Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie with dumb question. Please answer for me

Options
  • 15-10-2007 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

I apologise if this is dumb but I just got broadband from imagine and haven't got much clue about how to set it up.

Got connected so far ok. The phone line went into a 'ZyXEL' box (Prestige 600 series) and from there a yellow phone type cable went into my laptop.

registered and all working.

Question is how do I get the broadband around the house so that the kids can use their laptops upstairs and I can keep the broadband in my study ?

Do I need buy some kind of video sender type box to replace the ZyXEL box ?
    Do I keep the ZyXEL box?
    Will their laptops have to be compatible or blue tooth or anything like that ?

am i restricted to only one laptop at home accessing at a time ?

Will you forgive me if these questions have been asked a thousand times before ?

Please reply in layman's terms.
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You need a wireless ( wifi) modem. the 660 is not one of those .

the orange eircom starter packs for €25 in currys and harvey normans and pc world have a netopia wireless modem which works just fine with imagine as long as you know your username and password for imagine but for GODS sake turn off the preset WEP security and turn on WPA security instead .

post back for instructions when you have one ready to plug into the wall instead of the zyxel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Thanks.
    I will buy a wireless wifi modem. Then come back.

WTF is a WEP or a WPA ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Different forms of wireless security , WPA being the safest ...

If you live over 100m from your nearest neighbour it usually does not matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

very helpful. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Different forms of wireless security , WPA being the safest ...

If you live over 100m from your nearest neighbour it usually does not matter

Unless a guy with a laptop keeps parking outside your gate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement