Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you want from the North West

Options
  • 15-10-2007 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Simple Question, what do you want from the North West forum of Boards.ie

Why do you come here and look and participate.

Personally I like to see what is happening in the area I grew up in, drank and live in so that really does cover the whole of the north west. I was raised in leitrim, it will always be a place that I can call home and I was educated in Letterkenny RTC many many moons ago.

There is also a connection with sligo for family and friends, and the numerous pubs to say the least.

So what do I want from the North West, a key to my home and friends.

over to you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

nanook wrote: »
    Simple Question, what do you want from the North West forum of Boards.ie

Why do you come here and look and participate.

Personally I like to see what is happening in the area I grew up in, drank and live in so that really does cover the whole of the north west. I was raised in leitrim, it will always be a place that I can call home and I was educated in Letterkenny RTC many many moons ago.

There is also a connection with sligo for family and friends, and the numerous pubs to say the least.

So what do I want from the North West, a key to my home and friends.

over to you

My goodness, a thread started by nanook', what else can I say except it is a very welcome :)

As for " what do I want from the Noth-West forum" all I want is to express my opinion freely without the constant threat of being banned, despite some of my previous threads this is my home and feel I am entitled to be critical or complimentary in relation to life issue's in the N.W..

However, I think people are afraid to start new threads because the subject may have been raised before, then when a mod points this out in a inappropriate manner, the member will not start another thread.

A little less banning combined with a bit more tolerance is needed, as I believe we have a great group of members which could make the North-West forum the best on Boards.ie.;)

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Same situation. Born and Bred in Sligo. Went to LK to the IT. Worked in Leitrim.

I come here to talk about issues concerning us in the North West.

Mainly because these days I feel we've been isolated to an extent by ppl in the east Dublin (and Greater Dublin).
    (Easy Paddy! Just count to ten!).
    I know they have "critical mass" in terms of population and therefore have priority when it comes to Transport & Roads but that excuse won't last forever!

It's good to have a forum specific to our area.

I would prefer to see more industry come to the North West.
    There is an awful lot in Galway and i'd like to see some more business come to Sligo & Letterkenny.

Just my two cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Paddy20 wrote: »
    However, I think people are afraid to start new threads because the subject may have been raised before, then when a mod points this out in a inappropriate manner, the member will not start another thread.

The same could be said for any forum on Boards.
    I've often referenced something I might have seen on the web (like a news article) and got the whole ":rolleyes: been done before ..." or "old news"..
    You gotta have thick skin to post on this site!:D

[QUOTE=Gillie;54207841

You gotta have thick skin to post on this site!:D[/QUOTE]

You have expressed it better than me ;).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well when I was working in Dublin during the summer, I discovered the north west forum. Being from Sligo it was a very useful forum to find out everything that is happening back home and to discuss issues affecting Sligo. Even though I'm back in Sligo now I still use the forum a lot to discuss issues affecting Sligo and the north west. It's a great forum and has been very useful. Keep up the good work lads, posters and mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

the first thing i have to say is that, any post in NW always gets a good response, and although i have started only a couple of threads (on my old username) i'd never not post something in case i got a bad response, i hope everyone feels the same.

I was born in Sligo, lived in Ballyshannon till i was 5 then moved to Letterkenny, i moved away for college and work, but have been full-time back in Letterkenny for the last 4 years.

i would like to see more threads and maybe a 'posting for the sake of posting' mentality should be taken by regular visitors. As we've seen, one post can lead to another new thread and so on.

And yes, i will start some topics asap.

Senna wrote: »

i would like to see more threads and maybe a 'posting for the sake of posting' mentality should be taken by regular visitors. As we've seen, one post can lead to another new thread and so on.

And yes, i will start some topics asap.

Good point Senna, I just hope the mods are taking note :), after all they remind me of 'Morecambe & Wise' and that will only be understood by posters of 'a certain age' which I am not sure they are old enough to understand, a bit of lighthearted comment never hurt anyone, but let's hope :).

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A damn good thread nanook and hopefully it gets the responses it deserves.

Just to clarify for others this thread is about the forum itself and not the physical North West.

I posted somewhere recently that the NW forum had taken a bit of a dip with the breakup into the individual county fora which resulted with people huddling together in their respective forum. While most people welcomed this breakup it did nothing for the original North West forum itself. I think you only need to look at the different threads to see how parochial they have become and we cant blame the regular users for that as we are nearly all more comfortable with posting in our own county forum.

But yes we do need threads started about topics that share a common interest to people/users from all counties here.

On the modding front well sadly Paddy20 once again is the only one who feels he is a "victim". I think nanook and myself do a good job here. There are times that some of the moderation may seem a bit tough but you can be assured there is a reason for it and that was quite aptly shown in the Sligo forum only a few days ago. Despite what people may think we cant just have a free for all which can happen at times. We have also allowed a lot of comments stay put so to speak so all in all Im happy with my own performance and nanooks and I trust he is happy with me.

I know we have a couple of mods of other fora who post here and they will know what I mean when I say I would love to able to show you the number of threads that were deleted before any of you ever seen them, the number of posts that were deleted or edited before some of you were out of bed, the amount of sh*te PMs I have in my inbox containing all types of language and threats at times, the amount of interaction between nanook and myself and at times with other mods and smods. The pages that we see are completely different to what the ordinary user sees. Sometimes it looks like the radar screen at an airport traffic control centre.

Just bear in mind that nanook and myself are only human and genuinely do our best for both the north west fora and boards.ie as a whole.

With that said lets all try to be a wee bit more active on the main North West forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

well put muffler. I think Paddy20 just like to keep you on you toe's, do you have an alarm in you house that activates everytime he signs on?:D

I think the forum has benefited more by the sub-forums, and this will undoubtedly have a negative affect on NW forum, it's probably a testament to how good the new system has worked. There are few topics that will be specific to NW more than just one county.
    Is this not true of all the regional forums? more use of the sub-forums and than the main one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Senna wrote: »
    well put muffler. I think Paddy20 just like to keep you on you toe's, do you have an alarm in you house that activates everytime he signs on?:D

paddy keeping us on his toes, naaahhhhhh, that is not true.

:):)

some day I will right a book and i will share with you all the shyte we go through here, Paddy is a breath of fresh air compared to the shyte that goes on behind the scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I just want to see what's happening in and around the county that I was born in, lived in, went to school in, collage in, worked in and still visit every year during my hols. I sometimes (well quite often) find myself getting more news here and more relevant news here than I do with local online papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote: »
    I think nanook and myself do a good job here.
    :D I'll get you both medals. :D

On topic, I just like having somewhere to post about issues in the North West, no matter how trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

deman wrote: »
    I just want to see what's happening in and around the county that I was born in, lived in, went to school in, collage in, worked in and still visit every year during my hols. I sometimes (well quite often) find myself getting more news here and more relevant news here than I do with local online papers.

and there the true answer lies,

Advertisement