Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

206th Merseyside Derby

• 15-10-2007 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

So this Saturday is the 206th Merseyside Derby. I'll be in the Park End cheering on the toffees :p

I reckon this could be another win for Everton, but it will be very close... Both teams in somewhat patchy form at the moment, but Everton seem to be coming out of it at the right time.

The Rafa-Rotators will be without Torres it seems for the game, which is surely a blow for them. Kuyt & Vironin will no doubt be a handful though...

So your thoughts and predictions for Saturday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Despite Liverpools poor form, i'm hoping that the international break came at the right time. Big game is needed from Gerrard, hopefully he'll show his worth. Would like to see Babel feature as well, give him a chance to show the Bitter Blues wat he's made off :D (in response to the rafa rotators, ha ha ha)

Gonna go with a Liverpool win (shock!:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is a fairly massive game for the reds. The poor performance from the first game back after the last break set the tone for the following month. We need to make damn sure this period gets off to flier. Liverpool need a big performance after that patch of mediocrity. A bit depends on Englands game in Russia IMO, as if Gerrard has yet another poor game, could we see Alonso return who's just about back from injury? Couldn't see Gerrard dropped, but i could see Alonso and Masch in center with Gerrard shunted out wide or as a SS or something.

Torres is a big blow. I wouldnt mind maybe trying Babel up front so we keep the pace, though it will probably be Babel left, with Kuyt and Voronin. Kuyt has to play as all across his career he's usually put in big performances in big rivalry games.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I suspect Liverpool will win this one unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

isnt Kuyt also a doubt due to hamstring problems? Crouch and Voronin to start prehaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

i could easily see a tight 0-0...

no doubt it'll be a free and open 5-3 now that i've said that, though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Im going to predict a safe 2-2 draw, with 1 or 2 sendings off. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

So this Saturday is the 206th Merseyside Derby. I'll be in the Park End cheering on the toffees :p

I reckon this could be another win for Everton, but it will be very close... Both teams in somewhat patchy form at the moment, but Everton seem to be coming out of it at the right time.

The Rafa-Rotators will be without Torres it seems for the game, which is surely a blow for them. Kuyt & Vironin will no doubt be a handful though...

So your thoughts and predictions for Saturday?
    Dont rule Torres out of this yet!!
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2802624,00.html

He wants to play more than anything!The scan showed it wasnt as bad as first thought!Plus he will of had 2 weeks off playing so im going go with a 3-0 win for the pool!!TORRES HATRICK!!Oh i can dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

For once I think this is a bigger game for Liverpool than for Everton. A loss for Everton would be disappointing but wouldn't affect their season too much. A loss for Liverpool would severely dent confidence and put us a little too far out of reach of Arsenal and hand Utd a large advantage if they win aswell.

It'll be interesting to see what kinda team Rafa picks... prolly have Sissoko back in midfield which probably makes sense. He's much more suited to these types of games than the last few he's been involved in. Torres talking like he's working to be fit for the game, whether Rafa would risk him so soon after an injury is another issue but hopefully he'll make the bench at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gona be an interesting game. Huge game for Liverpool, Everton can win or lose with little difference really.

I think Liverpool will win this, but hoping otherwise. Drop points here will end any talk of a title run imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll wager Gerrard gets a red card! These games are so hard to read ahead of the moment. Proberly 1 goal in it. Won't guess which way.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

We don't really know till we see the Liverpool team. If he picks his strongest side and they play anywhere near their best then I can't see anything but a Liverpool win.

On the otherhand if Benitez continues being a stubborn fool resting for the Champions League/FA cup finals in May then Everton will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Reckon Liverpool will take this one alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Torres is back at Liverpool now doing intensive training so hopefully he will be fit. I hope Alonso will be fit, he's targeting the derby for his return.
    Obviously enough, I'll be going for Liverpool to win. I think Everton havent made a very good start to the season and Andy Johnson has only got a single goal. If Torres is fit, I think he and Babel will be the only two new signings on show. Possibly Voronin in Torres' place if he is unfit. Riise will start left imho, he's played this games before, Finnan also looks likely to start. Pennant right, Babel left. Kuyt and Torres (Voronin) up front, Voronin is a tough nut too, so maybe he will shine in such a physically demanding game. Looking forward to it, pity its the early kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

PHB wrote: »
    Gona be an interesting game. Huge game for Liverpool, Everton can win or lose with little difference really.

It's just as important for Everton as well... We have to win this to push ourselves back into the top 6 area...

It's just as important for Everton as well... We have to win this to push ourselves back into the top 6 area...

Yeah but Liverpool need it to show everyone else that they are actually contenders for the league :) So, get back in your box! :eek: :D

Yeah but Liverpool need it to show everyone else that they are actually contenders for the league :) So, get back in your box! :eek: :D

That doesn't make Everton's need for the points any less valid.... That was the point I was trying to get across.

Sure we might as well not play the game and just give Liverpool the 3 points as their need seems so much greater than ours :rolleyes:

That doesn't make Everton's need for the points any less valid.... That was the point I was trying to get across.

Sure we might as well not play the game and just give Liverpool the 3 points as their need seems so much greater than ours :rolleyes:

That would work for me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

That would work for me:D

Yeah - if only the rest of the teams could be as hospitable

ha ha ha, the game is big for both teams, but PHB, chill out a little, the title won't be won or lost over the result-its Oct ffs......everything always has to be so dramatic :eek:

Liverpool know that this is a very big game. Title challenging teams bounce back. Liverpool have had a poor run, and need to get back on track. It's a huge game for them.

Everton, it's just another game against a top 4 club. If they get a draw they'll be happy.

• Advertisement

I agree its a big game, but it is not a game that will decide if Liverpool can win the title or not, as i said.... its Oct mate..... its no more title deciding than utds next match is for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I think this has a draw written all over it. 0-0 or 1-1 I reckon.

These early kick off's are a nightmare !

PHB wrote: »
    Everton, it's just another game against a top 4 club. If they get a draw they'll be happy.

:rolleyes:

Everton and Arsenal are two massive ties for Liverpool. Taking 6 points will be a massive boost. Taking 0 points will be devastating. I will go with a tally of 4 points but neither 0 or 6 points would overly surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

im gonna go with my hopes here and pray for a 3-2 win to everton, last minute winner obviously. :p

i do think PHB has a point to be honest, liverpool are on a poor run now, and i know its october, but if they fall much further off the pace i think you can forget about title talk tbh. the difference between the championship winning teams and liverpool seems to be that it takes liverpool longer to recover after a slip up, you cant afford it if you want to win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Can see a 2-1 victory for Liverpool unfortunately! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

win for the toffees, arteta....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Torres being out is a massive blow. Kuyt, Crouch & Veronin are all good players but none of them are dangerous enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Unearthly wrote: »
    If he picks his strongest side

He isn't known for that though ...
    Can't see anything but a Pool win here but a draw would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Everton and Arsenal are two massive ties for Liverpool. Taking 6 points will be a massive boost. Taking 0 points will be devastating. I will go with a tally of 4 points but neither 0 or 6 points would overly surprise me.

One would think taking 3 points from those two games would be a good thing ?

I failed at the multi-quoting . zzz

Beer is the problem , rly it is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

win for the toffees, arteta....;)

[TheDude] Yeah, well thats just, like, your opinion, man. [/TheDude]

d22ontour wrote: »
    One would think taking 3 points from those two games would be a good thing ?

I failed at the multi-quoting . zzz

Beer is the problem , rly it is .

4 points minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

d22ontour wrote: »
    He isn't known for that though ...
    Can't see anything but a Pool win here but a draw would be nice.

That's why I said "if":confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Good to see Cahill back for Everton too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can't believe the odds on this...

Everton at 3/1
    Liverpool at 6/5
    Draw at 9/4

Get Everton while they're hot...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bah jamie is still on tv :(

kdjac

Good opening for Liverpool.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

classic OG there,1 nil everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sweet volley by Hyypia :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Worst performance I've seen from Clattenberg, The reds robbed Everton today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

That was a stone wall peno for Everton in stoppage time, terrible descison not to give it.

We were very lucky but im absolutely delighted! one point off utd and 3 off Arsenal...where are all the people saying the title challenge is over now ? Will do wonders for our confidence. W4 D1 away is a pretty good record as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

My God, Jamie Redknapp talks some awful crap! Peter Reid looks fit to smack him!

I hate derby games.
    Peter Reid looks fit to smack him!

Ex Toffee ready to hit ex Red shocker!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

My God, Jamie Redknapp talks some awful crap! Peter Reid looks fit to smack him!

Was thinking the same :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Can't believe the odds on this...

Everton at 3/1
    Liverpool at 6/5
    Draw at 9/4

Get Everton while they're hot...

Thats why they were so long

Go on the pool

lol, what a shocking ref, he's gotta be relegated for a while for that performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Only after seeing the decision where he sends Hibbert off after consulting with....Steven Gerrard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Aye that yellow card.. oh wait stevie says its a red was just comical :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

stevie g had a great performance today as 4th official.that was a shocker of a game from the ref think he will be n the championship next week

• Advertisement
Advertisement