Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humanitarian reason for the invasion of Iraq

• 15-10-2007 8:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=MPHYA6000029000007001511000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes
    Medical Physics -- July 2002 -- Volume 29, Issue 7, pp. 1511-1513
    A prospective study should be performed to test the hypothesis that an increase in background radiation to residents in the gulf states will increase their longevity

John R. Cameron
    University of Wisconsin–Madison, Departments of Medical Physics, Radiology, and Physics, Madison, Wisconsin 53706

Jeffrey Kahn
    University of Minnesota, Center for Bioethics, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455-0346

William R. Hendee, Moderator

(Received 29 April 2002; accepted 29 April 2002; published 20 June 2002)
    9 months later on March 20, 2003, there was an increase in background radiation, mainly from depleted uranium. However, it has been impossible to say if there was increased longevity since reliable statistics have been hard to obtain. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I cant open the article, interesting Premis that, so if you dont get hit by a DU round the fact that its there will increase your longevity, how about all the guys that have already died or contracted some form of nasty complication from these things the first time round, how much of an increase in Background radiation can they cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

Can you post up the actual article? I've looked at the link and I've searched the internet and I cannot find a copy of the report.

How do you know that when they say "gulf states" they don't mean American states in or around the gulf of mexico? E.g. Texas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Dirty Dave wrote: »
    Can you post up the actual article? I've looked at the link and I've searched the internet and I cannot find a copy of the report.

How do you know that when they say "gulf states" they don't mean American states in or around the gulf of mexico? E.g. Texas.

I've a sneaky suspicion based on the premise that they didn't fire off a sh!tleoad of DU rounds at the population of Alabama ( probably should have tho ) that its the Gulf of Arabia they're referencing.

I have tried hard and even after downloadin the codec thingy to read the page I still cant see the feckin article, so +1 on the post it here thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So some academics are curious as to whether background radiation increases or decreases longevity of residents in the gulf, and their research gives them no answer? What's the point of this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

I've a sneaky suspicion based on the premise that they didn't fire off a sh!tleoad of DU rounds at the population of Alabama ( probably should have tho ) that its the Gulf of Arabia they're referencing.

I have tried hard and even after downloadin the codec thingy to read the page I still cant see the feckin article, so +1 on the post it here thing

True, but nowhere in the link does it say that the background radiation was caused by depleted uranium - that idea was put forward by the OP.

OP, any chance of posting the article? Until we see it, the link you posted could be about a report on a study of airborne radiation from a power plant in Florida.... :) Cos I cant see anything from that link.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement