Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'87 hurricane; 20 yrs on...

Options
  • 15-10-2007 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Was just looking at radar before heading out for some hillwalking and happened across this.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/anniversary/storm1987.html
    20 years wasn't long shooting by....like anyone of my age, I remember this pretty well, even though we didn't get it nearly as bad as England. I especially recall watching Mr Fish letting fly the clanger of all clangers.
    Interesting articles detailing timelines and some satelite photos, and commenting on how the event changed weather forecasting.

So what are your memories of this (if any)...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

As you said 20 years on ,,... WOW>.......

Didnt someone write a song about mr fish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol a Tribe of Toffs, had a novelty hit with "John Kettley is a weatherman"...Mr Fish did indeed get a mention. Novelty hits are one thing I don't miss about the 80s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry Michael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqs1YXfdtGE

My own 'hurricane' story was that I slept through it. Sure it was a bit blowy and the house we were in at the time was a 100 years old, but it and the similarly aged trees survived the ordeal. Lots of leaves and twigs on the ground and that was it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Surrey Snow

I was staying in a hotel in Essex (Great Dunmow) as I was working away.

I awoke early and switched on the light, to no avail.

I got up and opened the curtains to find a huge Beech tree firmly "planted" across the cars in the car park.

Something I'll never forget is the tremendous noise, the "howl".

SS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I wasn't allowed out of the house at the time as I was young. I remember thinking it didn't look too bad but it sure was windy. 20 years doesn't take long passing by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The evidence of this storm is still across the road from my mothers house with two large trees leaning over to some degree.Or was it the other storm(charley)that done that?
    One was much blowier than the other cant remember which.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

lived in the se of england at the time, almost felt the full force of it, , slept through most of it, propbabaly have slept throgh more if my mum hadn't of woke me to see if i was ok and to tell me i wasn't going to school

loads of trees down near us, blocking roads, suspended over roads by walls or other trees they fell against, train and tube services had severe delays whislt lines were cleard, wimbledon common and richmond park near to us seen alot of trees blown down, many were left and remain uprooted where they were, have created new habitats for wild life and natural climbing frames for kids who had no fear at the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjNE5hTXL3k&mode=related&search=

alister stewart on ITN news that evening

Advertisement