out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

have a xfx 8800ultra 612m tis scarily fast can only imagine what you oc lads could do with it i also sold my 8800gts to get it was well worth it imo

can play criysis beta on max settings aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Thanks grim thats good to know.

Also grim did you get yours used? If so how much did you grab it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Seriously just wait till next gen high end, its only a few months away for both ATI and Nvidia. Besides the GTS should play Crysis fine at 1680x1050 not maxed but close enough that I'd doubt you would notice the minute texture differences etc. And I'm talkin the gts at stock here so with overclocking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

nibble wrote: »
    Seriously just wait till next gen high end, its only a few months away for both ATI and Nvidia. Besides the GTS should play Crysis fine at 1680x1050 not maxed but close enough that I'd doubt you would notice the minute texture differences etc. And I'm talkin the gts at stock here so with overclocking...

The new cards coming out soon from both ATI and nVida are more then likely going to be mid range cards .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

they'll be mid range but for a card that can keep toe to toe with an ultra for 300 euro or less :D

Advertisement