Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router dhcp table query.

Options
  • 15-10-2007 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I was just browsing through the different features of my dsl router (BT Voyager 2110) and under the 'DHCP Table', it listed two ips with the same host name. I recognise both ip's and the host name is from my pc. I'm just confused as to why both pc's are showing up with the same hostname. Anything sinister going on here or me just being para:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Its probably just showing the dhcp lease the pc got the last time it was booted as well as the current one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

bushy... wrote: »
    Its probably just showing the dhcp lease the pc got the last time it was booted as well as the current one.
    That was my initial reaction but the first entry in the table was for a lease that was displayed as 'expired'. I clicked on refresh a number of times - but the other three remained - 1 - was plugged directly into the router and was powered on and had an active connection to the router at the time. The other two (my pc and the other guy in the house at the time) were connected wirelessly at the time. I recognised all three MAC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If you have alternated between Wired and Wireless it has separate leases for both interfaces (since they have different MACs) from the one PC.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    If you have alternated between Wired and Wireless it has separate leases for both interfaces (since they have different MACs) from the one PC.
    My desktop pc can only connect wirelessly as its located in a different room to the router. He does occassionally connect directly with his macbook pro - but this doesnt explain why MY terminals hostname was associated with HIS MAC does it??

Just to add to the above, I've changed my pc's hostname 3 times since I discovered this. After all three times, the other user on my home network has changed his pc's hostname to match mine (again, this is logged as a dhcp table entry beside his MAC address). This has happened each time during his time online.
    Is there any possible exploit related to terminal hostnames??

• Advertisement
Advertisement