Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of changing - Recommendations?

Options
  • 15-10-2007 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

After a few issues lately, I'm thinking maybe it's time to consider changing the car in the new year.

I currently have a 2002 1.9 TDI (130BHp) Auto VW Passat Comfortline model, and I do a fair bit of mileage (mostly on R/N/M roads) with work,
    so as I'd see it, the requirements of a new one would be:

- Automatic: I like my auto boxes, plus I haven't driven a manual in years!
    - Diesel: I've done about 24k miles in the past year so a petrol would cost me a fortune.
    - Decent Size: The Passat is very comfortable I think, and the boot and rear leg room is huge which is something that comes in handy as I'd often have it full of equipment from work. I don't really want anything (much) smaller.
    - Reliable: Truth be told, I'm a bit concerned over the amount of money she's cost me in the past year alone (hence why I'm thinking of changing it now before she gets older/more problems develop). I also know that the VW brand name isn't what it once was.

Other features that "would be nice", or I've already gotten used to them in the Passat:
    - Electric everything: A given in this class I'd assume.
    - Climate Control: Would be lost without it!
    - Cruise Control: I know, with an auto box it's the ultimate in lazy driving but it'd be nice on the M1 I think. Don't have it at the moment.
    - Steering Wheel Controls: I do like my music :)
    - CD Changer (ideally in dash): Added one of these to the Passat. Love it!

I've already had a look on Carzone in the past while - more out of curiosity really - and my initial 3 choices would be a 04/05 era (new shape) Audi A4 or A6, or maybe a BMW 320D.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Avensis;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well ill throw my view into the ring, the new mondeo. The 2.0tdci Zetec mondeo is 35k and has:

Climate Control
    Cruise Control
    AutoBox
    Mp3 compatibilty Cd player
    Steering Wheel Controls
    Traction Control+ABS

It also quite large and has more leg room and a larger boot than the Passat. The 2.0 diesel engine is much better than the old 1.9tdi you are used to. Fords are considered quite reliable and the Mondeo is the best handling car in its class (much like the Focus). Obviously it wont hold its value anywhere near the way a 3-series will. If your planning on keeping it for a good while that mightn't be so much of an issue.
    Yea I know the Ford's have come on a lot in the past few years.. what about something like this one. Seems like a very good price/spec? :
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=798480

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

As good as the old Mondeo is .......... residuals will be in free fall now with an all-new model on the market. The new one is a leap forward so best to buy a new one or nearly new (in 2008).

With auto diesels you are somewhat restricted on choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

Been looking at a mondeo myself for the last few weeks and was really interested in a diesel model but someone said to me not to bother unless you're doing about 20,000 miles per year. Is this true ?

Only do about 12-15 amd there does seem to a better selection of 2nd hand models in the petrol zetec. 05 models seem very reasonable circa 15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Auto Diesels are a rare breed in this country ..my Dad has a Hyundai Santa Fe like this and its a very nice drive with all the extras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

used Honda Accord? Skoda Superb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'll second the Skoda Superb. Although it's essentially the same motor as a Passat it should be cheaper, it's larger and will probably be better specced. If you are bringing one in from the UK there should be plenty of choice.

Maybe hold off until November and they announce what they are doing with Road tax. If it goes CO2 based then it may be reasonable to bring in a 2.5Tdi V6 version. We have one on fleet and the driver absolutley loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

pity it has to be auto, but the new mazda 6 would suit. it will be available in auto but not in the first batch on our shores

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Seconding the Mondeo. They cost nearly nothing to run, have lots of room and are very comfortable. Plus, the new model is going to have everything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Yea I know the Ford's have come on a lot in the past few years.. what about something like this one. Seems like a very good price/spec? :

Thats the older shape, 2000 - 2007. I have a 2.0TDCi 115bhp. On a long trip, Mullingar to Cahir, via some back roads and towns, I got 48mpg, Probably would have gotten better had I not need to got throught he towns at rush hour. You would need to go for the Zetec at least. The 2006 models were loaded with allsorts,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Nice car, but imo its overpriced - you should be getting a car a year newer at these prices. Also, that particular example looks like it has 18" wheels, which will make for a rougher ride.
    The other thing to note is the limited market for diesels with an autobox, so you could be in for a shock come trade-in time again.

Not trying to run down these cars (I drive a tdci myself, and think its great), but I just think you should shop around a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gyppo wrote: »
    The other thing to note is the limited market for diesels with an autobox, so you could be in for a shock come trade-in time again.

.... a pleasant shock, that is. Because so few are sold new, demand for used ones is good. No longer do you have to buy at a premium and sell at a discount for auto's..........thank god.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

id be looking for a 320ti beemer or a the skoda... id rather drive a lada then a mondeo... worst chassis ever made :(

though if you need a family car id get a Toyota soarer/chaser or Nissan Maxima.... for that price i think you cant go wrong. :rolleyes:

but still there around 10-15.... alot of money left over for a toy car to drive on the weekends ?? :)

S.I.R wrote: »
    id rather drive a lada then a mondeo... worst chassis ever made :(

This is a joke, is'nt it??

galwaytt wrote: »
    .... a pleasant shock, that is. Because so few are sold new, demand for used ones is good. No longer do you have to buy at a premium and sell at a discount for auto's..........thank god.

Do you not think you're contradicting yourself there bit? - If the demand for them isnt there when they're new, how come theres a good demand when they're used??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I know, I've really only a limited set of choices with the requirements I've given but if I can't stretch to a new/current shape A4 or maybe even an A6, the 320D does look good (must admit, I would like an Audi next though).

I don't really want to go the Superb route - as someone noted it's basically the same as what I have now, and if I'm going to change, I'd rather get something different, younger and ideally "better".

My current one is a UK import, and I know that generally this means a better spec for less money, but someone told me I should be wary of these because aside from the possibility of clocking, there's damage from all the recent flooding over there to consider - true or not? And then there's the insurance angle where several companies won't insure an import (FBD being one).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

A bit odd ball but how about a Volvo S80 d5 Auto.

Massive spec on them for the money.

What budget have you set?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

I'd highly recommend the new shape A6 - I have one myself and it eats up the miles and is very comfortable and has plenty of toys. Unfortunately I'm being forced to sell mine now due to a house move :(

Unfortunatley it doesnt have the auto box you want or I would be trying to make a sale to you!!

If you go for an Audi make sure its the 2.0 TDI and not the 1.9. Another option is a Volvo S60 - they can be picked up for relatively cheap money in the UK with good spec...

Advertisement