Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete blocks along side of roads

• 15-10-2007 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

What is the story with people closing off the area between their garden walls and the edge of the road with concrete blocks. Sometimes they even have chains linking them up. I presume this is to put off people parking there but I think this action is very selfish. In an emergency you cannot swerve in this area to avoid a hazard. The issue is more severe for bikers who would almost certainly come off if they hit them. Does anyone know the laws regarding this. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe this area is council property, as it is set out as a condition in a granted planning permission application, to keep the garden walls of new houses back a certain distance from the road. Also, if I have to swerve in an emergency and I damage my car on these blocks, who is liable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I always understood that pavement area was council property but that home owners had some rights over where their driveway meets the road (e.g. you're entitled to stop someone parking outside your gate as they're blocking your access to the road).

I think a lot of it is down to house proud folk who maintain green areas of the pavement outside their house and don't want people parking on the area and wrecking the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's not so much to prevent parking but to deter heavy vehicle suck as trucks and tractors from pulling into the grass verge when meeting another large vehicle. In damp conditions, the verge is destroyed.

AFAIK, if a homeowner places blocks in front of their house, they could be held responsible for any accident which may arise as a result of a collision with the blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what always struck me as stupid about it is that ,having spent a fortune on tarmac, they stick concrete blocks or whatever out to stop anyone driving on it INCLUDING THEMSELVES.....and it looks awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i put this to someone who does this... most of the time its out in the countryside. and they said it was to stop people pulling in for a pit stop to change there kids nappys.. and they were just throwing them on the ground along with the other mess that they wer eleaving behind...

also to do with lorrys crushing the ground and breaking up there tarmac...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

and to prevent articulated truck drivers from parking up there every night.
    If you have a truck driver living any way near local to you and you have a stretch of margin they can park up on then that is where they'll park.

• Advertisement

obvious question then....why tarmac it in the first place? or...why not put in a kerb......

thats two obvious questions.....

AMONGST the obvious questions are......:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

In some places there are kerbs already :( and that does not stop people parking on them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

bandit197 wrote: »
    What is the story with...
    I've never seen this.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

where I live we pay 85 euro per annum for grass cutitng etc. However the GAA folk believe that they have a divine right to come down the estate and park on the grassy verges and to hell with the ruts they leave behind. Our dear friends the Guards don't give a flying f**k either. After all who cares if the residents can't park in their own estate..

I see that in Limerick the Corpo have signsup near Thomond Park telling folk not to park on the green areas...

parsi wrote: »
    where I live we pay 85 euro per annum for grass cutitng etc. However the GAA folk believe that they have a divine right to come down the estate and park on the grassy verges and to hell with the ruts they leave behind. Our dear friends the Guards don't give a flying f**k either. After all who cares if the residents can't park in their own estate..

I see that in Limerick the Corpo have signsup near Thomond Park telling folk not to park on the green areas...

well if you are paying for grass cutting I guess its a private estate and none of the guards business....you'd have to get the management committee (or whatever you have) to start clamping unauthorised cars....

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    well if you are paying for grass cutting I guess its a private estate and none of the guards business....you'd have to get the management committee (or whatever you have) to start clamping unauthorised cars....

Well you've guessed wrong.

The estate is in the charge of the Corporation however they only guarantee 2 cuts of grass per annum hence the residents pay for the rest of the cutting (there's a lot of grass...).

On one occasion the guards ticketed cars that were parked on the footpath but that wa 4 or 5 years ago.

you city folk do things oddly:D.....does everyone pay? I bet they dont!:)

It depends on the estate and wether it is managed or not.
    Our isn't and under the county by laws we are resposnible for cutting the grass of the verge and can be done for litter on it as well.
    We do try and keep it tidy but so many inconsiderate fúckers keep parking on it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maratonass

Thaedydal wrote: »
    We do try and keep it tidy but so many inconsiderate *keep parking on it :(
    Parking on grass verges, mown or not, is illegal.

corktina wrote: »
    you city folk do things oddly:D.....does everyone pay? I bet they dont!:)

Most people pay. The hard part it seems is getting the landlords to pay for their houses (but that's a different issue)

maratonass wrote: »

strictly speaking, parking anywhere on the Highway (which includes the verges) is illegal UNLESS it is a specified Parking zone....the offence would be obstruction I believe....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

During world war II, one way to keep people off your verges was a small sign that said "danger minefield"

modern equivalent..."Daniel O'Donnel tea party here today"

maratonass wrote: »

Yep . but do you really think that the garda will bother there arses to come give a ticket ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

parsi wrote: »

When I started this thread I was not referring to estates or grassy areas. I am speaking about tarred or hard fill areas beside our roads where there is a 100kph speed limit. Some people block these areas off when clearly they should be left free for use in an emergency..ie swerving to avoid a potential collision. Personally I think parking on grassy areas is wrong and does a lot of damage not to mention blocking off residents access.

• Advertisement
Advertisement