Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legend.

Options
  • 15-10-2007 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

In my work i drive around Dublin, been doing it for years. In all that time I seem to constantly see this guy cycling around Dublin,not just the city center but everwhere in Dublin, from terenure to swords. The thing is that he is disabled in some way, not exactly sure to what extent. He rides a 3 wheeler and wears an orange motor cycle helmet (which btw is too big for him,that alone could kill him if he ever had an accident) travels at about 3 miles an hour, but yet I've seen in the morning and late at night,always it seems with a smile. I admire the guys get up and go greatly,he's a legend.Yet I know nothing about him, I'm intruiged, who is he?where's he going,where does he come from.I know every one's entitled to their privacy so really don't expect any answers to those questions, I just wanted to mention the fact that I admire him,wondered if anyone else has noticed him around the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

I have to agree with you, I've seen him numerous times over the years. Makes me think how lucky I am sometimes... but he is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

My Dad absolutely hates him, anytime he notices him he just stares at him and calls him an ignorant bollix :eek: - mainly because when on the road he refuses to cycle beside the path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I see him coming from Fairview up the Malahide Rd around 8:30am every morning.

Never realised he went from Terenure to Swords, that's quite a trek even if a fit and able person.

He seems to be disabled in some way. I hope he is getting the help from the state that he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That reminds me of a couple of others.

There used to be an elderly man on the R132 - R127 route daily. I'm not talking about an ordinary old man on a bike. This chap wore old sports gear and a helmet and looked like he was cycling for exercise but he always looked like he was miserable and in pain. I used to see him around mid morning somewhere in the Swords, Blakes Cross, Lusk area pedalling very slowly and doggedly.

I haven't seen him in about a year though!

When Dublin are doing well in the championship, I see another man on a tricycle or a bike and trailer in Dublin liverly and a barrel and loads of Dublin flags, bunting etc. (I don't think he's playing with a full deck).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Saw him today, on th opposite side of the road to Drumcondra train station. Fair play to him but i wouldn't call him a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Alsatian_Cousin

His name is Arthur. He's from Ballybough. My dad knew him when he was younger. He injured himself as a kid and has been disabled since. He cycles his bike all over the world too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I always see him,last year for a while he had a sign on the back of his bike.It was something about stop him if you can help get his book published.He does not have the sign anymore I wounder if he got help or just gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

raheny red wrote: »
    My Dad absolutely hates him, anytime he notices him he just stares at him and calls him an ignorant bollix :eek: - mainly because when on the road he refuses to cycle beside the path.

He can be a bit narky all right... seen him been obnoxious to pedestrians the odd time when he breaks traffic lights. I suppose though he has issues due to his condition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

last time i saw him he was cycling itno jervis shopping center.

it was hilarious.

everyone was really pissed off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i seen him IN the jervis street centre...

but yeah, legend status is unjustified!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I did the Dublin Marathon last year.. and yep, there he was cycling along as part of the competition. Fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

His name is Arthur. He's from Ballybough. My dad knew him when he was younger. He injured himself as a kid and has been disabled since. He cycles his bike all over the world too

I reckon your dad probably knows my dad then.

I came in here to pretty much post that word for word.

My dad is from Clonliffe Avenue. What about yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Why should this guy be respected? He cycles a God damn bike, so what?

A legend? How about, no. I would never be intrigued by someone like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think he has written a book, so my dad says anyway :confused:

But yeah, he's hardly a 'legend'.

More like a recogniseable character.

Here is a thread about other characters of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Alsatian_Cousin

DesF wrote: »
    I reckon your dad probably knows my dad then.

I came in here to pretty much post that word for word.

My dad is from Clonliffe Avenue. What about yours?

Tolka road, yeah sounds like they know each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Why do posters find the word 'legend' unjustified. Ok, I don't know the guy from adam, but does the fact that he is disabled in some way not warrent some recognition in that he cycles all day everyday, even if he is a grouch.
    Also have to say that it says a lot about the society we live in that someone can 'hate' a guy on a trike with a disability because he get's in the way, a bit overboard don't ya think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

dubtom wrote: »
    Also have to say that it says a lot about the society we live in that someone can 'hate' a guy on a trike with a disability because he get's in the way, a bit overboard don't ya think

Nah, not really - he thinks he owns the road! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Táck wrote: »
    i seen him IN the jervis street centre...

but yeah, legend status is unjustified!

I'll go one better and say that I've seen him in Tesco several times where the staff seem to have great time for him. They are always very friendly to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i overtook him on george street the other day, 45 minutes later, he overtook me on the pits that is ranelagh road. it actually made me chuckle when he just cruised by:p

Advertisement