Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router question

Options
  • 15-10-2007 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I've got an eircom wireless router with two ethernet cables supplying two machines.

Is it possible for me to split one of these connections into two or three ,to save me running another cable from the router itself.

It's a run of about 70 feet ,so it's a bit of a pain to run another.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Yeah you can do that with a cheap 4 or 8 port switch like this, just plug the long cable from the router into it and run shorter cables out to the pc's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

excellent ,thanks nilhg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

get a 4 port gigabit switch which will auto crossover ( eg plug and play) for out there

I'm fairly stupid with this stuff ,so I probably should say what I'll be doing with it.

Basically a pc would be running from it ,occasionally updating itself etc ,while it's on.
    I'd also have a ps3 running from it and occasionally have a game running.

So i guess I need something that won't drop my connection on the PS3 when gaming ,while the pc is updating itself etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Yeah you can do that with a cheap 4 or 8 port switch like this, just plug the long cable from the router into it and run shorter cables out to the pc's.

I got the above one ordered at komplett for €19 ,along with other stuff I needed. It's already shipped :)

Thanks again.

Advertisement