Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knee problems

• 15-10-2007 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭

Dont know if you can help me out on this one. Have a 16 year old who damaged his knee during a training session. Attended A&E and was diagnosed with cartilage problem...seeminly cartilage briefly popped out. Anyway was put on rest for 5 days and painkillers. Doc said he is ok to participate in cross country run next week... would it heal that soon?: He seems to be now pain free but could he damage further? Also does anyone know of any good spikes which may help reduce the risk of knee injuries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

if he pain free it dont neccessarily mean that he fine personally i feel try bit of lit runnin for the next week or two and leave the race i mean it better to be out an extra week now than a few months in the middle of the race season there will be plenty more races coming up also make sure that he stays off trainin on the roads as much as possible and sticks to the grass as it will bhe easier on the knees and save them in the long run as that one of the major causes of runners retiring from the sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maratonass

A friend tells me that the tarmac surface on cycle tracks is a bit easier on the knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I read somewhere, here, that a lot of people use cycle tracks, must be the in thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Using cycle tracks, now that is fighting talk!
    Cyclists, are understandably, unhappy with non-cyclists using cycle tracks.
    For example, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055163369

Try running on grass or use the tarmac paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

why don't you guys just cycle on the road or grass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maratonass

Boston wrote: »
    why don't you guys just cycle on the road or grass?
    I think the current law forcing runners to use foootpaths is wrong. It's a fundamental right, we should be able to run where we like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

one that law is not enforced and two whether it cycle lanes or footpaths it still hard on ur kness every time your foot hits the ground you exert 13 times your body weight on your knees so if ya wanna be runnin in years to come stick to the grass as much as possible unless it track sessions of course

Advertisement