Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think this series is crap so far?

Options
  • 15-10-2007 2:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're 2 episodes into the new series and I'm not impressed at all.

I know this question pops up with every new series that comes along but normally I don't agree. However, last night's episode was devoted to the amphibious theme again, did you think it warranted re-visiting?

Last weeks episode wasn't great either IMHO. The 3 supercars were impressive but it hardly warranted so much of the episode.

Could we not have a small section of the show devoted to cars that 99.9% of the population are going to be driving.

Are you happy with the show in the current format?

Topgear, any good? 56 votes

Love it.
    0% 0 votes
    Crap altogether.
    58% 33 votes
    Give it time.
    7% 4 votes
    Atari Jaguar FTW.
    33% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Are you happy with the show in the current format?

Yes. I think it stopped being a car programme a long time ago and has turned into entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Yes. I think it stopped being a car programme a long time ago and has turned into entertainment.

QFT.

The main part of the show now seems to be the challenge or adventure they go on, which whether you like the format or not, is always fun and good for a few laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to admit to finding thie first two programmes C+ at best. I enjoyed Jools Holland more than most recent SIARPC guests, the attempt to cross the Channel was entertaining in itself but as noted had feck all to do with brum-brums.

I'd like to see a whole new feature with James May in various oily classics and some group tests of ordinary cars.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

mike65 wrote: »
    I have to admit to finding thie first two programmes C+ at best. I enjoyed Jools Holland more than most recent SIARPC guests, the attempt to cross the Channel was entertaining in itself but as noted had feck all to do with brum-brums.

I'd like to see a whole new feature with James May in various oily classics and some group tests of ordinary cars.

Mike.

So would I but they'd loose 80% of the audience - the show is car based entertainment now - the real Top Gear is long gone and I am sure much missed.
    Although I do find the current format amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,953 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have enjoyed the first two episodes anyway - loved the car trip they went on looking for a great driving road. Loved the review of the Audi R8. Loved the attempts at the channel crossing.

I woiuld kinda like them to do a review on a 'normal' car the odd time, but i'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If I am actually looking at buying a car, I wouldn't base my purchase on a couple of mins of top gear - i would be buying car mags and looking for info on the net, on places like parkers.co.uk. I don't really need Clarkson et al reviewing the latest Mazda 3 1.6 Touring or Seat Leon 1.6 Sport. There are times when i think they could throw in segments on this type of car though (like they did previously with the Micra - the only 'recent' review that comes to mind) as some of the segments they do show can be a bit dead.

Overall, I am happy enough with the current format and and entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

.....this shouldn't be a discussion. Its amazing it never once has dipped in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think the lack of car reviews is down to a lot of things; Clarkson for one is clearly fed up doing normal car reviews, finds them boring. Cars they've reviewed previously and told people not to buy, they're horrible pieces of ****, have sold massively. Cars they've recommended have gone out of production in 9 months. The "normal" cars are reviewed in the TG magazine, and the TV show is down to pure entertainment. The format works, I say leave it.

Advertisement