Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lollol banned from soccer

Options
  • 15-10-2007 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

psi wrote:
    psi wrote:
    IN ANY CASE, there has been alot of personal attacks on the player here, calling him whatnot. What he did may be called into question, but attack on the intelligence, morality or any other personality trait of he or his family will not be tolerated.

Just in case you think I'm kidding, I'll be handing out 2 month bans on this thread for those who ignore this warning.

Banned 2 months.

I'm entitled to have a moan and I chose to exercise that right! Some parts of this place have really gone to the dogs since boards was founded.

lol bannaments.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

RasTa wrote: »
    Some parts of this place have really gone to the dogs since boards was founded.

That statement doesn't make sense. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That statement doesn't make sense. :confused:

What is so confusing?

What is so confusing?

You said that parts of this place have gone to the dogs since boards was started. Saying that since boards was started, you're indicating a timeline there, and 'since it started' would mean from the very beginning. 'Gone' to the dogs suggests it was once good. The two statements contradict each other.

Hmmm, very analytical there Karl. My rant was just in reflection to how some sections of the forums have evolved since the start. Example in the good old days you could just sign up and start posting, now it's

"Due to the sheer number of application from people who couldn't be arsed:

(a) Reading the application process and charters

or

(b) Following the instruction in those threads

we will now be banning from the forum for 1 month, those posters who do not apply correctly"

Rules like this when signing up as a whole are a poor reflection of boards being a community site.

I don't want to go on a big rant about the evolution of boards because it's pointless and not worthwhile. Also no intelligent debate goes on in the soccer forum. Only forum that has some community is the poker forum and the one I will continue to frequent regularly.

I feel like Larry David sometimes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm entitled to have a moan and I chose to exercise that right! Some parts of this place have really gone to the dogs since boards was founded.

lol bannaments.

Were you not warned that any future personal attacks would result in a 2 month ban?

Did you pay attention to that warning?

If you didnt whats the problem?

• Advertisement

Hmmm, very analytical there Karl. My rant was just in reflection to how some sections of the forums have evolved since the start. Example in the good old days you could just sign up and start posting, now it's

"Due to the sheer number of application from people who couldn't be arsed:

(a) Reading the application process and charters

or

(b) Following the instruction in those threads

we will now be banning from the forum for 1 month, those posters who do not apply correctly"

Rules like this when signing up as a whole are a poor reflection of boards being a community site.

I don't want to go on a big rant about the evolution of boards because it's pointless and not worthwhile. Also no intelligent debate goes on in the soccer forum. Only forum that has some community is the poker forum and the one I will continue to frequent regularly.

I feel like Larry David sometimes.

But the Soccor forum has always been hugely problematic, with a lot of abusive posts, more so than any other board, making it almost impossible to discuss anything because of fights. These measures had to be implemented, extreme as they are, to keep things under control.

There was talk at one point of simply closing the soccor board, so considering how it could've gone, getting users to follow a few rules before they're allowed into the board seems like a much better option.

And to be fair, I think there's a great sense of community in many of the boards, especially considering how many posters I know in real life.

The heavy handed nature of what is tolerated and me commenting that Stephen Ireland already has 2 children being deemed as a personal attack is the "problem"

But again I don't want to get into a debate about it, just venting. I'll discuss my soccer elsewhere. I also agree with you Karl about there being some excellent communities on some of the boards, just shame it's never allowed evolve on the soccer due to the restrictions in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Rasta wrote:
    The guy already has 2 kids(first at 15) and just broke up with the mother 6 months ago. This new missus is meant to be a right bitch.

This is what got you banned. There was absolutely no reason or relation of this comment to soccer. It wasn't a statement of fact or cause and effect, it was conjecture and opinion tantamount to abuse.

Under normal circumstances, I may just have warned you for that, however, I'd already warned you of what was acceptable or not. If you choose to ignore that warning, I'll carry out my ban threat.

Incidently, given your PM reply to me, I'm not particularly inclined to let you back into soccer, but I'll make that decision after co-mod consultation.

psi wrote: »
    This is what got you banned. There was absolutely no reason or relation of this comment to soccer. It wasn't a statement of fact or cause and effect, it was conjecture and opinion tantamount to abuse.

Under normal circumstances, I may just have warned you for that, however, I'd already warned you of what was acceptable or not. If you choose to ignore that warning, I'll carry out my ban threat.

Incidently, given your PM reply to me, I'm not particularly inclined to let you back into soccer, but I'll make that decision after co-mod consultation.

Again calling someone a bitch IMO is not a personal attack. I think it's a highly trivial matter that I do agree has no relevance in my post. However a 2 month banning for it is undeniably harsh and paramount to how that place is run.

Sorry, on re-reading, I haven't made myself clear. I'll clarify.

Everyone was warned that abuse (calling someone a bitch is abuse) was prohibited.

A clear statement was made that ignoring the warning would lead to a 2 month ban.

You ignored the warning when you called someone a bitch. That was what got you banned.

The length of the ban, however, was for ignoring the warning. Thats why you were banned for two months.

The place is run fine and fair, but it wouldn't be run very well if I make a statement and fail to follow through on it.

You were very fairly and publicly warned about the consequences of your actions before hand. You ignored the warning, you got banned.

If you want to go elsewhere, that's your call, I suggest F365, they like that mindless sort of post. Failing that, st0rmfront websites are good for mindless abuse, you might enjoy that.

• Advertisement

psi wrote: »

If you want to go elsewhere, that's your call, I suggest F365, they like that mindless sort of post. Failing that, st0rmfront websites are good for mindless abuse, you might enjoy that.

Just LOL. See what I mean Karl?

Just LOL. See what I mean Karl?

Dear god, you didn't actually take that at face value, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How exactly would allowing you to call some random girl you've never met a bitch help a community evolve in the soccer forum?

PHB wrote: »
    How exactly would allowing you to call some random girl you've never met a bitch help a community evolve in the soccer forum?

Waaay to take something out of context as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No seriously, why the hell should comments like that be allowed? Hell, it's not like it's even an opposing teams player, it's just the wife of someone, who nobody has any clue about whatsoever except random hearsay and crap.

The rules were implemented because crap like that was posted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I recommend the OP be reinstated at once. He did not break ANY charter rules. This is a crime against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote: »
    No seriously, why the hell should comments like that be allowed? Hell, it's not like it's even an opposing teams player, it's just the wife of someone, who nobody has any clue about whatsoever except random hearsay and crap.

The rules were implemented because crap like that was posted.

Ah another United supporter banned for fnck all by PSI, surprise surprise. Rasta is obviously another opinion that doesn't fit in the master plan for soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If you are considered a disruptive influence by the moderators or the admins your access to this board will be removed and your readmittance will be at the discretion of the mods of the forum
    Seems fair enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The Muppet wrote: »
    Ah another United supporter banned for fnck all by PSI, surprise surprise.

In fairness Muppet there was a specific warning put up and the OP ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Totally warranted ban, he ignored the warning and carried on regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Terry wrote: »
    Seems fair enough to me.

It may be fair enough if it were applied universally to all users. That's not the case on the soccer forum. The inconsitencies of the moderation there has been highlighted before by respected members of this community. Some of what passes as moderation there is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Rasta do you want to handle this like we would in the old days? In the old days you'd be given such an unrelenting bollixing that you're only recourse would be to open your veins to the cold dark nothing of oblivion. The shear fact that bubbles is banned should tell you that the old days are long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'm entitled to have a moan
    Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I must admit i think the ban was rather harsh , but then again PSI likes to rule with a iron fist edit :P

Advertisement