Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rows of concrete blocks left outside garden walls.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

first of all, and to answer the OP's question - report it to council - both the planning office, the roads dept - and the safety officer.

That space is not legally allowed to be 'fenced' off in any manner - this is a condition on the planning permission. It doesn't make any difference if you 'own it or not' - the space is required to be left vacant.

If you do have to take evasive action, you are perfectly entitled to use the space, and if you suffer damage, etc, then you should sue the ass off the owner's..............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of curiosity:
    1. have you seen the planning decision or what makes you confident that it mustn't be 'fenced off'?
    2. is it fenced off or decorated?
    3. what law requires it to be left vacant?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ooh, that's an easy one, built my first house and moved in in 1997, and just did it again in 2007. The condition attached to the planning permission states (off my head, btw.........), that a space 3m x 10m be provided adjoining the public road.......in the interests of traffic management..etc etc.

By fencing it off, you are not making the space available to traffic. By not making it available, you are in breach of your planning permission. In fact, if you were selling your house, and the blocks were there, you couldn't sell it either - the engineer couldn't legally give you a cert of compliance with planning permission.

That's without even looking at the fact that the objects used to 'fence' the space are not CE approved...........it's just a court case waiting to happen.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't care about planning. The owner of that place should get their gaffe dynamited..those yokes are fatalities waiting to happen. Too F8ckin mean to even buy a couple of reflective strips to put on those bloody rocks. There isn't even a clear defined boundery between the anti-tank fortifications and the road !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I seen some good examples today
    blocks.jpg
    blocks2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If you have a problem with them, just call the council and inform them. They'll give the owner a period of time to remove them and if not they'll remove them for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Maybe its to stop Pikeys parking outside their house! :D Seriously though these are dangerous and need to be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

astraboy wrote: »
    Seriously though these are dangerous and need to be reported.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Jeez, you go to the trouble of building a castle, complete with turrets and towers, and then you go an ruin it with those yokes.

Altho 2 houses in the area with the same things.. someone has a little local industry making them.
    bandit197 wrote: »
    blocks2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Some property owners may be misinterpreting the requirement to fill the space with solid material to meaning fill it with solid rocks:D.

More seriously though, property owners with grass verges adjoining the roads may (I'm not totally sure) have an obligation from the council to maintain them, which could be difficult if they are contantly ploughed up by traffic and this may be the motivation for people to put out these obstructions - but maybe they should have a hard surface there instead.

Maybe loosly related, or maybe slightly off topic, but I find it irritating where property owners put a pair of white lights on their gate posts at the side of dark unlit roads - they are so easily confused with oncoming headlights and have nearly lead me astray on a number of occassions - if people really think they need to light up their gate posts so that they can find them, then they should be legally required to use amber lights or some other colour that cannot cause confusion to motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This subject has just been raised by an e-mailer on Moncrieffs Newstalk show.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Any object that could cause serious damage or injury should not be left at the side of the road unless there's a need for it being there ( ESB posts, traffic signs, crash barriers at schools, etc etc ). Someone constructing his/her own little anti-tank barrier should be disallowed. If you feel you need to cordon off your little patch of grass at the roadside there's proper stuff there to use as in the little plastic posts on a rubber bushing that'll give way in a collision. You could even use short lenghts of narrow diameter wavin pipe and stick them in the ground. In short, anything made of a relatively "soft" material that will easily give way or break in case of a collision or emergency.

+1

There shouldn't be a problem cordoning off your own land to stop people parking or using it as part of the road surface, but the barrier should be collapsable and well marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

Im not sure if this is the right place for this thread but it is relevant. What is the story with people closing off the area between their garden walls and the edge of the road with concrete blocks. Sometimes they even have chains linking them up. I presume this is to put off people parking there but I think this action is very selfish. In an emergency you cannot swerve in this area to avoid a hazard. The issue is more severe for bikers who would almost certainly come off if they hit them. Does anyone know the laws regarding this. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe this area is council property, as it is set out as a condition in a granted planning permission application, to keep the garden walls of new houses back a certain distance from the road. Also, if I have to swerve in an emergency and I damage my car on these blocks, who is liable?
    I have no idea what you're talking about, and I can't even picture it - pics??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Snake Nose wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're talking about, and I can't even picture it - pics??

Sigh :rolleyes:
    Look at the pics in Post 36 on page two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

micmclo wrote: »
    Sigh :rolleyes:
    Look at the pics in Post 36 on page two
    Ah okay - my apologies. No wonder I've never seen it - it seems to be exclusive to the countryside. I presume it's so people don't crash into their wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Just use delineators that bend easily but are also likely to leave nice scratches in paintwork. Discourages casual use of your grass verge by cars/trucks but would not cause injury in the event of an accident.

1121881671.47483675.php99frRk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Your car should stay on the road. Period.

If you have to 'swerve', you're liable for causing damage to anything you impact with.

End of story.

You are a complete and utter $%^&$%&%$&$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

when i moved into my current house i had some drainage work to finish..on the roadside we discovered the remains of a stone wall that had been covered with earth to form a small ditch...

i rang the local council and they knew nothing about it:confused: there was no evidence of it on plans..
    nobody even came to view it:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    unfortunately the machine driver clipped it and demolished it;);)

as a home owner i was'nt going to be responsible for obstructing the roadside.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got another pic 2day on my travels, this time in Ballintubber, Co. Mayo on a very fast piece of road. What really pisses me off is the fact that the county council probably tarmaced this area for these people. I'm convinced its a form of greed for land, like what saw in The Field........every inch is precious.......Ignorant Fcukers

dsc00180ce6.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I seen some good examples today
    blocks.jpg
    blocks2.jpg

Hahahahaaaa! Did you ever see anything more pathetic? Typical bloody Irish, building a big castle and huffily not allowing anyone to drive - even momentarily - on the tarmac in front. A good kick in the a55 is what they need. And we think the English are bad for that sort of thing.

I live in a tiny house but in a very nice - though crowded - area of Waterford city. Anyone at all can park outside my house, and believe me they do. I can't understand this "The Field" mentality that people in the country have. If you don't want people pulling over onto "your land" then don't build a big house in the country! Anyway who cares? It's not like they're parking along your driveway, is it?

Back on page 1 I described my accident. Thankfully the house owner on whose land I ended up didn't have those bollards in place, but if they did, I'd have had no idea they were illegal. Thank you OP for raising this. If I have occasion to swerve onto a verge like that again, and I hit bollards, I will be straight on to my solicitor!

• Advertisement
Advertisement