Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish/Finnish scene trade

• 15-10-2007 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello metalheads!

I'm sorry to post such a "personal" message here, but didn't find any better place to put it. :/ If it's an evil and wrong thing to do, mods will hopefully get rid of my post.

I'm looking for someone to chat with about the Irish metal scene and Ireland in general. Would like to hear about the more local bands that are pretty much unknown here in Finland. In exchange will be glad to talk about the Finnish scene, recommend some bands and more than glad to go on and on about Finland. :)

I'm a nineteen-year-old girl from Finland, just started studying English translation at Turku university (Which is a part of why I'd liek to practice with a native speaker). Also big into photography and arts in general.

If you think you'd get along with me, feel free to private message me to get my MSN.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If you want to find out about more Irish bands, then you should take a look at this thread.

If you engage in some discussions here, it could be good practice for you, and I'm sure everyone will be helpfull and friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Liselle

Ah, thank you very much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

You would find out a lot more information over here:

www.metalireland.com/forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Welcome Liselle, or should I say Tervetuloa boards.ie:lle.

The funny thing is, I've been away from the Irish scene myself for some years and was going to post the same question today as a student asked me earlier about the Irish (Hard) Rock scene.

As most know, the Finnish metal scene is pretty BIG with great internationally known bands such as Nightwish, HIM, Lordi.... the lesser known ones such as Children of Bodom, 69 Eyes... to the even lesser known bands such as Amorphis, Viikata (Finnish language), Von Hertzen Bros and Walttari, CMX (Finnish) Sonata Artica, Thunderstone and many more. Just go to youtube and find out more about them.

RADIO ROCK ALL THE WAY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Finland has some great bands, but the most famous ones seem to be the worst unfortunatley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Den_M wrote: »
    Finland has some great bands, but the most famous ones seem to be the worst unfortunatley.

I would have thought Apocalyptica would have been one of the most famous and they are faaar from being poo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Nwofm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Nea wrote: »
    I would have thought Apocalyptica would have been one of the most famous and they are faaar from being poo!

I was thinking more Nightwish, HIM, Lordi

although I did like HIM as a teenager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Hi Liselle,
    Welcome to the forum..

Some great music coming from Finland in the last few years - Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Turisas, Kotipelto, Sinergy, Poison Black, Sentenced(rip), Sonata Arctica, Childen of Bodom, Stratovarius - that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Ensiferum have played here twice in the last 2 years & were very well received by all at the gigs. Love Korpiklaani - such a fun band!

To my shame, I'm not that well up on the irish scene - I know a fair few of the bands their gigs (me included). I usually travel to festivals & gigs abroad and mostly go to the international bands that play here. But post what genre you're interested in & I'm sure we'll be all be able to chip in with some local knowledge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Liselle

I have to agree with the people who think HIM and Lordi aren't so great... And I can't stand Stratovarius but love Sonata. It's Kotipelto's voice that drives me insane. Argh, damn squeaky-voice miniature man. :D I do however like Nightwish, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, and definately MOONSORROW. If you don't know Moonsorrow yet, go and find out. (If you're not put off by lyrics in Finnish... they do come with English translations anyway.) Finntroll rocks live, and their new album Ur Jordens Djup is one of my favorites.

Apocalyptica's okay, but my grandma likes it more than I do. She also went to Sauna Open Air 2004 with me to see Nightwish. Metal granny all the way \,,/

Now really, could someone for example just name me one or two of their favourite Irish bands? I'm really more after personal opinions than reviews on websites and such. ;) (I'm still thankful for the links.)

Tonight I'll go see some smaller bands (Axegressor, Dethera, Panzerium, Deathlike Silence, Autere, Hateform) as there's a little happening known as "West Coast Holocaust" (:D) in my city today and tomorrow. Some of the organizers are actually my friends and some of the bands feature my friends too, so I'm obliged to go even though most of the bands aren't really my style. Not big into thrash/death/black metal. Metal circles are pretty small around here, so I probably shouldn't be surprised. Not proportionally, I guess, but Turku only has 170 000 or so people, which only supports a limited amount of metalheads no matter what.

Greetings, Lissu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I have a soft spot for Lordi, mainly due to my fascination with all things ridiculous, a la KISS. CoB are an excellent band too. Although I have kinda grown tired of the massive amounts of similar metal bands coming from Scandinavia, CoB are always great for a listen.

A local Limerick band, Psyatica, toured Finland with For Selena And Sin, and then continued on to Ireland. Although female-fronted goth metal isn't my cup of tea, their live show was entertaining. Friendly bunch of lads too. From a quick look at their myspace page, they seem to be touring Finland a lot; how popular are they there?

Lordi are fine. My kids love them. Almost all kids here in Finland do, esp the boys. I remember shortly after Lordi won the Eurovision, I was shopping for some new Ice Hockey gear with my (then) 7 year old son. There were 20-30 other boys aged 5-12 also in the shop. Then Hard Rock came on the radio. It was like being at a live Lordi concert with all these kids shouting out "Harrrd RRRock Halleluuujahhh!!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

Sadly there seems to be a big difference in the quantity of quality metal music between Ireland and Finland.

The only Irish bands that stick out to me are: Primordial, Waylander, Cruachan, and Mourning Beloveth; whereas the list is far bigger in terms of Finnish music: Amoral, Catamenia, Stam1na, Mokoma, Naildown, Insomnium, Farmakon, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Amorphis, Diablo, Omnium Gatherum and Apulanta (Pahempi Toistaan :))

Good luck in your search for Irish metal! Kippis

I think Ireland needs to have a radio station dedicated to Rock Music. Not just a regional one but a nationwide station like here in Finland. We need to find another Thin Lizzy out there, or even another Mamas Boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Defo I agree with deman. Unfortunately I end up listening to both US and UK online Metal Radio Stations. Ireland definitely needs an Alternative/Metal/Rock Radio Station. It would be great to see some local bands get the mainstream exposure they need.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

DenMan wrote: »
    Defo I agree with deman. Unfortunately I end up listening to both US and UK online Metal Radio Stations. Ireland definitely needs an Alternative/Metal/Rock Radio Station. It would be great to see some local bands get the mainstream exposure they need.
    Phantom FM?? It has a metal show on from 8-10pm on Monday and Friday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

DenMan wrote: »

I hate to encrouage such a necromancer :p:D, but Waterford has its own metal station, its called metalhertzfm http://www.metalhertzfm.com/. They usually braodcast every weekend night for a good 4/5 hours and play some great music. I am not sure it the web streaming on their site is actually funtional yet, but if it is you should all tune in :D !!

Thanks for that guys. Defo gonna check both of them out. It's good to know there are some local stations around.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Ramses wrote: »
    Sadly there seems to be a big difference in the quantity of quality metal music between Ireland and Finland.
    I don't think you're looking hard enough.
    The only Irish bands that stick out to me are: Primordial, Waylander, Cruachan, and Mourning Beloveth;

A few more that are worth checking out (might be hard to find stuff by them though) are Abaddon Incarnate, Wreck of the Hesperus, Sinister Demise, Condemned, Altar of Plagues, War Iron, For Ruin and Overoth. That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but I would advise going to a few gigs and poking around Myspace and whatnot - there is a lot of high quality metal in Ireland that just isn't exposed.

That's great news. The Metal scene in Ireland has to be explored much more, plenty of talented bands waiting in the wings. How is the underground scene in Dublin/elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Day of Darkness
    http://www.dodfestival.com/main.html

Day of Darkness is a great little gig that happens every year, there are usually 20 bands that play over a Friday and Saturday , half the bands are Irish and the other half are mostly from around Europe, it really is a deadly little gig, they usually have one or two semi-big names , but the rest are potentially undiscovered gems :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

There are better (in my opinion) bands from Finland than the usual Children of Bodom, HIM and the rest of the bunch.

Bands like Beherit, Urn, Archgoat, Behexen, Clandestine Blaze amongst a huge plethora of bands that are easily some of the best in their genre.

As for Irish metal, we're a small country, we don't need to be pumping out 70+ metal bands from across the country, just to keep up with other countries. We've got some excellent talent, which are recognised as such across the globe.

With regards to the Irish rock radio stations - as I said before, we're a small country, there's not going to be a huge demand for a purely rock/metal radio station as there would be for a regular station. It'd probably just end up catering towards what's "cool" now.

If I want to listen to music I like, I'll listen to my own CDs or my MP3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

deman wrote: »
    I think Ireland needs to have a radio station dedicated to Rock Music. Not just a regional one but a nationwide station like here in Finland. We need to find another Thin Lizzy out there, or even another Mamas Boys.

Aaaahhh The Mamas Boys, legends!! I love Pat McManus, the man is a genius and a true gent. Didnt get to go to rory gallagher festival this year, assume he was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Liselle wrote: »
    ..... Finntroll rocks live, and their new album Ur Jordens Djup is one of my favorites.

Greetings, Lissu

Finntroll UK Tour 2009:

Sep 25th 2009 Nottingham / Rock City
    Sep 26th 2009 London / Underworld
    Sep 27th 2009 Wrexham / Central Station
    Sep 28th 2009 Manchester / Moho
    Sep 29th 2009 Glasgow / Cathouse
    Sep 30th 2009 Leeds / Rios

Advertisement