Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 35 Work in Canada programme

Options
  • 15-10-2007 6:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

So i have a place on this programme. I was on the waiting list and was only offered a place a few weeks ago. I've since sent the application off but i'm still waiting on a police certificate. I've been told it could take up to six weeks to get one.

My problem is, you have to provide a police cert for any country you've lived in for over 6 months. I lived in England as a child, from about 2-11 years old. Now, they don't know this and there's no way they could find out afaik and i've never been in trouble with the police in any way.

Surely i don't have to go about getting a cert for such a young age? I wouldn't know where to start and god knows how long it would take!!

It's already October and i have to leave by the end of December. I'm afraid that this could take so long that i'll miss the deadline, whenever that is! All these forms still have to be sent to the Canadian High Commission in London and approved before you can even book flights etc. I'm getting quite nervous as to how long it's taken.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't think is really relevant to Travel/Holidays - sending it to Abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Jestershire

So i have a place on this programme. I was on the waiting list and was only offered a place a few weeks ago. I've since sent the application off but i'm still waiting on a police certificate. I've been told it could take up to six weeks to get one.

My problem is, you have to provide a police cert for any country you've lived in for over 6 months. I lived in England as a child, from about 2-11 years old. Now, they don't know this and there's no way they could find out afaik and i've never been in trouble with the police in any way.

Surely i don't have to go about getting a cert for such a young age? I wouldn't know where to start and god knows how long it would take!!

It's already October and i have to leave by the end of December. I'm afraid that this could take so long that i'll miss the deadline, whenever that is! All these forms still have to be sent to the Canadian High Commission in London and approved before you can even book flights etc. I'm getting quite nervous as to how long it's taken.

Any advice?
    I'm also in this programme, I leave next wednesday.

I'm fairly certain you should have sent in your police cert with your printed application forms, not seperately. Essentially, they recieve the forms in the USIT office, check them, and assuming all is in order, send them to the CHC in London. I have a feeling they won't process the documents until they receive your cert. As the certs go, I got mine in roughly 4 weeks. You can ring the chief superintendants office in blanchardstown to inquire whether or not they've received it yet (it goes from the vetting office in Co. tip to his office in blanch). I'm really not sure how you'd go about getting a cert for the time you spent living in England. It might even be worth giving USIT a bell to ask them if it's even necessary.

All i'd say is, don't worry. I was panicking up until 2-3 weeks ago when I got the go-ahead. You can fly out anytime before December 31st, so you should be fine timewise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I asked them if i should just send what i have and send the police cert when i get it, they said this was fine.

How long was it from the time you sent off the documents to the time you were approved by the CHC?

Like you said, i can leave anytime up to 31st Dec... So i need all this done at least by mid Dec. I just don't have a lot of faith in the Gards. It took 3 attempts to even get the application for the police cert processed. If it had have been done properly from the start i would have it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Jestershire

You should be fine then as soon as you get your cert. If i were you personally, I wouldn't worry about getting a cert for your time spent in England. As you said, you had no issues with the police, and if you did, you'd have been a minor at the time anyway.

I sent my full application into USIT on about the 21st of September. They received it on the 24th, and by the 15th of October I was fully approved and free to book flights. The flights and insurance combined will set you back about €1100, incidently.

I know what you mean about the garda though, it took me 3 visits to the same station for them to understand what I was actually talking about. As I said, give the office of the superintendant in blanch a ring, the number is in the book. they'll let you know if they've received it. Should only take 4 weeks from the time you filled in the form for them to post the cert to you.

Advertisement