Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smyths Toys Airside, Swords

• 15-10-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

Move this if need be:

I was looking for a Nintendo WII and decided to ring Smyths Toys to see if they had any in stock as I would be passing them later. I rang them about 25 times and the phone rang out each time.

When I got there later I decided to ring again from my mobile to see what happens. There were 5 staff behind the games counter all talking to each other. in the backround I could clearly hear the phone ring. They completely ignored it. I asked a girl if there was a problem with the phones and she said " Its nothing to do with me" and pointed to another girl.
    When I asked her about it she said...."I'm not a secretary":mad::mad::mad:

Just a warning to people trying to contact them!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They didn't get my Baby Bjorn either...

... i mean my niece's Baby Bjorn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did you tell a manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Did you tell a manager?

She was the manager:eek:

I've emailed head office about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

http://www.toys.ie/Contact_Us.aspx

Email : cs@toys.ie

Or phone them at 1550 22 66 77 (Calls cost 95c (R.O.I) ;)

DonJose wrote: »
    http://www.toys.ie/Contact_Us.aspx

Email : cs@toys.ie

Or phone them at 1550 22 66 77 (Calls cost 95c (R.O.I) ;)

Done , see post #4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

DonJose wrote: »
    (Calls cost 95c (R.O.I) ;)

Lovely :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Somewhat OT but I assumed Wii's were fairly plentiful now.. i sold mine last month anyhoo!

basquille wrote: »
    Somewhat OT but I assumed Wii's were fairly plentiful now.. i sold mine last month anyhoo!

Wii's are very scarce at the mo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

When I got there later I decided to ring again from my mobile to see what happens.

Clever idea! :D Must do that next I'm ringing somewhere that refuses to answer

(I recall working in an off-license/supermarket in Galway -- guys were going to nick things in the off-license(I was workin in that section) & I rang the customer service desk from there(to quietly inform the security) and the girls were just standing there not answering!!! Asked them why they don't answer and I got "oh...i dont like answering phones... " wtf??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

And that's what happens when you employ young ones to run a business. I would be very suprised if the manager was not sacked. Shocking customer service.

• Advertisement

I did'nt kick up too much as I got the last Wii in stock. But later I thought about it and felt I should warn people about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Used to work in a software zone until a few months ago..its bad if they were just standing there and not answering it but alot of times when its busy its a case that we just couldn't answer the phone. But again there was no more than 3 of us on most times and we were one of the busiest Smyths in the country. When theres 5 of them there then they should be able to answer it. On the flip side (I know its not a valid excuse) for the pay and work conditions I could see why they wouldn't be arsed..that manager you were dealing with was on probably slightly more than somebody working in Dunnes Stores..again not a valid excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On the other hand.......it's very frustrating when at the counter of a shop/business and in the middle of a transaction and the staff continually take telephone calls.

Surely the customer in the actual shop should be dealt with first.

Travel agents and builders providers seem to be the worst offenders in my experience. :(

Email received from Head Office customer service:

Hi *****,

Thank you for your email. Firstly I would like to apologies for any inconvenience caused. I have made the management aware of our your complaint. Again sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Julie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Used to work in a software zone until a few months ago..its bad if they were just standing there and not answering it but alot of times when its busy its a case that we just couldn't answer the phone. But again there was no more than 3 of us on most times and we were one of the busiest Smyths in the country. When theres 5 of them there then they should be able to answer it. On the flip side (I know its not a valid excuse) for the pay and work conditions I could see why they wouldn't be arsed..that manager you were dealing with was on probably slightly more than somebody working in Dunnes Stores..again not a valid excuse

And then people wonder why employers are falling over themselves to hire migrant workers who are way more enthusiastic about the work....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

In the same vein, when I was in college, I was organising my J1 in Trinity's travel agent. The queue was out the door but I noticed they were answering the phone when it rang. So I went outside the door, phoned them on my mobile and had my query sorted immediately instead of queuing for 30 mins!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lundegaard

I may or may not have been a manager in this shop at some time....

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I did'nt kick up too much as I got the last Wii in stock.

lol :D
    Did they tell you that you got the last Wii in stock?
    Oldest selling technique in the book. They tell you it's the last one so you buy it on the spot. If they told you that had 200 out back then you'd think no rush and buy it in a week or two.

Don't take my word for it. The Nintendo forum is full of shop staff and they post about being told to do this by management

The staff might not be able to answer the phone but they know more about sales than you OP :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

I have had a recent experience in that shop that makes me think Smyths should just root out the staff there and retrain them. I won't go into the details but you should never complain about anything. Clueless kids at the checkout refer you to tick angry whiteshirted manager types who are not even bothered to make eye contact.

Advertisement