Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computing postgrads at UCC

• 15-10-2007 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am looking towards a research Masters at UCC. I am currently a 4th year computing(Software dev) student at IT Sligo.

Anyone here familiar with the Computer Science research departments at UCC?
    Anyone doing what I am seeking to do?

I'm just looking for advice basically. I'm not sure what exactly I want to specialize in. Would it be a good idea to contact a few of the staff there and meet with them?

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

KStaford wrote: »

Anyone here familiar with the Computer Science research departments at UCC?

yup. The best way to go forward is to contact some lecturers. Have a look at their contact pages to see what sort of research they do, then contact them to say that you're thinking of doing a research masters and ask them for information.
    There's a few groups doing research in different areas, check the departmental website for contacts.

If you've questions lash 'em up here and I'll see if I can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Thank u very much deRanged

Are you a current Masters Student? If so what are you doing ?

KStaford wrote: »
    Are you a current Masters Student?

nope, I'm writing up my Ph.D. In distributed computing, in the Centre for Unified Computing.

wow! fantastic.

I have spent the day looking at the UCC CS website and now have a pretty good understanding of the available postgrad courses.I spoke to Patricia O'Shaughnessy both by email and phone, she was so helpful.

The areas of research listed are . . .
    Artifical Intelligence
    Multimedia
    Secure, Reliable and Scalable Computing
    Distributed Computing
    Networking & Systems
    Foundations of Computing

I have an interest in Education and ICT in developing countries so I have filled in the online form here http://www.cs.ucc.ie/courses/questionnaire/index.php
    The area of multimedia and in particular the (IDEAS) programme seems to overlap with my interests so you never know. Either way I would look at all possible areas without prejudice.

Can you explain to me the following in a bit more detail, as the website gives nothing (literally) on these
    "Secure, Reliable and Scalable Computing" and "Foundations of Computing".

How did you get into UCC? How did you decide what area to research? What did you do prior to your PhD?

See - I am finding the whole area of specialization a little tricky / fuzzy.
    I have spent the last 3 years learning to program for windows and the web using the .Net framework. I am now in 4th year but trying to get myself sorted early - thus I need to decide what area of computing I want to specialize in. There is little or no guidance in this. I kinda feel alone. I need someone to say to me, "I feel you would be suited to this or that or whatever". I need guidance, advice or at least I think I do.

Hi,

I did my undergrad CS degree in UCC and went working for a couple of years. I worked as a programmer/systems administrator, on unix/windows, c and Java so I got a good look at the technologies in the workplace. I decided I wanted to try for a Ph.D in networking but when I contacted some of the lecturers and called down to UCC from Dublin to meet some of them I decided to work in the group I'm in now.
    You really need to talk to some of the lecturers to get an idea - as you can see the canned "what we do" description isn't all that useful.

I would suggest picking up the phone and ringing (basically cold calling) some lecturers who look like they have a research area you might be interested in.

I'm caught for time at the minute, but I should have more time Friday to help out with more questions.

Do you have a significant 4th year project to do - that's a great way to lead into a further degree or to create a decent portfolio for a potential supervisor. Remember that they're investing a lot of time in you too, so you need to present yourself well.

• Advertisement

Thanks deRanged, sound advice there.

I have researching various CS research departments in various colleges around the country and emailing lecturers as a way of introduction.
    I have had some very warm and positive replies and some not so (understandably).

I am narrowing my interests down to education - elearning and that whole area. Coupled with my interest of ICT in developing countries, I feel there is huge scope for some fascinating research / work here.

I have been in touch with Camara in Dublin and with a lecturer in TCD who have both expressed an interest in meeting me.

Apart from that, I realize that I am a bit early in looking for a place, I won’t be available to take it up until about this time next year but I figure there's no harm in doing a bit of investigation early. Overall, the past week has raised my optimism and even my expectations.

One problem is the way we learn computing in the countries IT’s. We spend 4 years in an IT learning Microsoft technologies, learning how to manipulate Microsoft entities to form solutions for business applications. We are not actually learning computing at all. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. There is more to computing. I want to delve deeper not just on the technical side but also on the psychological, social and political sides of this huge area we call “computing”.

Advertisement