Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Telescope Recommendations

Options
  • 15-10-2007 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but this is the most relative one I could find.

I'm looking to buy a decent telescope for viewing planets,stars or any other space related matter that may be out there to see, I'm not too up on astrononmy at the moment but have an interest in the cosmos and want to get into it more and see things for myself as opposed to looking at pictures/videos on the net and televison.

I had one years ago but can't seem to find it in the attic, how much would I be looking at for a decent one that will allow me to see a fairly decent amount of stuff (I understand that stuff is a hard one to go by)

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

You may want to review previous posts;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055119710

Once you have an idea of what your budget and interest areas are, we can discuss the details.

Later,

Gray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I would always recommend starting with a really good pair of binoculars first with a stand.

If you get good pair they will often outstrip many of the entry level telecopes, and the satisfaction of seeing sights like the rings of saturn. Just don't raise your expectations too high , many people don't realise that you can't see galaxies in colour with the naked eye (no matter how good a scope).

Value for money a dobson is excellent which will give you a great taste beyond the moon with a chance to see planets and the blur of galaxies, whilst also need manual movement which can encourage familiarity with the sky.

Redman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

redman wrote: »
    I would always recommend starting with a really good pair of binoculars first with a stand.

If you get good pair they will often outstrip many of the entry level telecopes, and the satisfaction of seeing sights like the rings of saturn. Just don't raise your expectations too high , many people don't realise that you can't see galaxies in colour with the naked eye (no matter how good a scope).

Value for money a dobson is excellent which will give you a great taste beyond the moon with a chance to see planets and the blur of galaxies, whilst also need manual movement which can encourage familiarity with the sky.

Redman
    hi there
    what telescope would you recommend to view the planets and moon?
    and would you be able to see the rings of saturn, and planets moons?

also wheres a good place to buy one?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Thanks for the replies lads, I would have about €600 to spend on the telescope as for my interests I'd find looking at anything in space interesting planets, the moon rings of saturn, stars etc. anything really.

Advertisement