Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats your favourite rose ?

• 15-10-2007 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

I dont mean the lovely girls at the rose of Tralee (although the Galway rose usually does the county proud)

I mean the roses chocolates. Personally I like the carmel keg the best.

I dont understand why cadburys dont just substitute the coffee sweets with the carmel kegs as they are always left behind in everyones tin as far as I can see. (when i was a kid these were consumed in february when youd be starving and they would be the only bit of chocolate left in the house)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maybe the strawberry one... I can't actually think of what's in Roses, anyone got a list with a description?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭robo

I love the toffee ones, but not the ones with the yellow wrappers, but the nutty type ones with the red wrapper.
    I also like the bourneville ones...mmmmm :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Link to contents

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Cadbury_Roses_Chocolate.html

Robo - i think they got rid of the bournville ones in 1984

Faith wrote: »
    Maybe the strawberry one... I can't actually think of what's in Roses, anyone got a list with a description?

I took this list from Wikipedia -
    14 different varieties of chocolate: Brazilian Darkness, Cadbury Dairy Milk, Tangy Orange Creme, Country Fudge, Chocolate Bite, Golden Barrel, Hazel Whirl, Strawberry Dream, Caramel, Caramel Velvet, Orange Crisp, Praline Moment, Hazel in Caramel, Chunky Truffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Caramel with hazelnut in the middle, nyom.

• Advertisement

cazzy wrote: »
    Robo - i think they got rid of the bournville ones in 1984
    Are you sure? They may be gone :(
    But I don't think it was 1984, cos I would have only taken the fancy ones back then, now at a maturer age(like in the last few years), the bournevile one would have been one of my fave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

robo wrote: »
    Are you sure? They may be gone :(
    But I don't think it was 1984, cos I would have only taken the fancy ones back then, now at a maturer age(like in the last few years), the bournevile one would have been one of my fave.

Maybe it was 1994 but they are gone a good while :D
    Dont know why when they kept those vile coffee ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the hazelnut swirl i think it's called, it's a purple wrapper with orange scrunchy bits at the ends.

failing that, the plain old caramel keg or strawberry one are good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Strawberry or Orange. Or the Barrels. Mmm, can't wait for Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

barrels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

For me, it's the strawberry one.

Incidently, Tesco's in Newbridge were selling 2.2kg tins of Roses last week for about 6 euro. They sold out very quickly & I was one of the lucky people to get a tin

it doesn't weigh 2.2kgs anymore though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I dont understand why cadburys dont just substitute the coffee sweets with the carmel kegs as they are always left behind
    When I was kid I loved the coffee sweets so when the tin was passed around I always took something else knowing full well I'd get all the coffee ones later.
    Sneakey wee hoor, I haven't changed much. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I can't believe there is so much variation. I thought it would be a landslide.
    Ruu wrote: »
    Caramel with hazelnut in the middle, nyom.

+1 FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

pole maybe?

Its hazlenut whirl for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Nehpets wrote: »
    barrels!

what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

The-Rigger wrote: »
    what he said

+ 1.

And the toffee ones too yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Strawberry/Purple one nut in caramel are tied at the top of my list.

Quality Street just don't compare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DesF wrote: »
    Strawberry/Purple one nut in caramel are tied at the top of my list.

Quality Street just don't compare.

No, but I love the hardish toffee Quality Street. Pennies and sticks I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

strawberry or barrells for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hagar wrote: »
    When I was kid I loved the coffee sweets so when the tin was passed around I always took something else knowing full well I'd get all the coffee ones later.
    Sneakey wee hoor, I haven't changed much. :D

My wife loves visiting my parents at Christmas, they always leave the coffee and strawberry ones and she gets to feast on them :)

My favourite has to be the chewy caramels, closely followed by the caramel keg and the hazelnut and caramel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Maybe it was 1994 but they are gone a good while :D
    Dont know why when they kept those vile coffee ones
    Must be 1994, coz I used to loooove them, but I wasn't born in '84...

Why does everyone keep mentioning the coffee ones? They've been gone for years!! Unfortunately. They were so nice... :(

Favourite: Hazelnut Caramel (purple one) or Truffle Chunk (blue foil wrapper) yums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Favourite: Hazelnut Caramel (purple one)
    Without a doubt! same for quality street. You used to be able to get boxes of just purple ones- havent seen them lately.

And yes the coffee is gone for years now, people just have bad memories about them, I liked them so noticed more when they went. Nearly all the bad ones are gone- I remember years ago you had to go trawling through them to find good ones, some of the mediocre ones are gone too- the hard ones.

These days they are dirt cheap in big tins, about €6.50 per kg, about half the price of bars, while years back it was the other way aound.

Heroes & celebrations are good too- no real "duds" in them- but no outstanding ones like the purple badboys, but you dont get stung by having last pick. And no rushing to nick all the purples. I remember re-wrapping crap ones in purple wrappers, the brother bragging with handfuls of supposed purple ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

rubadub wrote: »
    but no outstanding ones like the purple badboys,
    :eek::eek:

The Malteaser one is frickin' lovely.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,322 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

r3nu4l wrote: »
    My favourite has to be the chewy caramels, closely followed by the caramel keg

Me too, followed by the fudge one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

See, nobody wants the coffee cremes, I win again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

I love the coffee ones and the only time of year you can get coffee sweets is at christmas when all my family/friends save them up for me. keeps me going for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

barrels ftw

Advertisement