Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog biting other dogs leg?

Options
  • 15-10-2007 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

My female dobie and female collie have a great time 'playing' with my male dobie which is all very nice etc but part of the playing is to catch his back leg with their teeth. I always assumed that this was always no harm but of late I have been noticing little scabs and small scars where this is happening. So obviously they are either bruising or breaking the skin but I have never noticed blood.

Does anyone else get this with their dogs. I know from personal experience that my collie can do a nice painful nip when playing.

Was thinking there might be some kind of spray that would prevent them biting his legs? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The "spray" is you !

Let them know in no uncertain terms that you do not tolerate bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr.B

My dogs do this as well. I have a boxer and her 2 male pups - now large 5 month old dogs do this. It usually happens when 2 gang up on one. One of them will grap the back leg. It's not bullying as they rotate who gangs up on who...its natural instinct to hamstring an opponent/enemy but in this instance natural instinct in play without harm. Don't be too concerned. It's quite funny to watch...but still make sure it doesn't get to the point of skin breaking. Another thing one of the pups used to do to the boxer mother is pin her by the cheeks with his teeth. Used to mark her quite a bit and scab. But she didn't mind and it soon stopped...Obviously she had enough!!!

Advertisement