Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding

Options
  • 15-10-2007 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

First off to get this out of the way yes im a Muppet.

Last night i was heading home and i let the toll bridge heading south on the M50. I made the mistake of thinking the section of road was 100kmh and i hit the speed camera @ about 100-105kmh. (Gatso flashed me)

Im worried as A. this is my first speeding ticket. B. I was wayyyy over the 60km speed limit

What can i expect i think the speed i was doing would constitute dangerous driving am i correct?

I guess there goes my 9 years of clean license:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

€80 and 2 points on your licence. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

NutJob wrote: »

Last night i was heading home and i let the toll bridge heading south on the M50. I made the mistake of thinking the section of road was 100kmh and i hit the speed camera @ about 100-105kmh. (Gatso flashed me)

Im worried as A. this is my first speeding ticket. B. I was wayyyy over the 60km speed limit

What can i expect i think the speed i was doing would constitute dangerous driving am i correct?

I guess there goes my 9 years of clean license:(

Yeah that was reallllllly "dangerous driving" as opposed to a tax collecting scam. You wreckless maniac !

as said, €80 & 2 points .. you'll just have to bite the bullet .

FYI . I got done northbound at 111kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Ah don't worry it won't effect your insurance. How dare you speed on a straight stretch 2 or 3 lane carraigeway what were you thinking. :D Oh that's how I got caught too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

endplate wrote: »
    How dare you speed on a straight stretch 2 or 3 lane carraigeway what were you thinking.
    Was it a 2 or3 lane section or the roadworks area?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Where is there a camera southbound just after the Toll? Or was it a van?
    The only one i know of (fixed camera) is northbound just after Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Saruman wrote: »

Just at the end of the toll bridge at the Lucan exit - well hidden.
    It has to be said though that quite often you might get a flash but no photo...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There is loads of 60kph signs up so how could you think it was a 100kmh zone? They go back as far as the N3 turn of with signs telling you your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Depending on the time of day etc, and the prevailing weather conditions, you may not get a ticket at all. A GATSO camera must take a clear picture of your vehicle, twice. The first picture is taken as you enter the hatched area. The second picture is taken after a fixed period of time. Your progress across the hatched markings is a secondary confirmation of your speed as detected by the radar device.

If there is any doubt at all, the picture(s) may be useless. If there was moisture on the camera lens/outer lens the picture may be too blurry.

From the sounds of it, you were absolutely wrong and I agree with your post that you should accept the fine (€80) and 2 points.

Dangerous driving is not applicable in your case, unless you were going in reverse in a fireball or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

kearnsr wrote: »
    There is loads of 60kph signs up so how could you think it was a 100kmh zone? They go back as far as the N3 turn of with signs telling you your speed.

See next quote to cover this

Saruman wrote: »

Just passed the toll bridge south bound hidden at Lucan exit ish

maoleary wrote: »
    Dangerous driving is not applicable in your case, unless you were going in reverse in a fireball or something.

The dangerous driving thing worried me as i was at nearly twice the speed limit and 5+2 = 7 = Insurance problems = Bye bye to my new car before i get it and hello fiesta 1.0.:(

Thanks for your comments ill be more careful in future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Just at the end of the toll bridge at the Lucan exit - well hidden.
    It has to be said though that quite often you might get a flash but no photo...

Are you lads havin a laugh???
    Well hidden???
    If you can't see the camera and the road markings there you deserve to get done..
    Oh, and the 60kph signs from the blanch exit on and the big electronic signs telling you your speed approaching the toll bridge.
    It's 60kph for a number of reasons, two narrow lanes, road works, no hard shoulder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Sorry, but it's before the M4 exit, so it's three not-particularly narrow lanes at the point where the camera is. Hardly the worst point of the road where the roadworks are.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Here it is. The camera only monitors the two lanes on motorway, not the off ramp. I have watched this camera in action and it only flashes once. They are supposed to take two photos. I haven't heard of anybody being caught by this camera so you might be lucky

TollBridge.jpg

Thats why i have not seen it. I have not been on the toll bridge itself in years. I refuse to use it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

JCDUB wrote: »
    Are you lads havin a laugh???
    It's 60kph for a number of reasons, two narrow lanes, road works, no hard shoulder...

Its a revenue grabbing joke. If a regular Dublin street, single lane each way through residential area can be 80, then 60 on a straight 2 or 3 lane is having a laugh at the expense of the motorist.
    Temporary signs when roadworks are in operation for the benefit of the roadworkers, but 60 in middle of night with no traffic and no work - thats the real joke.
    And erecting misleading, wrong or poorly placed/badly lit signage/cones for roadworks should not be an excuse, rather the sign erecter/coners should be accountable just as every other user of the road. During N7 roadworks there were some pretty bad examples, Im surprised someone wasnt killed by unlit barrels/signs.:(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@wil - how many Dublin streets where people work are 80km/h? How many residential streets are 80km/h? Why?
    As pointed out here before, 60km/h is the EU norm along major roadworks.
    It got to the stage that the M50 workers were going to strike because they did not feel safe with some drivers doing (high) triple figure speeds!
    Just because the majority of construction work doesn't happen at night does not mean people aren't working there.
    As for the signage - can you identify any bad signage or cones along the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Lads, 60kmh is a fair limit for the M50 in it's current state. There are a lot of people working in close proximity to the road whose life is being put in danger by people speeding past as if no roadworks are going on. Also, the road layout changes everytime I use the road, the signage is very poor, the road surface is very bad, the road is simply not suitable for travelling at much more than 60kmh. I have no problem with the speed limit on stretches of road like this and no problem with speed cameras being used to enforce the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

60 kph is fair enough along the upgrade route. But that bit further down by the leopardstown exit southbound is stupid. Nothing happening and a reduction to 60 kph is ludicrous.

Anyway, as soon as the limit returns to 120 kph, all the w*nkers hog the fast lane at 80 kph and hold it up til their exit. Blood boiling rage soon ensues. And it ain't just me!!! :mad:

In the US they deal with this in another way. It depends on the state but I notice in Michigan for instance there are signs along the lines of "Hit a worker and go to jail" If i remember, in Illinois i saw signs about a 10k fine and jail time.
    However since enforcement of the law is much more likely in the US it might work better.

Advertisement