Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using unlocked phone on 3 network

• 15-10-2007 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I was actually thinking of doing this at one point, and the guy in the shop even told me I could just buy a 3 phone and use the sim in my own phone or get a second hand sim. but this is before i read this forum

do they really hassle you that much if you tell them you are using a unlocked phone, do they disconnect you from the network by checking your unlocked phone's IMEI number? Sure their "walled garden" rip off services they hardcode into the firmware of their phones might not work but i'm not too pushed about that.

In the early days of 3 over in england they had a particularly ugly looking NEC handset that had the sim card glued into it so people wouldn't take it out, use it on a 2G phone on a 2G network and get cheap calls

there is a big push for integrating services & phones with the networks over here these days. mostly a craze started with the iPhone (you can only get it "ON" one particular network, and they do their best to make sure the phone stays irreversibly locked to that network) even I seen a poster for the new razr that was "exclusively on meteor". you can probably get them unlocked but the networks are really fighting against the idea of getting a new sim card on another network for your phone these days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I use my 3 sim in an unlocked N95 with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

From what everyone here has been saying
    - if you tell them it's not a 3 handset they'll blame all your problems on this
    - if you don't mention it to them you shouldn't have any issues (other than being on the 3 network .. )

Advertisement