Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not a Bargain!: 7dayshop P&P costs to Ireland

• 15-10-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Warning to those who used or use 7dayshop.com.
    I was about to order from these guys expecting the what was usual P&P charge of 3.95 GBP. To my horror the cost has now been increased to 7.95 P&P to Eire. I expect to be shopping elsewhere at that price!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats a big increase. Maybe regular buyers (Im not one) should email them and express their opinions on the matter. We all know it doesn't cost half that to post to here and thats even with registered post.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I sent off an email already about this, but am still waiting on their reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Crap-ola! Thats a bloody disgrace - they've always been one of the best places for batteries/memory, etc. I'd definitely be less likely to order from them now.

Must rattle off an email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Bad form for 7dayshop, I've mailed them.

Edited to add: I would have ordered from them approx once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Mailed them as well, that's shocking!

• Advertisement

Good stuff lads. The more people that express their displeasure the better the chance that they may have a change of mind.

In fact I will email them and tell them that I was going to buy but was put off by the shipping charges.

Your post - 15/10/2007 - 16:01
    I notice you have SIGNIFICANTLY increased your postage costs to Ireland. 8GBP is a ridiculous costs, and makes ordering from 7dayshop prohibitively expensive. I think this is something that needs to be reconsidered. Postage to Ireland is not that expensive!!

7dayshop reply - 15/10/2007 - 16:12
    sorry I'm afraid our costs have increased a lot to ireland and that is why we have passed on the charge. Regards

Thank you for your new post
    We will reply again as soon as possible : I'm positive there is cheaper postage options available to Ireland.. many companies offer much cheaper shipping.. why don't you look into these if your current option has increased so much?

It's a shame because yours is probably the best online store for bargains on the majority of computing items

:mad:

7dayshop reply - 15/10/2007 - 16:17
    sincere apologies, this is only only option of postage to Ireland

Thank you for your new post
    We will reply again as soon as possible : Well expect to lose alot of business if you cannot solve this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Please keep us updated on any response from 7dayshop about this, it is really lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I ordered 3 Items off 7dayshop last Week and they arrived in 3 separate packages, all 3 items would have fit in one Jiffy Bag..

Maybe if they combined items they could save on Shipping.

At £7.95 I won't be using 7dayshop again either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Are you sure about this? I am a regular customer of 7dayshop. I have just looked at my history and see that my last order, dispatched on October2nd, cost the usual £3.95 to post. I know there are two options and the other is more pricey..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

karmabass wrote: »
    Mailed them as well, that's shocking!

Popped them a mail too.

And the week I was going to put an order in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

Hey I didn't believe it either and went searching for the option of a lower price P&P. But it's not there!
    From the site:

"EIRE DISPATCH - £7.95
    Items are usually received in 3-5 working days."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Poor form, sent them an email as well.

I'v just asked 7dayshop if they'll come on here and discuss it with us..
    I ordered 3 Items off 7dayshop last Week and they arrived in 3 separate packages, all 3 items would have fit in one Jiffy Bag..

Prime example of how they could do better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Check out www.mx2.co.uk, I've ordered plenty of stuff off them before with no problems. Works out cheaper than 7dayshop for a lot of things, if not most?

That's where I went next. Ordered a 4gb Pro duo memory stick which was about one pound dearer than 7dayshop but no P&P involved. So cheaper alright except then I get an email to say out of stock and a 10- 14 day wait. It's just not my day!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that's daft! I'll second Cormie's suggestion of mx2.co.uk - I've found them very good to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Postage increase is a bit of a shocker.

However, the multi-packaging is how they (legally) avoid having to charge VAT/Duty etc. If they used a single package they would exceed the allowable limits. I know it's a bit of a legal kludge, but it's always worked fine until now.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Also got a reply from them this evening. Same story, Costs have gone up and have to be passed on to the customer. I replied to them saying I will have to take my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

I bought a Sandisk 2Gb MicroSD card from 7daysshop but the card only shows 1GB(about 990MB) in my mobile phone, digital camera and laptop. Has anybody had this problem before?
    It's written on the card -- 2Gb. I did format the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If you visit www.7dayshop.com you will see a link 2 thirds down on the right hand side entitled " Any suggestions?" - its a handy quick way of telling them what you think about this postage increase and saves you going through the whole 'contact us' etc pages.

There's a box for "price" if applicable, handy for pointing out "cheaper anywhere else after your postage increases" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I just emailed them the following:
    Having recently bought some products from your site and having had no problems, I was going to become a regular customer of 7dayshop. However, it has been brought to my attention that your postage costs to Ireland have doubled. I'm afraid that you may have lost not only my custom, but also the custom of many Irish customers. Similar or identical products can now be sourced cheaper elsewhere due to your increased postage costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Ahh bollix I was gonna order some stuff off them. :mad:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Damn, my printer is getting low on ink. I guess I'll not be using 7DS.

byte wrote: »
    Damn, my printer is getting low on ink. I guess I'll not be using 7DS.
    I suppose it depends on the brand but MX2 is by far the cheapest for the original Lexmark cartridges

aaf wrote: »
    I just emailed them the following:
    Good on ya aaf. I emailed them something similar and like everyone else here Im waiting on their response

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the brand but MX2 is by far the cheapest for the original Lexmark cartridges
    Yeah, might check out MX2. I've a HP printer, so I guess carts won't be cheap at the best of times. I used to use Cartex.co.uk a lot too for my old Epson.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Was going to order some headphones from them, and probably some other stuff.

Won't be now - will be sending them a mail to let them know, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

I just sent an e-mail too. I cant beleive they have doubled the postage like this, especially since you can get the same products for cheaper with MX2 as they have no postage costs..
    And i really loved 7dayshop before this, thought it was the best value shop for pc/tech stuff around,,

I dont know if this is a first or not but isnt it great to see us all taking a common stance. I know quite a few people emailed Cdwow to complain but that was something different altogether as the customers werent even getting their orders through.

This is different in so far as most people here would gladly shop again but only if they keep their shipping charges down. I believe that the more emails of complaint they receive the more they will have to reconsider.

Keep complaining boardsies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

+1

Added a link to this thread also :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Costs have increased? Well, I know one thing, and that is that postage rates haven't doubled. Quick buck?

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding the postage costs to Ireland. Post to Ireland from Guernsey costs more than it does to the UK from Guernsey. We recently looked at the cost of posting to Ireland and discovered that we are paying more than double for this service than post to the UK.

Therefore, and regrettably, the postage charged to the customer simply had to be increased. We have maintained a simple charge so that the postage paid per item is less if you order more. We understand that this is in keeping with many other UK mail order companies, and on investigation our charge actually seems reasonable.

We look forward to being of service to you in the future."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zaine68

Sorry but new to this board but not new to 7dayshop. I've used them for the past 5 years and never really had a problem. Think about it guys, when was the last increase of postage costs for any one from 7dayshop? i cant remember thats for sure so it has to be a long time ago. Dont you think that you've had it easy with no increase lately? Most places I've looked at on the net wont even ship to Ireland!

You think you have it tough at £7.95 for postage???? I live in Jersey... about a 40 minute boat ride across the water from where 7dayshop are based and you should hear what we have to pay for getting items to us here from the UK!

£9.00 for a lightweight jiffy Bag of gaskets from John Craddocks (Free for UK mainland)
    £25.00 from Overclockers.co.uk
    £72.00 Minimun carraige charge from Scan.co.uk (no matter what it is)
    £10.00 Supersaver from ebuyer (Free for UK mainland)
    £10.30 For a £20 stick of memory from Pixmania
    £73.00 for a 24" LCD screen

So those are just a few examples that I've had to pay out if i want parts. We have no choice but to pay those prices and you lot complain about a mear £7.95. I would gladly pay that SMALL increase to carry on and get the prices i was getting before.

• Advertisement

Zaine68 wrote: »
    I would gladly pay that SMALL increase to carry on and get the prices i was getting before.

Since when is a 100% price increase considered small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sorry but new to this board but not new to 7dayshop. I've used them for the past 5 years and never really had a problem. Think about it guys, when was the last increase of postage costs for any one from 7dayshop? i cant remember thats for sure so it has to be a long time ago. Dont you think that you've had it easy with no increase lately? Most places I've looked at on the net wont even ship to Ireland!

You think you have it tough at £7.95 for postage???? I live in Jersey... about a 40 minute boat ride across the water from where 7dayshop are based and you should hear what we have to pay for getting items to us here from the UK!

£9.00 for a lightweight jiffy Bag of gaskets from John Craddocks (Free for UK mainland)

So those are just a few examples that I've had to pay out if i want parts. We have no choice but to pay those prices and you lot complain about a mear £7.95. I would gladly pay that SMALL increase to carry on and get the prices i was getting before.

Move to ireland so

Out of curiosity, why would you post on this form? what did you google?

Been looking through my account and have worked out that the LAST increase for postage was 3 years ago and that went from £1.95 to £3.95 and no one complained then!

How many times have the Royal mail put their prices up in 3 years??? I would even hate to start working that out!

For gawd sake people, stop complaining at such a petty thing. As long as you lot get a "Great Deal" or a "Bargain", you honestly dont care if some one looses out as long as it's not you! I would bet my life on the line that you would all do the same if you were the owners of an internet mail order company!

Get a grip on life or Get a life but for gawds sake.... STOP COMPLAINING!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah but you're a little island off the coast of france which transport costs to have increased HUGELY over the past few years due to increased fuel costs and ferry prices rocketing, I know this as I visit Jersey/Guernsey each summer.

Ireland on the other hand is an EU member state, population 5.5mil+ - bit of a difference with economies of scale

Been looking through my account and have worked out that the LAST increase for postage was 3 years ago and that went from £1.95 to £3.95 and no one complained then!

How many times have the Royal mail put their prices up in 3 years??? I would even hate to start working that out!

For gawd sake people, stop complaining at such a petty thing. As long as you lot get a "Great Deal" or a "Bargain", you honestly dont care if some one looses out as long as it's not you! I would bet my life on the line that you would all do the same if you were the owners of an internet mail order company!

Hang on - as a result of the doubling in postage price 7DayShop is no longer the cheapest for a lot of products but we're supposed to continue to buy with them or keep quiet about it?

The mails the place is getting from us now are pointing out how they've lost our custom because they're no longer the cheapest on the market - why should we not let them know this? Should we continue to shop with them even though they're no longer the cheapest available? Do you tend to order items from websites that are dearer than other sites too?

I have to say I find if very odd that you would just stumble across this site and this thread - the only innocent explanation is that you googled it, but why would you google this topic if you were had no problem with paying the extra? I can't even find this thread on obvious googles like '7dayshop postage increase'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Maybe I'm getting suspicious and cynical in my old age, but I think
    7dayshop found this thread. ;)

F28-G-shill.jpg

Not that difficult when several Boardsies provided them the link.

If my suspicions are correct I must say I'm disappointed in their approach.

Tails142 wrote: »
    Yeah but you're a little island off the coast of france which transport costs to have increased HUGELY over the past few years due to increased fuel costs and ferry prices rocketing, I know this as I visit Jersey/Guernsey each summer.

Ireland on the other hand is an EU member state, population 5.5mil+ - bit of a difference with economies of scale

None of our post comes from France so have no idea where you got that from! I'm talking about ordering from the UK. You're closer to the UK than we are and still complain. If i'm not mistaken, a vast majority of post gets flown over and not shipped although some post does get shipped by sea.

As a shopper of 7dayshop.com and have been for 5 years or so, why shouldn't i keep an eye on what deals are going on with one of my fav internet companies. This also goes along for Amazon and play.com. I dont just have friends locally, i do have friends in Ireland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yes, I think we have a shill on our hands here..... Bit blatant too despite the attempts to disguise it. Nonetheless, I will also be mailing 7day to register my approval. The whole purpose of their shop is to buy small bits and pieces. With a prohibitive postage cost, it no longer serves that purpose.

I am willing to bet that their marketing folks thought of this and justified it based on ...

1. The charges from competitors are high but then again I suspect the net value of the orders from these companies is higher too (their prime business would be larger more expensive items in general) as mostly their businesses are not as reliant on low cost "trinket" items. So the postage is a smaller number compared to the value of the order than it is for 7day, thus making the 7day proposition less valuable and palatable in real terms. Its ok to pay £10 postage on a £1000 laptop, but not £8 postage on a set of rechargeable batteries.

2. Bets have probably been hedged that customers won't like it, and thus order volumes will decrease, however they probably reckon that most of this will be offset by people waiting to purchase several items at once, or to buy in bulk to make the postage worth it. In short, from Ireland they are probably expecting fewer orders, but bigger orders and as a consequence a similar or perhaps greater amount of business as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I think this may be a rep from 7dayshop in disguise....

Think what you want, i really dont care. If you want to think that I'm a rep from 7dayshop then go for it, knock your socks off and have fun. It just goes to show how quick you are to point blame at some one for your unhappyness. If you dont like then I feel sorry for you and if you're really unhappy, then just dont buy from them, it's as simple as that!

By all means let them know just how Unhappy you are with the price hike but seriously, think about it, 1 price rise in 3 years totalling a hugely massive £4 cant be that much of a pocket breaker can it, especially when most orders come in more than 1 parcel.

This'll be the last from me as i can't be arsed to post any more. I think some people need to open their eyes and dont be so blind. What you have is still a good deal wither you see it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

This'll be the last from me as i can't be arsed to post any more.

And that concludes the views of the Channel Islands contributor who just happened to stumble across this thread, joined the forum, and now that s/he's supported the retailer will disappear. Not a sockpuppet for 7day shop at all.

Oh, and the price hike is too much - it'll obviously hurt Irish business, but that's their call.

Tut tut. I don't know what planet you're living on but a price hike from 3.95 to 7.95 in three years does not happen even in expensive Ireland. As previous posters (and a lot of them now former 7dayshop customers) noted 7dayshop WAS good and competitive for small bits and bobs such as rechargable batteries, memory cards etc even factoring in the 3.95 P&P. As the word spreads about the prohibitive P&P costs it won't be just those who posted here that will be former customers. Best of luck to 7dayshop if that's how they want to do business (but not with me!)

i do have friends in Ireland too.
    Jesus, with an attitude like yours Im surprised.

What you should do is write to 7dayshop and say you are happy with them doubling their shipping charges to Ireland.................err........ even though you dont live here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Such a strange attempt at shilling; all the customer service person had to do was come on and actually respond to the feedback like a normal adult, but instead they decided to pretend to be a customer who is happy with cost increases to a country they are not even living in!

I'm guessing it is someone lowly in the company, as it is hard to imagine that this level of incompetence runs through the company. In fact, the person's superiors would probably be highly embarassed at what Zaine68 tried to do.

This'll be the last from me as i can't be arsed to post any more.
    Here here!

Anyone else get a reply from them - 24 hour response time I think for replying to queries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement