Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going 2 galway next thurs help please

Options
  • 15-10-2007 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Myself and my husband both in our late 20's are coming to Galway for teh long weekend next week staying in the Radissson

Can you recommend modern young bars (not irish traditional ones) that we can go to, as quay st. only seems to have the old irish trad bars

Also can u recommend some good restaurants in the city, lively and young again, we have booked cactus jacks for the nite we arrive thursday so any suggestions would be great

thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Front Door, Busker Brownes or the Living Room... all within a stones throw of each other, and all are seconds away from Quay St! All 3 serve till late (2am) on weekend nights, my current preference is the Front Door, the Living Room is total bedlam.
    Plenty of restaurants in that general area also... KC Blakes, Fat Freddies, Milanos, Kirbys, Oscars (Dominick St). You might want to have a booking for the popular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

For "trendy 20something" bars try The Cottage (in lower Salthill) or Sheridan's On The Docks (on the Docks ;))

Plenty of restaurants to go around. KC Blakes on Quay St is pretty decent. I haven't heard great things about Cactus Jacks tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shop street (the main street) is packed with bars so my suggestion is really just to walk down it and stick your head in the door. For out-of-towners Kings Head and Front door, both on Shop street, would be best to start in IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I presume you mean Thursday week as that is the weekend of the bank holiday, try the newest and trendy pub in Galway "Tosh" which is at the bottom of Eyre Square its really a cool place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Aerohead wrote: »
    I presume you mean Thursday week as that is the weekend of the bank holiday, try the newest and trendy pub in Galway "Tosh" which is at the bottom of Eyre Square its really a cool place.

Elaborate. Where and when and what kind of pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Aerohead wrote: »

Sorry but tosh is aptly named TOSH as it's crap over priced and full of dollybirds on hens or getting a cocktail before the night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Have to say I liked it when I went in over the weekend, the cocktails are pretty dear but I was drinking pints which was ok, as for the dolly birds they were very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you're coming from the Radisson, go to the Skeff (across the square, left hand side), maybe Bar911 (top, across the taxi rank).
    Then head down Shop St., upstairs in the Cellar can be decent, could get lucky with the tunes.
    Shop St./High St./Mainguard St. is pub central, Dominic St. as a decent end point (Blue Note, Bierhäus, Massimo's, Róisín Dubh).
    It's a bank holiday weekend, so it'll be wedged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Sorry but tosh is aptly named TOSH as it's crap over priced and full of dollybirds on hens or getting a cocktail before the night out.

Agreed possibly one of the worst experiences of a bar i have ever had.Mind you i walked in,laughed and quickly turned on my heals out the door again.Terrible terrible place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Where is this tosh lpace you speak of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    Beside Hotel Meyrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

jakeypooh wrote: »
    Myself and my husband both in our late 20's are coming to Galway for teh long weekend next week staying in the Radissson

Can you recommend modern young bars (not irish traditional ones) that we can go to, as quay st. only seems to have the old irish trad bars

Also can u recommend some good restaurants in the city, lively and young again, we have booked cactus jacks for the nite we arrive thursday so any suggestions would be great

thanks x

Roisin Dubh on Thursday night will be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

JIZZLORD wrote: »

it is in the basement of the meyrick hotel otherwise known as the greatsouthern hotel,it was originally called o flahertys bar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jaysus , O Flahertys bar Redux :eek:

O Flahertys was never emmm ummmm ....lets say 'sophisticated' as such and required more of a total makeover of the clientele than of the name and decor .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Tosh really isn't all that bad. I quite like it for a few drinks. It is quite pricey but I really don't think its becomming of Galway, it would be really more suited to Dublin.

Advertisement