Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see the death of religion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Unfortunately it wont happen. Tim and I have hit an impass and its the reason I have stopped responding and arguing. After a while things start getting silly and it winds up in verbal assault.

With my mouth it could probably get me sued. ;)
    Well if you can continue with some logical argument by all means do.
    You are just violating logical rule after logical rule and when you are challenged on any you are not just asserting the challenge as just "stupid".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yes - through proactive secularism
    If Mr Spock clicked on this thread, his green blood would run cold with the supposed use of 'logic'. His Vulcan Nerve Grip would render you both unconscious and that would be that.

Enough talk about logic and the dynamics of arguments. Don't make me call Mr Spock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Not all beliefs - just fundamentalist stuff.
    Dades wrote: »
    If Mr Spock clicked on this thread, his green blood would run cold with the supposed use of 'logic'. His Vulcan Nerve Grip would render you both unconscious and that would be that.

Enough talk about logic and the dynamics of arguments. Don't make me call Mr Spock.

Huh, I always knew atheists were vulcanphobes.

You should be clearer on the rules of debate you allow. You are allowing people just call valid points "stupid" and you are berating me for the second time for trying to encourage a more logical format to the conversation.
    what are more supposed to do, just call him stupid back?

I would suggest, you point out where you think logical mistakes have been made. By all means call Mr. Spock.

Hivemind is guilty of calling your arguments stupid, and you are guilty of giving logic a bad name with your pseudo-technical debate speak.

You're now starting to resemble two children in the back of a car.

So fine, as you were. But the first one to start flinging mud or provoke a mud flinging gets a weekend break courtesy of Boards Failte.

• Advertisement

You are guilty of giving logic a bad name with your pseudo-technical debate speak.
    It would make more sense if you just showed exactly where I err'd in logic, or update your charter to say you don't want logic speak.

It would make more sense if you just showed exactly where I err'd in logic.
    I'm an atheist. My one life does not welcome that tedious task.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'm an atheist. My one life does not welcome that tedious task.

The task is illogical, Captain. If Tim is logical, he can spot his own illogic. If he is not logical, he cannot, even if it is pointed out to him.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The task is illogical, Captain. If Tim is logical, he can spot his own illogic. If he is not logical, he cannot, even if it is pointed out to him.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I favour logic but that doesn't mean I don't make logical mistakes. No problem if you wish to point out mistakes (as also stated in posts 171). But if you can't or don't want to point them out, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I favour logic but that doesn't mean I don't make logical mistakes. No problem if you wish to point out mistakes (as also stated in posts 171). But if you can't or don't want to point them out, so be it.

I don't think it's a worthwhile use of anyone's time but your own, really. Just read them as you would someone else's, to start with.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JimiTime wrote: »
    -Edit- If any atheist answers no, could you explain why?
    No, because other, more stupid cults would pop up in the place of the cults which went away. Once there is fear of the unknown, or ignorance of what is known, cults will use that fear to get people to worship them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

You just don't listen.
    But the first one to start flinging mud or provoke a mud flinging gets a weekend break courtesy of Boards Failte
    Asia :mad:

Asiaprod wrote: »
    You just don't listen.

Asia :mad:
    You berate me, I ask for examples to your claims, you refuse to give any. Sounds like ego's on the rampage.
    What's the point of entering discussions if you all get is abuse.
    I personally ask to be banned.
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Yes, except for my religion.
    lol

i was hoping it would be for some drama related reason on A&A

and I was right, awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I'm an alatrist that is opposed to to abortion, I want a dollar. :()
    I'm opposed to abortions too - or, more accurately, I'm opposed to unwanted pregnancies, in the same way that I am opposed to car accidents. They are sad, and avoidable... BUT when they happen, do the victims really know or care about any moral angle, or want to hear a lecture from me or anyone else? IMHO that is no time to be telling them what they can or can not do: the rest of us are bound to offer unconditional support for whatever they decide to do, and compassion. (No, I'm not saying that pregnancy is an "injury", but it is a physical condition that has a long-term impact on the life of the person who has it.)

Back to the original question: I would like to see religion die a natural death. As noted, though, the underlying conditions of irrationality and superstition would have to go, too - otherwise, we're treating the symptoms, and not the disease. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

Yes - through natural causes
    You berate me, I ask for examples to your claims, you refuse to give any. Sounds like ego's on the rampage.
    What's the point of entering discussions if you all get is abuse.
    I personally ask to be banned.
    Thanks.

Tim it has been pointed out that you demand answers and when you get them you seem to ignore them.
    You have also accused Hivermind of fascism for his/her opinions on matters, even though they show no sign of trying to force their opinions on anyone.
    Finally you have been throwing around mad statements about logic that seem to make no sense to anyone but yourself, there's a definite irony to that.

With respect I really think you need to examine the logic you claim to use.
    I saw no reason to butt in and criticise you for it earlier as none of it was directed at me but if it had been I would have found it as infuriating as everyone else that you have pushed it on.

....Edited for spelling errors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thanks Conar, nail on the head
    Tim, I don't do bans by request, you have to earn em. The last time, you banned yourself. Be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yes - through natural causes
    Would I like to see the death of religion?

Personally, yes, although I have only pondered it for about 20 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would I like to see the death of religion, Religion is the WORST thing that has ever happened to this world because Countless Billions of souls have been danmed to hell because of false religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yes - with the exception of personal beliefs.
    So you want the death of religion cause of the amount of people damned to something invented by religion :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes - with the exception of personal beliefs.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    So you want the death of religion cause of the amount of people damned to something invented by religion :confused:

He's just afraid of the competition

I would I like to see the death of religion, Religion is the WORST thing that has ever happened to this world because Countless Billions of souls have been danmed to hell because of false religion.
    They may well have been damned to hell by religion, but of course none of them ended up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I would LOVE to see the death of religion. It's a primitive attempt by people to give them some sort of meaning to their lives. Religion gives them a sense of comfort so they cling to it in the hope that there's a life after death, instead of just enjoying THIS life. Smacks of greed if you ask me. "This can't be it. There has to be more."

But, the main reason I'd like to see it banished forever is the amount of crap and death it has caused, is causing, and will cause until all the 'believers' catch up, evolutionary wise, to all the 'non believers' and grow that little part of the brain that deals with logic and common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

A real atheist would never answer no to this question. Of course I would be happy to see religion die, because it could only happen in a better world than the one we live in today. If everybody was able to see past religions lies then we could face our existence with honesty and endevour to make it better than it is in the knowledge that this is all that there is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Not all beliefs - just fundamentalist stuff.
    nummnutts wrote: »
    I would LOVE to see the death of religion. It's a primitive attempt by people to give them some sort of meaning to their lives. Religion gives them a sense of comfort so they cling to it in the hope that there's a life after death, instead of just enjoying THIS life. Smacks of greed if you ask me. "This can't be it. There has to be more."

But, the main reason I'd like to see it banished forever is the amount of crap and death it has caused, is causing, and will cause until all the 'believers' catch up, evolutionary wise, to all the 'non believers' and grow that little part of the brain that deals with logic and common sense.

Yes, nummnutts, your posts quite clearly display a level of logic and common sense that leave this particular believer open-mouthed with amazement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

PDN wrote: »
    Yes, nummnutts, your posts quite clearly display a level of logic and common sense that leave this particular believer open-mouthed with amazement.

Yes, Nummnuts and TheThing. I'm detecting schoolboys. Teenagers. Maybe leaving cert year, or just below. Little life experience, but knows what is required to be classed 'intellectual'. Judging by the level of Arroga.. I mean 'self belief', good education facility, possibly blackrock or the like. Hows my aim?

PDN, JimiTime. If i was a teenager or of leaving cert level I would be angered by your comments right now. But I'm not. If you want to turn a debate about religion into a slandering match because you have nothing better to say then fine. I have been open mouthed for a long time at how so many people can believe in something that they have not a shred of evidence for. But that's just me. I was brought up as a christian, roman catholic to be specific. But at a certain moment in my life I began to want to know more about the doctrine that was being shoved down my throat. I questioned, thought and considered what it all meant, and after many years of believing I came to the conclusion that I could not believe in a faith that drew it's only "evidence" from such a highly contradicting book. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe you're a better person for believing without seeing, who knows. But tbh I'm not going to get hung up on a god that probably doesn't exist. I'll enjoy this life. I'm not expecting or wanting any more.

It just baffles me that some people don't realize that the time/area/culture they were born in determines their religion. Devoutly religious people claim to be right, no matter what religion they are. It really smacks like naivety and ignorance not to question their own belief. But if you're happy, you're happy. Live and let live, eh. The only thing that is a sure thing is the fact we'll all find out one day, or not, who was right all along.

regards

nummnutts

Judging by the level of Arroga.. I mean 'self belief', good education facility, possibly blackrock or the like. Hows my aim?

P.s. Your aim is way off. Unlucky. 2/10 for effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

nummnutts wrote: »
    If you want to turn a debate about religion into a slandering match because you have nothing better to say then fine. I have been open mouthed for a long time at how so many people can believe in something that they have not a shred of evidence for. But that's just me. I was brought up as a christian, roman catholic to be specific. But at a certain moment in my life I began to want to know more about the doctrine that was being shoved down my throat. I questioned, thought and considered what it all meant, and after many years of believing I came to the conclusion that I could not believe in a faith that drew it's only "evidence" from such a highly contradicting book. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe you're a better person for believing without seeing, who knows. But tbh I'm not going to get hung up on a god that probably doesn't exist. I'll enjoy this life. I'm not expecting or wanting any more.

It just baffles me that some people don't realize that the time/area/culture they were born in determines their religion. Devoutly religious people claim to be right, no matter what religion they are. It really smacks like naivety and ignorance not to question their own belief. But if you're happy, you're happy. Live and let live, eh. The only thing that is a sure thing is the fact we'll all find out one day, or not, who was right all along.

regards

nummnutts
    nummnuts wrote:

In fairness you answered my OP and gave me your honest view, so thanks for that. However, comments such as 'It's a primitive attempt by people to give them some sort of meaning to their lives' and 'But, the main reason I'd like to see it banished forever is the amount of crap and death it has caused, is causing, and will cause until all the 'believers' catch up, evolutionary wise, to all the 'non believers' and grow that little part of the brain that deals with logic and common sense'. Would actually suggest that it was you who started the slagging. Your second post seems to suggest that 'we don't know, we'll find out in the end, I just think this way etc' type of thing. However, your first post was quite clear in saying that we christian Morons have a long way to go to catch up to the intellectual superiority of you non-believers. So you did come across as very haughty indeed. So is it 1 or 2? Are we lagging behind your intellectual superiority? or do you just feel that 'you' don't believe based on scientific evidence etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I have just one thing to say though it might be a mouth-full with loads of spelling mistakes and no puns/sarcasm;

Better education in schools = realization that religion has been a good use in the barbaric times of humanity but has no place in modern times where it is obvious that instead of religion preventing conflict it causes conflict/confusion/catastrophes/carbon-dioxide/charles manson/christina aguilera/cats/catatonia/churchill/cigarettes/cancer/collieflower/CAPITALISM/Coca-cola/crossword puzzles and some of the worst catch phrases in the world like (OMG, Holy God, Jesus Christ, holy mother of jesus christ, jesus christs mothers fathers holy ghost in a cereal bowl....and so on. wait was that a joke i just made!!!Finally

Advertisement