Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Approaches -more paranormal yes or no

Options
  • 15-10-2007 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Ok so going to ask the obvious question here

Halloween is fast approaching, does any paranormal enthusiast/spiritualist believe/not believe that there is more activity around this time?

I know where I'm from (rural, really rural Ireland) people are always a bit on edge around this time. A lot of it has to do with having the all saints & all souls feastdays & going to the graveyards at dusk etc etc but there's also other things - livestock are always put in the shed for the night,domestic animals are not left out etc etc

Anyone any views??

Ladybird

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I think its a hard one to call, i think a lot of the 'extra' activity around this time of year can be associated to the stigma that surrounds people that have a little understanding of where Halloween originates from. People read up on little bits here and there or they have stories passed down through family members etc. the stories change like Chinese whispers, but with all that in mind i personally do believe there is an odd feeling in the air around Halloween night.
    This topic really comes down to how an individual was brought up around Halloween and what influences they had around them on Halloween!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Personnally, I'd say no halloween doesn't make anything more paranormal, although it definetly has a placebo effect in that people are more aware and will read more paranormal meanings into the mundane.

The best example of this I can give is the calls "Most haunted live" (yes, I know but it's the best example I can think off) saying that the power had gone in the house or a bulb had blown and trying to blame it on the paranormal. Remember people will also be much more willing to try the like of a ouija board etc at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I would be inclined to agree with the above. Placebo effect, something drummed into you since the womb . Halloween = Ghosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

and diea why hollow'een = ghosts then ?

Well I would assume that it is has its roots in an obvious pre christian european religous ritual regarding the cycle of the seasons, rebirth/death ect were arguable seen as linked with the physical world (note Viereckshanzen as just one of many examples). Something Chirstianity wasnt exactly able to stamp out cause its linked to the seasons and not a religious figure that can be assimilated into the church.

I think

• Advertisement

/Me gives grimes a lollipop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I would of also thought that some of it would of be superstition spread by christianity to sort of cast pagan beliefs in a bad light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lots of horror movies, ghost stories, decorations, and superstition in the air at this time of year... makes people, more so than usual, put 2 and 2 together and get a big scary werewolf! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I think there is a different 'feel' to the air around Halloween. Generally I wouldn't open myself up in that energy because probably every nutjob, both living and dead would be wreaking havoc on that night! lol
    But there certainly is a sense of 'magic and mischief' on All Hallow's Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

• Advertisement

Aisling&M wrote: »
    I think there is a different 'feel' to the air around Halloween.

Yes there is.
    Aisling&M wrote: »
    Generally I wouldn't open myself up in that energy because probably every nutjob, both living and dead would be wreaking havoc on that night!

I disagree.

I find the engery to be very calming and wonderful and I am always greatful for the interactions I have at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I take the night off to watch silly scary movies and eat sweets and watch the cute kids in their costumes! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The great thing about placebos is that they actually do work.

People often talk about the veil between the land of the living and the land of the dead being thinner. In general on the forum we often talk about people's ability to sense things beyond the normal 5 senses, and it's often been said that everyone has these abilities, just that some use them more than others. So if the 'veil between the living and the dead' is more of a mental wall people have to sensing what's around them, then perhaps the 'placebo' of halloween is just enough to help people experience something.

Like others said, I do feel that there's an 'electricity' in the air on halloween, that I can't put down to just the amount of sugar I've consumed ;). Something else we often talk about on the forum is energy, and with more people at halloween being focused on ghosts and the supernatural in general, who knows what effect that may have. It has been mentioned that ghosts may need to draw energy from people to manifest themselves, perhaps people thinking of ghosts provides more energy for them. Similarly people have mentioned thought forms, whereby a person provides the energy and form for an entity, with people focusing on ghosts so much, maybe they create their own.

Most importantly of all, we really need a ghost smiley

icon_h_ghost.gif

There is always the "halloween smell" in the air. Usually burning sulpher due to massive ammounts of bonfires and fireworks. That would be what I would attribute the atmosphere to. That and all the ghosts in the windows. :p

Ghosts dont have a timetable .

Have you asked any?

What about cycles? Annual Hauntings?

I have seen more evidence for ghosts not having time tables then evidence of them having time tables.

Care to expand a bit? Genuinely interested.

well i would like to hear about ghosts having a time table from you first ? As i have honestly nevery heard of a ghost being on cue ?

and by the way i said ghosts dont have a time table we do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blythe

Evening all,

Ok so going to ask the obvious question here

:eek:I know where I'm from (rural, really rural Ireland) people are always a bit on edge around this time. A lot of it has to do with having the all saints & all souls feastdays & going to the graveyards at dusk etc etc but there's also other things - livestock are always put in the shed for the night,domestic animals are not left out etc etc

Anyone any views??

Ladybird
    yes, I absolutely agree that there is a different feel in the air this time of year. As for the animals- I'm not sure maybe it's so they don't get frightened by fire-works, then again you did say you live in a rural part. I love this time of year.

Yes totally agree, the atmosphere changes completely.

well i would like to hear about ghosts having a time table from you first ? As i have honestly nevery heard of a ghost being on cue ?

and by the way i said ghosts dont have a time table we do.

Actually it is all souls time of year- of course there is a time-yable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thaedydal wrote: »
    icon_h_ghost.gif

Ooooh, perfect, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

6th wrote: »

I'm sure there's a thread on this every year - sort of what one would expect...

Ladybird:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Hallowe'en has the same sort of effect on someone as Christmas does, not a haunting effect obviously, but a placebo effect. It's tradition, it's drilled into you from the moment your born. People feel as if there is an air of mischief around hallowe'en, or feel even more superstitious than normal. Then, around christmas everyone feels all holy and whatever else comes with that time of year. But, there's no jesus or santa claus. Anyone who buys into the whole idea of hallowe'en being more haunted than any other time of the year, or just plain haunted at all, needs their head examined.

blythe wrote: »
    Actually it is all souls time of year- of course there is a time-yable

Yes but isnt that our timetable ? When your dead , there is no such thing as time ? ? I dont know myself as i have never been dead , unless re-incarnation but thats a whole other ball park .

Dre are you saying that ghosts do or dont have a timetable ?:confused:. If so why? To be honest id say they wouldnt but I dont know how the spirit world works so I wouldnt call either view poppycock just yet.

As for rural activity on Halloween I would have to put that down to supersticious beliefs and customs rather than actual paranormal activity.

G

Grimes wrote: »
    As for rural activity on Halloween I would have to put that down to supersticious beliefs and customs rather than actual paranormal activity.

G

Yes but has those customs and superstitions got thier root in paranormal activity at some time ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I was actually thinking about this the other day, does the veil between the two planes really get thinner or is it just because of our understanding or education of halloween that it does due to more people looking to that side on this particular night... is that why some people experience more activity or experience it for the first time on this one night or that they are willing to take it as something paranormal. I think its because of this understanding that we tend to open up that little more and we are more willing to accept an experience on halloween night than other nights. I am usually running around doing the kiddies stuff on that night but this year I thinks me will try a few experiments of my own and see what happens.

Advertisement