Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out - cleaning

Options
  • 15-10-2007 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Hi moving out (sold my home) and just wondering how clean i should leave the place. Obviously i will leave the place clean and tidy, but what i am trying to say is how clean. Like should i scrub the place floor to ceiling? I have dusted etc, will hoover and wash floors all that kind of stuff. But should i go over the place with a fine tooth comb, do windows the whole works? Just worried cause i have not left an awful lot of time, so am thinking i might have to get someone in. And dont get me wrong, the place is not manky or anything, its normal lived in condition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

No what you've described sounds fair enough. I wouldn't expect anyone to hire professional cleaners when leaving a house.

Most people will give it a good cleaning once they are in there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is little obligation to clean. I would leave it swept / vacuumed with no rubbish present. Do not decorate, its a waste of money and may put off some buyers who are wondering what is being hidden by the new paint.

The new occupier is likely to redecorate and have all sorts of packaging that will make a mess anyway.

Depending on your feelings of charity and what you expect the new occupier might like, leave them a bottle of wine and two glasses.

If you were still trying to sell it, of course you would do your damndest - in a falling market, your house has to stand out. Years ago, people were quite willing to spend time doing lots of alterations and decoration. That changed when availability dropped and people wanted places that were available for immediate occupation. That may change again.

If you were renting the expectation would be that everything would be clean and tidy, with the only expectation to redecorate if there was excessive wear and tear. I would expect the landlord to be redecorating after 3-5 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You just have to make sure that you hoover the carpets etc, clean the kitchen (inside presses etc) and the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I'd make sure it was all hoovered, no rubbish and Id make sure the kitchen and bathroom was scrubbed (bath sick toilet etc), inside presses, any oil around oven vent, kitchen floors, cooker etc. I wouldnt bother cleaning walls etc as they'd prob paint it and a dusting should do the other rooms.

I prob wouldnt bother cleaning windows unless I had an hour to spare maybe just dust the window sills.

Its nice to leave it in a clean condition - I'd do the same if I was leaving rented accomodation.

Leave a nice scent in it also - maybe light some scented candles before you leave ( Yankee candles are nice - dont burn the house down though put them out when you are actually leaving ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks for the replies. Have everything boxed up, just need to move it and then i will give it the once over again, like hoovering and dusting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement